Print

Author Topic: Is Shigeru Miyamoto Good for Nintendo?  (Read 21603 times)

« on: April 02, 2016, 08:18:09 AM »
If he was, is he good currently?

Many hated him for stagnating Super Mario Bros. and ruining Paper Mario.

Though, from what I have read from these blogs, there was more to him that many don't(or didn't) know... and, arguably, worse.

Sean Malstrom Topics
 https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2011/12/08/celebration-of-miyamotos-retirement-day-one/
https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2011/12/10/celebration-of-miyamotos-retirement-day-two/
https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2011/12/11/celebration-of-miyamotos-retirement-day-three/
https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2011/12/12/celebration-of-miyamotos-retirement-day-four/
https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2008/11/19/grassroots-gaming/
https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2012/01/14/celebration-of-miyamotos-retirement-day-six/
https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2014/01/25/eurogamer-suggests-miyamoto-might-be-part-of-the-problem-hardcore-gamers-go-nuts/

Heru Sankofa of Conflicting Views
https://conflictingviews.wordpress.com/2013/07/09/just-fire-miyamoto-nintendo/
https://conflictingviews.wordpress.com/2014/01/09/miyamotos-obsession-with-eliminating-story/

I know some of you hate these blogs. But they really have open my eyes.

It's why I see little love or care for Mario, Nintendo' BIGGEST Franchise! Also, why the Olde Nintendo 3DS was trash(limited battery, bulky design, one control nub, pointless 3D view, etc) And Star Fox became uncool.

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 05:23:29 PM »
At the current time I'm not too interested in the main topic but
pointless 3D view
Was I really the only one who used it on the original? As far as I know none of the people at my school do.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 10:56:40 PM »
I have used 3D on max since day one.

Whenever I happen to look at a 3DS in 2D it looks bizarre, like something is seriously wrong.

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 04:49:21 AM »
I have used 3D on max since day one.

Whenever I happen to look at a 3DS in 2D it looks bizarre, like something is seriously wrong.
You must have some good eyes.

They say 3D Viewing can strain the eyes.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 05:44:56 AM »
I tend not to use it because trying to stay at the right angle to see it is distracting, it sucks on the battery harder than a robotic....vampire, and framerate drops attract gremlins and gnomes
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 10:34:15 AM »
You must have some good eyes.

They say 3D Viewing can strain the eyes.
Crap! I've been viewing things in 3D since I was born!

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 10:47:29 AM »
I've always wondered if my other senses were dulling my sensory impulses by exposing myself to touching sensations and aromatic experiences.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 02:29:12 PM »
I'm really not sure how much Miyamoto does anymore. It seems like he's mostly put other people in charge of the key franchises and he occasionally offers advice/issues mandates. His criticism of the early version of Splatoon spurred the team to go farther with the idea and it birthed a new franchise. It's weird, too, that people latch onto the Sticker Star mandate as their default anti-Miyamoto argument, as if it was the worst thing he ever did. It's almost as if they've forgotten the existance of Wii Music.
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 03:56:33 PM »
Crap! I've been viewing things in 3D since I was born!
We're gonna be blind!
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 02:49:33 PM »
the Olde Nintendo 3DS was trash(limited battery, bulky design, one control nub, pointless 3D view, etc)

Too much Malstrom rots your brain.
Relics.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 02:45:05 AM »
The fact of the matter is that the only thing that matters when you get a game device is whether or not it can play good games that you want to play.

I didn't look up any numbers but I'm quite sure the 3DS has a bigger library than any other games-dedicated machine currently on the market. Because it has its own, the DS, and everything on 3DS Virtual Console. It may be beaten by the Wii U if the Wii simply had that much shovelware, but it doesn't matter for my point, which is the 3DS can play a [dukar] ton of good games.
It's YOUR problem!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 12:33:05 AM »
The thing I don't understand about all the people saying Nintendo is going downhill and become a stagnant cesspool--and hey, maybe they're right, maybe the era of yearly Mario Party was the pinnacle--is that none of them ever talk about what they've been playing lately instead of the crappy Nintendo games. By which I do not mean there's nothing else to play. There is! Other games exist. Other good games Nintendo didn't make, publish or get on their machines are just waiting for you to play them.

If you trust Nintendo to make games you'll like more than you trust yourself to do a little research and decide whether you'll like something unfamiliar, that's on you. It's a market competing for your money, you can't be a loser in that battle unless you commit to a side
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 12:08:15 PM »
It's a good thing some consumers buy things they want/like.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 12:31:18 AM »
Any company can go through down times and make a comeback.

Everyone said the same thing about Disney in the 70s and 80s. They made some good films in that timespan, but it's not like they were innovating and turning out a Snow White or creating films on the same level as Cinderella or Bambi. Everyone knows Cinderella and Bambi today, but who can name at least four of the Disney animated features released between 1968-1988?

In fact, Disney was profiting a lot from re-releases of earlier movies. People still came out to see Snow White forty years after it came out (people would still come to see it eighty years later). Everyone appreciates a classic like Snow White, just like people appreciate well-done new stuff. Trouble is, the new stuff just wasn't living up to the Snow White standards set by some. That's not to say Disney wasn't releasing new stuff, but it wasn't as well-received as the old. This also extended into TV, where the New Mickey Mouse Club, despite being a good show, never gained the traction of the original 1950s show.

Nintendo is likely in the same position right now. They had their big hit with characters in the 80s, just like Disney did with Mickey, Donald, Goofy, and the other cartoon characters. They made it big with particular games in the 90s, with or without those characters, sort of like Disney did with Snow White and subsequent features.

Then, things got stale. Disney kept coming out with random films about talking animals. Nintendo kept coming out with new ways to rehash old games.

Disney had the "renaissance" starting in with Little Mermaid, then Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Lion King. Those four films were huge winners in every respect and still are, becoming to Gen Xers and Millenials what Snow White was to the Greatest Generation. After another period of dud films, they hit it big with Tangled and Frozen this decade.

As you can see, things go in cycles. Nintendo will do the same as long as they keep up with the times. The humor, music style, and animation style of Little Mermaid is different from that of Snow White since it needs to be kept current and appeal to a new generation of viewers. The same is true if you compare those films with Frozen. Nintendo will have to do the same with games. You can't have Mario Party 18 where it plays just like Mario Party 1. You can't have New Super Mario Bros games that all look and feel the same. You can't have stupid and overused storylines.

At some point, you may even need to introduce a new character. Disney did this with the princesses. Everyone thought the sorority roster was complete until three new ones came for initiation in the past six years. This came, of course, after a decade of crappy sequels to the original movies. Look at the current Smash Brothers roster. Most of those characters fall into these categories: Nintendo icon, clone of Nintendo icon, supporting character unfamiliar to someone who hasn't played that franchise, or character from a long time ago that nobody really cares about because they haven't had a game in years. (No Earthbound games since 1995 and we still get their characters? That would be like Disney having Ratigan as a meet-and-greet character).

Trouble is, Nintendo is in the process of making crappy sequels. Everything feels like it's already been done before. To get to the original question, Miyamoto is still good for Nintendo if and only if he can get his creative genius back. Otherwise, you need to draft a new team, and you need to make it one on par with the one Disney used from 1989-1994 and from 2010-2013.

One final note: on the subject of Smash Bros and the other games with many characters, let's cut the rosters down. The Wii U Smash Bros has more characters than anyone would know what to do with, and Mario Kart 8 is the same way. 12 is a good number, 16 is a bit high but could work. Anything more than that is just chaos--it's like a Christmas card list where you have to remind yourself how you know those people.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 01:48:44 AM »
Frozen was kind of okayish
It's YOUR problem!

Print