Print

Author Topic: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games announced for Wii and DS  (Read 30300 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: March 28, 2007, 04:03:14 AM »
Mario and Sonic will appear together in a game for the first time in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, announced today by Nintendo and SEGA. Based on the upcoming Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, a lineup of familiar characters including Mario, Sonic, Luigi, Knuckles, Yoshi, and Tails will compete in a variety of events on the Wii and DS. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games is scheduled for a Holiday 2007 release.

Link: Official Site
Link: NOA Press Release
Link: NCL Press Release
Link: SOA Press Release
Link: Sega Co. Press Release
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 01:49:39 PM by Deezer »

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 04:27:03 AM »
Wow, this is quite the occasion, a Mario and Sonic game. I'll bet that people from the Genesis years never saw this one coming. But I guess plenty of people got their wish, a Mario and Sonic game. Fortunately, this means a greater chance of Sonic characters in SSBB. Finally, however, people morons will stop asking stuff like "omg wut if mario and sonic got in 2 a fite????????" Well, at least a good number of them hopefully will.

Of course, it's obvious that Sonic can run faster than Mario. That was one of the main reasons for creating Sonic. Additionally, I'm not sure if it's linked from Deezer's article, however here's an image one guy in #tmk showed us. Looks legit to me.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 04:41:37 AM by SolidShroom »

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 05:12:35 AM »
And I thought the crossover in Mario Hoops was weird! How (or rather, will) Nintendo explain this one?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 05:43:51 AM »
When I first heard that NOA was putting Mario and Sonic in a game together, my heart stopped. I almost thought they were going to confirm that Sonic was in SSBB.

A pretty weird announcement. Like, finallly bringing two mascot charcter together for...the olympics? Still, once we get some screenshots, this game is pretty interesting. But, who's developing it? Sega or Nintendo?
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 06:59:56 AM »
http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/?v=news&p=12172

Another website claiming this to be true
"Oh east, I thought you said 'weast'" Patrick

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 09:21:16 AM »
Umm, we got press releases directly from Nintendo and Sega.  We don't need "confirmation."

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 10:57:13 AM »
It's great that Mario and Sonic characters are finally appearing in a game together, though I hate how Toad isn't even mentioned in the press release.

I hope Toad also appears in this game. I wonder who his Sonic character rival would be?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 11:33:13 AM »
0__________________o

The only thing I have to say is that it reminds me of the episode of the Superman animated series where Superman got sidetracked while having a "Fastest Man Alive" race against The Flash.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 01:04:40 PM »
I hope Toad also appears in this game. I wonder who his Sonic character rival would be?
Hmm, maybe a Chao?

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 04:01:43 PM »
Dang. I knew it had to happen someday, but I didn't think it would be so soon. Mario and Sonic finally get a game together.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 07:42:05 PM »
As someone who grew up in the 1990s, I can't wait for this.
I'll think of a better signature later!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 08:16:43 PM »
Well, this falls into the category of one of those sports spin-offs I don't really care for. Sonic's inclusion has nothing at all to do with my decision to not get this game. On the subject of Mario + Sonic... I don't know. Does Sonic really fit into the Mushroom Kingdom? Does Mario fit into... Err... (my Sonic knowledge is minimal, sorry.)

Edit: I'm all for Sonic in Brawl, though. Super Smash Bros. is already a Halloween bag of a game as it is, so why not?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 08:19:44 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 08:21:14 PM »
Well, this is "at the Olympic Games," so we don't have to worry about Mario and Sonic being out of their respective lands. Though the location opens another can of worms...
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 03:41:04 AM »
I thought this was an April Fool's joke for sure until I realized one thing. If it were, they wouldn't have drug the Olympics into it and gone to the trouble of using the offical logo. With that said:

W T D

Also, good job immediately writing this game off, Bird, after hearing nothing but the title.

P.S. I call Mario for the high-jump and Sonic for the 100m dash. Also Knuckles for wrestling.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 07:58:05 AM »
And Yoshi, Luigi, or Tails would all be good for the long jump.

Print