Print

Author Topic: Tetris DS  (Read 20522 times)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« on: January 10, 2006, 10:32:46 AM »
The long blue bar. The yellow block. And those darn zigzag things whose images stay on your brain. These familiar Tetris shapes started a generation of video game fans. Now Nintendo is putting a new spin on the classic with Tetris® DS, available March 20 exclusively for Nintendo DS, which incorporates the use of Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection, Nintendo's wireless gaming service.

Hard-core and casual gamers alike became obsessed with the original. Tetris DS builds on that emotional attachment by combining the original game with new types of game play that could only be possible on Nintendo DS.

Each of the six modes of play features a theme based on a classic Nintendo game, such as Super Mario Bros.®, The Legend of Zelda® or Metroid®. The traditional Tetriminos (falling blocks) and line-clearing strategy remain the staples of the game, but the touch screen adds a new element of interactivity.

Some modes give players special Tetris puzzles to solve. Others feature head-to-head action between two players, or massive wireless battles between 10 DS users, even if only one player has a game card. Players also can log onto Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to compete in two- or four-player battles. Tetris DS even includes a point-based rating system based on players' battle results. Opponents can see one another's ratings, which indicate their skill levels.

Every gamer, whether competitive or casual, will find a way to reconnect with one of the most popular puzzle games in history.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 01:46:31 PM »
Hot diggity-dang!

And I guess that's another game to cover on TMK...

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 01:50:33 PM »
Sounds cool, I might buy that.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 04:22:59 PM »
My dreams... coming true...

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 04:49:13 PM »
Great. Time to be owned in this game. Worldwide that is.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 07:11:44 PM »

Source: http://press.nintendo.com/object?id=8748 (password required)
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 08:20:57 PM »
Hey look, I'm player 1.

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 08:58:37 PM »

After that post, I am determined to buy that as soon as I can.
I'm a horrible person.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 09:45:11 PM »
Boo item!!!!!?

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 09:48:30 PM »
When will this thing come out?!?!? I really can't wait!!!
I'm a horrible person.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 10:05:43 PM »
When will this thing come out?!?!? I really can't wait!!!
Read the first paragraph of the first post.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 10:08:02 PM »
Oh sorry, I just skipped over that thinking that it meant somthing about 20 years. ;D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 10:09:54 PM by Bigluigifan1.0 »
I'm a horrible person.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 10:14:08 PM »
Yeah.  I thought the same thing when I first saw it on press.nintendo earlier today.

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 10:33:29 AM »
Ha, we've been thinking alike a couple of times now.
I'm a horrible person.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 01:51:43 PM »
The only thing that bothers me about Tetris is the ever-increasing number of blocks given to you in the "next" queue. Original Tetris only showed one. Recent versions give you four -- some with a "hold" box for you to store that long skinny block. Now you get six?! How much easier can you make this?

That said, the theme look awesome, and I'm curious as to what the "items" do. I think I might wind up buying this. I mean, it's Tetris. You can't go wrong with Tetris. Ever.
~I.S.~

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 02:46:55 PM »
Tetris + Mario + wireless multiplayer + wifi = probably can't go wrong.  Woohoo!

Maybe the Boo steals one of your opponenets' saved Tetris blocks?  I don't know what else it could be.  Maybe just a distraction thing like lots of Boos flying around the opponent's screens.

The only thing that bothers me about Tetris is the ever-increasing number of blocks given to you in the "next" queue. Original Tetris only showed one. Recent versions give you four -- some with a "hold" box for you to store that long skinny block. Now you get six?! How much easier can you make this?

I agree with that.  But if the blocks move really fast then it would help a lot to see that far ahead.  And maybe you can choose to have less previews than that on harder modes.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 02:49:46 PM by Yoshisaurus Rex »
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 03:22:12 PM »
Tetris + Mario + wireless multiplayer + wifi = probably can't go wrong.  Woohoo!

Maybe the Boo steals one of your opponenets' saved Tetris blocks?  I don't know what else it could be.  Maybe just a distraction thing like lots of Boos flying around the opponent's screens.

I agree with that.  But if the blocks move really fast then it would help a lot to see that far ahead.  And maybe you can choose to have less previews than that on harder modes.

I was actually going to say a simialr thing. But I would also like to add that Tetris was very hard on the Nintendo because there were not too many see ahead blocks. It just sorta bums me out that they are ever adding more see ahead squares. But then again, if every game were the same, no one would buy the new ones, since it is just a copy.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2006, 02:33:57 PM »
I put forth the idea that having more preview squares actually serves to increase the advantage a skilled player can have over a n00b. Sure, more preview = more easy seems the obvious relation, but is it really true? Much as a master chess player plans many moves in advance, master Tetris players will now have the chance to do the same and raise their scores and speed to new heights.

It's a change from classic in-the-dark Tetris, to be sure, but I'll always take a change emphasizing skill over a change emphasizing randomness.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2006, 03:53:57 PM »

That said, the theme look awesome, and I'm curious as to what the "items" do. I think I might wind up buying this. I mean, it's Tetris. You can't go wrong with Tetris. Ever.

I'm with IS concerning the "next" and "hold" features. The Next window should only show one block into the future, if at all, and the hold feature?! Oi! Throw it out the window.

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2006, 07:14:48 PM »
Are you a master chess player, LD?  Could you pawn us all?
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2006, 10:27:23 PM »
hyuk hyuk hyuk

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2006, 01:09:54 PM »
Mario and Tetris together? Sweet! Although I'm not a real tetris player, Mario makes me want to get up and grab that game.
Werid Fortune Cookies- Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2006, 02:24:29 PM »
Hm.... I'm not too good at tetris... I have a demo on my cell, but I don't think that's good enough for practice.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2006, 07:09:34 PM »
No, I'd get rooked.

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2006, 07:01:49 PM »
Castle Kingside.
Imagine, Tetris online! sounds like fun
Hey, wazzap? It's the Phred-guy! Isn't that nifty?

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2006, 09:05:36 PM »
Yes, Tetris DS sounds pretty interesting.

But I've seen the screenshots for the game, and although it looks just fine, the backdrops behind the playing field really aren't very impressive.

Well, to me anyway.
lumpia (LOOM'·pee·ah") n.
A Filipino variation of the egg roll. It consists of more meat, less vegetable and is generally better tasting. :p

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2006, 05:56:34 AM »
Are they just backdrops, or are they animated?  Maybe the characters in the backgrounds respond to your playing, so if you do something really awesome (like clear four lines at once) the character in the background will do something awesome too.
Just a thought...

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2006, 01:30:04 PM »
NOA Press is slowly releasing info on the six modes of gameplay.

Quote from: NOA Press
Standard: This Mario-themed mode features the same addictive game play that made the original Tetris so wildly popular. Players guide falling Tetriminos (falling blocks) and form horizontal lines to clear them away. Mario™ runs around Super Mario Bros.® levels in the background.

Touch: This unique take on Tetris really shows off the touch-screen capability of Nintendo DS. Players use a stylus to drag and move Tetriminos in a giant stack to make them fall into horizontal lines. In early levels, they can tap Tetriminos to spin them just the way they need them. Players have as much time as they need to carefully plan their moves, so it plays very differently from the other frantic modes.
Touch mode appears to be Balloon Fight-themed.

I put forth the idea that having more preview squares actually serves to increase the advantage a skilled player can have over a n00b. Sure, more preview = more easy seems the obvious relation, but is it really true? Much as a master chess player plans many moves in advance, master Tetris players will now have the chance to do the same and raise their scores and speed to new heights.

It's a change from classic in-the-dark Tetris, to be sure, but I'll always take a change emphasizing skill over a change emphasizing randomness.
I completely disagree.  First of all, I played the THQ-developed Tetris Worlds for GC.  I couldn't believe that it was possible to break Tetris so badly.  The game completely lost its challenge.  You can't really emphasize skill if the fun of the game is based on quick action decisions.  What did they do wrong?  1. They show a queue of blocks, 6 of them like this version.  I submit that this actually reduces skill because part of the skill of Tetris was deciding whether to keep stacking up blocks waiting for the Long Block (with the potential of it never arriving and losing) or playing it safe, but losing out on scoring.  2. The ability to store a piece.  This has the same problem as #1.  This insurance policy rebalances Tetris, making it too easy.  3. They added a grid.  Obviously this makes it easier in that you're less likely to make an alignment error.  4. The music sucked.  I hope they bring back Russian music, but I'm not counting on it.  Also, I seem to remember something weird about the controls, hopefully that won't be a problem in this version.  I'm not sure if Nintendo started from scratch with this game, or if they started work from THQ's now-cancelled version of Tetris DS.  From what I understand, the THQ version was absolutely horrible and looked nothing like this version.  I hope some of these "features" are customizable in the final game.

Imagine, Tetris online! sounds like fun
Imagine?  I've been playing Tetris online since 1997.  The games TetriNET and TetriNET 2 are 6-player online versions of Tetris with special attacks.  I'm interested in seeing how Tetris DS's attacks work.  It seems like you only get one attack, whereas in TetriNET, you can store many attacks.  This is where I believe the best balance lies between strategy and challenge.  Personally, I think that the extra screen space taken by the block queue should instead be used for an attack queue.  I'm also interested in seeing how crazy 10-player matches get, and whether or not you can have teams like in TetriNET.  This game has tons of potential, I really hope they don't screw it up.

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2006, 03:51:16 PM »
Box art for Tetris DS.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2006, 04:37:14 PM »
That's the old THQ boxart.  The new one will be different.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2006, 02:35:52 PM »
I'd rather have online Tetris Attack than online Tetris.  Or better yet, online Nintendo Puzzle Collection.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2006, 03:22:58 PM »
I'd rather have online Tetris Attack than online Tetris.  Or better yet, online Nintendo Puzzle Collection.

QFE

Although, I'd probably wind up becoming addicted to it.
~I.S.~

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2006, 05:18:06 PM »
Bleh, I really don't get why Tetris Attack is so popular... I really wish they'd bring back Wario's Woods.

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2006, 05:20:20 PM »
Hm... I don't think I've ever played Wario's Woods. Was it for GBC or GBO?

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2006, 05:21:31 PM »
I've never played Wario's Woods but it looks really interesting.  I might download it on Revolution.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2006, 05:26:29 PM »
The first version of Tetris Attack I ever played was Pokemon Puzzle League for the N64. My wife and I were addicted the two player games.

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2006, 05:27:29 PM »
What kind of game was Wario's Woods?

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2006, 06:19:52 PM »
What kind of game was Wario's Woods?
It was a puzzle game, much like Tetris Attack.  You had these multicolored .. blob.. animal.. things that you had to pair up according to color.  Even though it was called Wario's Woods, you played as Toad, who picked up the animals and moved them around (think SMB2).

I actually played the game by getting the NES cart on the Gamecube version of Animal Crossing.
A Filipino variation of the egg roll. It consists of more meat, less vegetable and is generally better tasting. :p

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2006, 07:34:43 PM »
Except it was nothing at all like Tetris Attack.  Wario's Woods was for NES and SNES, but as Unlimited Lumpia mentioned, it is available in Animal Crossing.  You didn't control individual blocks, you actually moved Toad around on the playing field, walking and climbing over the pieces.  You had to clear enemy creatures by stacking up bombs in such a way that they would line up (horizontal, vertical, or diagonal, depending on enemy).  Once all the enemies were gone, the stage was cleared.  The bombs fell from the top and you moved Toad around to catch or pick up the bombs and animals.  Time would change between Birdo mode and Wario mode, in Birdo mode only bombs fall... in Wario mode, more enemies fall and whenever Wario slams the screen, the ceiling would drop, leaving less room to maneuver.  The ceiling could be raised by getting combos.  There were several other modes of play, such as clearing a stage as quickly as possible, or a mode where boss enemies joined the playing field.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 01:02:15 AM by MEGAߥTE »

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2006, 11:14:13 PM »
Wait, MB, exactly how many levels were there in the SNES version of Wario's Woods's Stage clear mode? I think I was in the 120s, but I'm not sure if it goes on forever, or actually ends. I stopped playing it because every level started looking like every other level. Another really fun puzzle game I haven't played in a while.

I remember buying it on a whim because Toys 'R' Us had a bunch of them in a bin for $9.99. A very well-spent 10 bucks, may I add.
~I.S.~

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2006, 11:17:27 PM »
I have Tetris Elements on my computer and used to have the original Tetris for Game Boy. I <3 tetris. I just might buy this game, especially if it has WiFi, but there's one little thing. Everyone raves about how great Meteos is, but I bought it because I had some cash and there weren't any games I was interested in at the mo'. At the time, the best DS games were Kirby: Canvas Curse and Meteos. My encounter with past Kirby games told me that most Kirby games are the same, since I had gotten Nightmare in Dreamland. So I got Meteos. It was fun for the month or so that I played it, and have barely touched it since. I hope Tetris doesn't end the same way.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2006, 11:41:19 PM »
My sister has Tetris on her GB (which she doesn't even play) and won't let me have it. So cruel... Didn't they rerelease it with Dr. Mario on GBA a little bit ago?
It's YOUR problem!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2006, 01:01:35 AM »
Wait, MB, exactly how many levels were there in the SNES version of Wario's Woods's Stage clear mode?

I'm not sure, I had the NES version, which eventually did end... two of the modes had 99 levels each.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2006, 02:41:45 AM »
Oh boo, the Nintendo WFC portion of the game is only 2 or 4 players instead of up to 10.

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2006, 03:49:49 AM »
You mean those promising screenshots are just regular mulitplayer? I was afraid of that.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2006, 12:00:24 PM »
Yep :(

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2006, 04:32:51 PM »
Heck, I'm psyched that there's a WFC mode at all. Is there an annouced release date? I didn't look at the first post too closely.

EDIT: March 20th. Time to bust out the calendar.

Luigison

• Old Person™

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2006, 08:41:30 AM »
Awsome!!
Want, want, want!
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2006, 06:31:12 PM »
Wow. Touch mode looks a lot cooler/more fun than I imagined. I think this game leaps up to #1 on my Most Wanted list.

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2006, 10:32:50 PM »
I like the groovy background music they have.

The visuals are way cool as well (much better than I expected).  And I like the little sparkles that fly off when the piece "locks" into place.  Nice.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2006, 12:03:36 AM »
Now, I'm not really a Tetris guy (boos are heard from the other forumers) but this game really attracts me. I don't have a Tertis game except for the demo on my cell phone, and this looks like a lot of fun... and we haven't even seen wifi yet.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2006, 06:46:57 AM »
I like the groovy background music they have.
Haha, that's actually one of the main reasons why I thought it was awsome.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2006, 09:07:47 AM »
ign.com had a hands-on with Tetris DS:
http://ds.ign.com/articles/690/690763p1.html

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2006, 08:17:41 PM »
"By removing Question Blocks that appear randomly in your bin, you'll be awarded with a random power-up.  Take, for example, the red turtle shell that'll knock out a stack of blocks in your bin to make room for more pieces."  Cool!

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2006, 08:34:52 AM »

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2006, 07:44:34 PM »
I hope it has the original tetris music we all know and love. (starts whistling the A-type music.)
Loyal nintendo fan since 1991! WTMK Is the best radio station EVER! Super Mario will never die!!!!!!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2006, 08:13:28 PM »
It doesn't look like it will. I like the new music better, though.

EDIT: It think the Puzzle mode would be neater if it had a thing that let you make your own puzzles, then upload them to Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection so others can download them.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 01:13:53 PM by MaxVance »
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2006, 12:12:34 PM »
IGN posted seven new videos yesterday:  http://media.ds.ign.com/media/726/726069/vids_1.html

« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2006, 02:45:45 PM »
Whoa, I didn't know this game had a Super Mario Bros. 3 theme in it!

I'm definitely getting this now. I already suspected it would be awesome after I saw a preview of it in Game Informer, plus it's one of the only video games my mom seems to be interested in playing.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

Print