Print

Author Topic: Tetris DS  (Read 20499 times)

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 02:46:55 PM »
Tetris + Mario + wireless multiplayer + wifi = probably can't go wrong.  Woohoo!

Maybe the Boo steals one of your opponenets' saved Tetris blocks?  I don't know what else it could be.  Maybe just a distraction thing like lots of Boos flying around the opponent's screens.

The only thing that bothers me about Tetris is the ever-increasing number of blocks given to you in the "next" queue. Original Tetris only showed one. Recent versions give you four -- some with a "hold" box for you to store that long skinny block. Now you get six?! How much easier can you make this?

I agree with that.  But if the blocks move really fast then it would help a lot to see that far ahead.  And maybe you can choose to have less previews than that on harder modes.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 02:49:46 PM by Yoshisaurus Rex »
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 03:22:12 PM »
Tetris + Mario + wireless multiplayer + wifi = probably can't go wrong.  Woohoo!

Maybe the Boo steals one of your opponenets' saved Tetris blocks?  I don't know what else it could be.  Maybe just a distraction thing like lots of Boos flying around the opponent's screens.

I agree with that.  But if the blocks move really fast then it would help a lot to see that far ahead.  And maybe you can choose to have less previews than that on harder modes.

I was actually going to say a simialr thing. But I would also like to add that Tetris was very hard on the Nintendo because there were not too many see ahead blocks. It just sorta bums me out that they are ever adding more see ahead squares. But then again, if every game were the same, no one would buy the new ones, since it is just a copy.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2006, 02:33:57 PM »
I put forth the idea that having more preview squares actually serves to increase the advantage a skilled player can have over a n00b. Sure, more preview = more easy seems the obvious relation, but is it really true? Much as a master chess player plans many moves in advance, master Tetris players will now have the chance to do the same and raise their scores and speed to new heights.

It's a change from classic in-the-dark Tetris, to be sure, but I'll always take a change emphasizing skill over a change emphasizing randomness.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2006, 03:53:57 PM »
The only thing that bothers me about Tetris is the ever-increasing number of blocks given to you in the "next" queue. Original Tetris only showed one. Recent versions give you four -- some with a "hold" box for you to store that long skinny block. Now you get six?! How much easier can you make this?

That said, the theme look awesome, and I'm curious as to what the "items" do. I think I might wind up buying this. I mean, it's Tetris. You can't go wrong with Tetris. Ever.

I'm with IS concerning the "next" and "hold" features. The Next window should only show one block into the future, if at all, and the hold feature?! Oi! Throw it out the window.

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2006, 07:14:48 PM »
Are you a master chess player, LD?  Could you pawn us all?
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2006, 10:27:23 PM »
hyuk hyuk hyuk

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2006, 01:09:54 PM »
Mario and Tetris together? Sweet! Although I'm not a real tetris player, Mario makes me want to get up and grab that game.
Werid Fortune Cookies- Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2006, 02:24:29 PM »
Hm.... I'm not too good at tetris... I have a demo on my cell, but I don't think that's good enough for practice.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2006, 07:09:34 PM »
No, I'd get rooked.

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2006, 07:01:49 PM »
Castle Kingside.
Imagine, Tetris online! sounds like fun
Hey, wazzap? It's the Phred-guy! Isn't that nifty?

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2006, 09:05:36 PM »
Yes, Tetris DS sounds pretty interesting.

But I've seen the screenshots for the game, and although it looks just fine, the backdrops behind the playing field really aren't very impressive.

Well, to me anyway.
lumpia (LOOM'·pee·ah") n.
A Filipino variation of the egg roll. It consists of more meat, less vegetable and is generally better tasting. :p

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2006, 05:56:34 AM »
Are they just backdrops, or are they animated?  Maybe the characters in the backgrounds respond to your playing, so if you do something really awesome (like clear four lines at once) the character in the background will do something awesome too.
Just a thought...

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2006, 01:30:04 PM »
NOA Press is slowly releasing info on the six modes of gameplay.

Quote from: NOA Press
Standard: This Mario-themed mode features the same addictive game play that made the original Tetris so wildly popular. Players guide falling Tetriminos (falling blocks) and form horizontal lines to clear them away. Mario™ runs around Super Mario Bros.® levels in the background.

Touch: This unique take on Tetris really shows off the touch-screen capability of Nintendo DS. Players use a stylus to drag and move Tetriminos in a giant stack to make them fall into horizontal lines. In early levels, they can tap Tetriminos to spin them just the way they need them. Players have as much time as they need to carefully plan their moves, so it plays very differently from the other frantic modes.
Touch mode appears to be Balloon Fight-themed.

I put forth the idea that having more preview squares actually serves to increase the advantage a skilled player can have over a n00b. Sure, more preview = more easy seems the obvious relation, but is it really true? Much as a master chess player plans many moves in advance, master Tetris players will now have the chance to do the same and raise their scores and speed to new heights.

It's a change from classic in-the-dark Tetris, to be sure, but I'll always take a change emphasizing skill over a change emphasizing randomness.
I completely disagree.  First of all, I played the THQ-developed Tetris Worlds for GC.  I couldn't believe that it was possible to break Tetris so badly.  The game completely lost its challenge.  You can't really emphasize skill if the fun of the game is based on quick action decisions.  What did they do wrong?  1. They show a queue of blocks, 6 of them like this version.  I submit that this actually reduces skill because part of the skill of Tetris was deciding whether to keep stacking up blocks waiting for the Long Block (with the potential of it never arriving and losing) or playing it safe, but losing out on scoring.  2. The ability to store a piece.  This has the same problem as #1.  This insurance policy rebalances Tetris, making it too easy.  3. They added a grid.  Obviously this makes it easier in that you're less likely to make an alignment error.  4. The music sucked.  I hope they bring back Russian music, but I'm not counting on it.  Also, I seem to remember something weird about the controls, hopefully that won't be a problem in this version.  I'm not sure if Nintendo started from scratch with this game, or if they started work from THQ's now-cancelled version of Tetris DS.  From what I understand, the THQ version was absolutely horrible and looked nothing like this version.  I hope some of these "features" are customizable in the final game.

Imagine, Tetris online! sounds like fun
Imagine?  I've been playing Tetris online since 1997.  The games TetriNET and TetriNET 2 are 6-player online versions of Tetris with special attacks.  I'm interested in seeing how Tetris DS's attacks work.  It seems like you only get one attack, whereas in TetriNET, you can store many attacks.  This is where I believe the best balance lies between strategy and challenge.  Personally, I think that the extra screen space taken by the block queue should instead be used for an attack queue.  I'm also interested in seeing how crazy 10-player matches get, and whether or not you can have teams like in TetriNET.  This game has tons of potential, I really hope they don't screw it up.

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2006, 03:51:16 PM »
Box art for Tetris DS.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2006, 04:37:14 PM »
That's the old THQ boxart.  The new one will be different.

Print