Print

Author Topic: Nintendo Revolution renamed  (Read 24347 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2006, 01:57:47 PM »
Eeh, I'll warm up to it. Eventually. Justr because I know it'll replace my DVD player, N64 (which I'll keep in a box somewhere), my (broken) GameCube, and it'll be the functional NES I never had. That reduces the wires in my room to... not very many.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2006, 05:50:59 PM »
I am definitely keeping my fingers crossed that the name will change. Even if it doesn't, the idea is cool and it will still be an awesome system, Revolution or Wii.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2006, 06:32:16 PM »
Hmmmm.... You think maybe, they changed the name so people would notice that the system is going to exist, hated or not, but then change it back to make it even MORE popular? That would be marketing genius.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2006, 09:32:42 PM »
The people who know the name Wii already knew the Revolution existed.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2006, 10:12:00 PM »
The people who know the name Wii already knew the Revolution existed.
Not necessarily.  The Wii name change was widely published.  It's quite possible that people could have read or heard about it that didn't know about the Revolution before.  Casual or nongamers that is. Also, casual gamers may be more likely to read gaming news prior to E3.  Maybe a few of the new Nintendo fans who bought Nintendogs/Brain Age would now notice Wii.  The Wii name has also lead to a lot of jokes and jokes spread fast.  Not to mention the parents, teachers, and others who didn't know about the Revolution may have overheard talk of Wii and got interested or asked questions.  Wii has generated a lot of Buzz.  It was at the top of Googles tech news for several days and was number three as of this post.  It caused many websites like howstuffworks.com to rewrite their Revolution articles and repost them on the first page.  Wii was also used in at least 248 YTMND's at the time of this post.  No matter what Wii think of the name, any news is good news.  I also think it was smart of Nintendo to annouce the name change now to bring Wii/Revolution back into the news and not have the name change alone be the talk of E3.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 10:17:31 PM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2006, 04:04:12 AM »
Yes, no matter what you think of the name, you have to admit that getting it out of the way before E3 was a wise, wise move.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2006, 07:43:53 AM »
*snort* I shoulda thought of that.
But why should Nintendo stop at Wii? Why not the Centrally Replayable Atomic Player, or CRAP? Or a portable NES, the PNES? The possibilities are endless.

By the way, I noticed "Wii" also sounds like "wee", as in "small". Could this be a prediction (i.e., the smallest-selling next-gen console) mayhaps? I mean, there is one game confirmed for Wii, Red Steel by UbiSoft, which has about 360-quality graphics and looks about the coolest thing ever, but is that enough?

Then again, what if this is all...a hoax? The name change could be fake, and it would really be called Revolution and actually be much smaller, and the claims of barely-upgraded graphics would be fake? WHAT IF?
every

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2006, 09:13:12 AM »
I don't know.  If Nintendo wants to attract casual and non-gamers, like they say they do, then the powerful code-name, which we all loved, might not be the way to go.  As much as I prefer Revolution, I think Nintendo should stick with Wii.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2006, 09:16:48 AM »
When you see the graphics, you will say WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :\

Kojinka: I don't think many casual gamers and non-gamers are gonna want to play with a Wii. I mean, the name's so weird, it'll probably scare them away...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 08:22:06 PM by PaperMario »

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2006, 01:49:57 PM »
just seen this.

What... the.......
Wii. How to say, that is about as dumb as naming the Xbox 360 "XX" or Xbox 2. (just an idea) How they Describe the name as if they are talking about God or something. But Wii? Thats not a name. Thats someone's luggage combination. To me I will always call it the Nintendo Revolution. Not Wii. I'll bet Microsoft is laughing thier heads off.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2006, 02:04:11 PM »
Probably. I don't think Nintendo's going to look like a Godzilla to the other contenders and consumers if they call their system Wii. If Nintendo really wants a revolution, they should stick with Revolution. Like PaperMario said, the name Wii might scare people away, instead of something better like Revolution, which is sort of what I'm trying to say.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2006, 03:23:01 PM »
That Movie really scares me...

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2006, 04:31:27 PM »
Didn't someone prove that was fake?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2006, 05:20:47 PM »
Yeah. That one's not going to happen.
It's YOUR problem!