Print

Author Topic: E3 2006: Super Paper Mario  (Read 20119 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: May 09, 2006, 02:40:55 PM »
Super Paper Mario™
Format: Nintendo GameCube™
Launch Date: Q4 2006
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Game Type: 2-D/3-D Sidescrolling Platformer with Role-Playing Elements
Players: 1
Developer: Intelligent Systems
KEY INFORMATION
The newest chapter of the Paper Mario story isn’t just out of this world … it’s out of this dimension.
• What at first glance appears to be a 2-D sidescroller ripped straight from the pages of the Paper Mario universe soon turns into a 3-D action-adventure that defies all video game logic. Fusing 2-D and 3-D perspectives, not to mention RPG and platformer elements, the game slips back and forth between dimensions. The action sprawls across eight worlds filled with traps, puzzles, bizarre mysteries and items that often draw themselves out of thin air.
• Oh, and just because Mario’s in the title doesn’t mean he’s the only star – players also get to play as Peach and Bowser.

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 03:40:54 PM »
I'm a horrible person.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 05:24:54 PM »
Oh my. Oh my grosh. Need this, I do.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 05:55:47 PM »
Ah, a little going away present for GC owners. Thank you, Nintendo.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 06:27:52 PM »
My wish is finally fufilled! A 3-D Super Mario Bros.!
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 06:28:52 PM »
THAT"S FRIGGIN AWESOME! I can't wait!!! Now right now, on Paper Mario, all I have to do is beat the friggin Shadow Queen.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 06:43:30 PM »
Good Lord!!! I actually had an idea for this quite some time ago. They never cease to amaze us.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 06:46:53 PM »
I'm guessing that this is going to be just like the Bowser Levels in PMTTYD (except for the 3D portions). I always thought that would've made a perfect game on its own.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 07:10:04 PM »

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 09:35:09 PM »
Besides the distracting colorful arrow face behind you and what looks like no more real time battles, the game looks very intresting. The puzzels must be awsome with the new isometric view. And the pixel designed levels is genius.
Senior Mariology professor

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 10:48:52 PM »
In the video where they show Peach swapped in for Mario, it made me think of how they should've totally remade SMB2 with swappable characters.

Edit: Also, I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing, but immediately after the video ended, The Price is Right theme song popped in my head and it won't go away.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 11:02:45 PM by Deezer »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 11:17:12 PM »
I don't know if Mario & Peach just switched... I think it looked more like the video was cut and they showed Peach in the same position. Either is a good sign... it must mean you can use any character on any level... So this could very well be a full-length Super Bowser, if you wanted it to be. There are likely levels that you MUST use a specific character on, for one reason or another. I HAVE ANTICIPATION!
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 04:51:03 AM »
At first glance this looked like a fan-made game using ripped PMTTYD sprites, but it looks like really cool nonetheless. ("Bowser and Peach are to be married by some evil-looking guy. Can Mario save the day again?")

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 08:03:53 AM »
Woah!  It's like the cratridges of SMB and Paper Mario simultaneously exploded during gameplay!  Or else it's one of Shigeru's worst nightmare.  Must play.
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 10:41:15 AM »
I will be completely sold if this game includes Luigi as a playable character and features cameos from Mario's past partners or better yet, make them playable too. A proper farewell to the Gamecube I guess along with Twilight Princess.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 12:54:46 PM »
They have square roots in the sky. The Peach and Bowser marriage thing really suprised me. I think that we might be able to play any character (Bowser, Mario, Peach). ANd then look at the screenshot with Peach in a little village thingie (and more numbers in the sky) There is a talk box and so they can communicate in the game! Paper Mario/Super Mario!!!
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 02:42:08 PM »
Looks to me a lot like Castlevainia, but still is absoulute Greatness. For awhile I thought they gave up the GameCube.

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 03:30:10 PM »
Wow.  This is, like, exactly what I've been waiting for!  But... what ever happened to the good old RPG style?  :-(  (and math isn't really my thing). 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 03:37:34 PM by The Blue Toad »
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 03:41:42 PM »
It's really cool only they used the same character sprites on some characters. But I thik it will be a great game.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 05:28:01 PM »
im definetly buying this game. paper mario games just keep on getting better.

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 06:07:55 PM »
This seemed to be a popular thread so... I decided to post this here.
WARNING: VERY BIG FILE!
http://www.bigupload.com/d=ECA4D53E
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 07:45:06 PM »
It looks as though the fat lady hasn't sang for the Gamecube just yet. :)

However, I'm slightly confused as to how they'll implement a coherent (well, coherent as far as Mario games go) story line to explain the super crazy whacked out graphics and the apparant ability to spontaneously morph from a fat, Italian plumber to a dainty princess to the king of Koopas in the blink of an eye.

*shrugs*

Though I'm perfectly sure Nintendo has figured this all out and has a surprisingly deep, intricate story line that explains everything.  Or not.  I mean heck, the Paper Mario series in itself already defies logic... Who could've imagined Mario as a piece of loose-leaf before the first Paper Mario for the N64 came along?
lumpia (LOOM'·pee·ah") n.
A Filipino variation of the egg roll. It consists of more meat, less vegetable and is generally better tasting. :p

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 08:00:31 PM »
Haha, I like the loose-leaf.

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 10:52:35 PM »
Nintendo's on fire this year, if you ask me. This looks like one of the best sidescrollers since the first SMB.

But, I gotta ask. What's with the math in the background? ^_^

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2006, 01:00:53 AM »
This is just the renamed Mario Teaches Math. I hope you're not disappointed.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2006, 04:01:18 PM »
I tihnk the 'math-equations-in-the-background' thing is a bit of a throwback to Yoshi's Story.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2006, 01:29:07 PM »
What really picques my interest is that trippy-looking Para-Bob-omb and Butterfly that follow you around...

...but this game took me completely by surprise. Aside from Smash Bros. Brawl, this wins my most anticipated game of E3.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2006, 06:57:47 AM »
*head explodes* Too many upcoming dominating-of-all-systems games! *fingernails explode* I think this will be an awesome game if Nintendo can master using both 2-D and 3-D (5-D :P ). I hope that the battles you had in both PM's will still happen. Either way, keep blowing our minds, Nintendo!
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2006, 07:49:55 PM »
This game looks awesome. Maybe a bigger hit then the original Super Mario Bros.!
My sister is a...(insert threat here)

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2006, 08:32:26 PM »
I hope that the battles you had in both PM's will still happen.

I don't think so. I think it's gonna be sorta-kinda like a platformer. Like the Super Mario series

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2006, 08:35:51 AM »
As I said before, they've appeared to have taken the Bowser stages from PM2 and made a whole new game outta them.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2006, 06:25:09 PM »
I'm subsequently glad that Nintendo has made another game for the Gamecube, and that Bowser is a playable character within this game.  Super Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion came nearly five years ago, Paper Mario 2 was a sequel of a previous N64 game, and the other games were all party- or sport-related.  I suppose I'm forgetting about WarioWare, but I consider that as a different ... [type] of Mario game.  So it comes out on August 3rd.  My hope is to get it as soon as it comes out so that I have two weeks before school to play it, or else I should wait until Christmas to get it.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2006, 12:07:58 AM »
As I said before, they've appeared to have taken the Bowser stages from PM2 and made a whole new game outta them.
But that would've been fine. Those Super Bowser levels were just about the best thing ever.
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2006, 07:42:15 AM »
I didn't say it was a bad thing, I was just letting Mr.Melee know where the inspiration for this game came from.

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2006, 01:18:58 PM »
Super Paper Mario videos: http://gonintendo.com/?p=3167

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2006, 02:45:24 PM »
OMG!! The Gamecube will go out with a bang.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2006, 09:13:36 PM »
I look forward to the game.

Ich freue das Spiel auf.

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2006, 12:48:42 AM »
Any word on a more specific release date yet?  Seems like this would have to come out before the Wii at least...
Haters gonna hate

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2006, 01:17:52 AM »
This looks awesome now. And we can finally stop asking if you can swap characters at any time because you clearly can. Nice effects used fighting that Hooktail-Volvagia hybrid... I just hope you can make Mario (or Peach) fiery.
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2006, 09:56:32 AM »
There appears to be a new move in the form of usin that little butterfly thingy to grab and throw enemies. You can't even get Super or Small because there's an HP meter. Weird.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 04:38:54 PM by The Chef »

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2006, 03:49:31 PM »
It comes out August 3rd.  I hope you can make Bowser fiery!

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2006, 07:17:11 PM »
I'm interested how this game will turn out. It looks like it would be good value.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2006, 04:20:52 PM »
I saw a screen shot for this game.It showed Bowser trying to marry Peach.You gotta be kidding me Bowser hates Peach!!!!!!!They made Bowser go from an evil villain to...to...I can't say it *throws up and falls to the groung still throwing up*.They are ruining Bowser's reputation and his good name!!!

Now that I let that out I feel much better.*throws up*.

Sorry if I over reacted.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 04:22:37 PM by Dark_Shark »
"A winner is you"

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2006, 04:51:08 PM »
Not entirely.  They're also making Bowser more macho by making him too big to play as in Super Mario Strikers, and now Bowser Jr. Is taking his place in Mario 3-on-3.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2006, 06:38:08 PM »
You gotta be kidding me Bowser hates Peach!!!!!!!
GOOD GOODNESS, hasn't ANYBODY played Paper Mario?!?!
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2006, 07:14:45 PM »
When I first saw Paper Mario, I thought it was a Design suite for the N64. :)

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2006, 08:47:54 AM »
GOOD GOODNESS, hasn't ANYBODY played Paper Mario?!?!

Yes I have I played TTYD not the first one.
"A winner is you"

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2006, 10:10:16 AM »
Ever since Paper Mario I've known Bowser has a thing for Peach. In fact, he adores her! Bowser only appeared to express a lack of personal interest in Peach from the beginning, when his role was merely the antagonist without any other dimensions.

Edit: Even in TTYD he shows interest in her- remember the part where he talks to the Princess Peach poster?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 10:14:19 AM by NintendoExpert89 »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2006, 01:24:27 PM »
I say that Peach and Bowser were being marryed against their will by that guy with the cape.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2006, 02:11:14 PM »
Yeah, and he has a thing for her in SMS.

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2006, 08:56:18 AM »
And that is just plain stupid.
"A winner is you"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2006, 10:30:22 AM »
If he doesn't like her, why does he kidnap her.......over and over and over......

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2006, 04:38:56 PM »
To lure Mario in............DUH!!!

Sometimes Peach was locked up and or stuffed into an empty room.

Yeah.BRILLIANT way of showing someone that you like them.
"A winner is you"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2006, 08:48:30 PM »
Why did he kidnap her before he knew Mario?

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2006, 10:28:32 PM »
So he could take over the Mushroom Kingdom. He turned all of the Shroom people into blocks, then kidnapped Peach (at this time, Princess Toadstool), who was the only one who could turn them back.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2006, 01:08:47 AM »
But Peach's powers are only half of why he needs her in his custody to rule the Mushroom Kingdom. HGe has to marry her to make her his queen, so he can spend the rest of his life with her in a throne.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2006, 02:33:37 AM »
That was why Bowser kidnapped Peach in the first place, according to Nintendo.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2006, 02:07:13 PM »
I think this game could have a ton of potential, but I just hope Nintendo doesn't go too over the edge with the side-scroller-ness. if it is what I think it'll be like, then it oughta be excellent. if they can make it as a big platform adventure, involving questing and backtracking like in other Paper Mario games, while still giving it that 2-D edge, then I'll be a happy man. a good story is a must. if they just throw it together with no plot/story whatsoever, focusing on the 'fun' too much, as they did with New Super Mario, then I might just be heartbroken.

incidentally, I just beat Thousand Year Door the other night, and for the first time in my life, I can safely say I have a favorite game. seriously, this game is driving me insane, I actually feel really bad that I beat it.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2006, 12:07:22 AM »
That's exactly how I felt.  I honestly hope this game had more interesting and fun characters, because so far we've only seen these weird bird enemies, a dragon, and those creepy little cube people.  Though this game looks oh so awesome, I am rather sad that there seems to be no more role playing like the other games.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2006, 08:34:32 AM »
After a bit of thinking, this seems like the Mario equivalent of Zelda II. It's a 2D scroller with some RPG elements, like HP and Town Stages where you can talk to people, and it'll probably turn out to be some epic adventure, like the previous PMs. I wish Sega would make a Sonic game like this. *sigh*

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2006, 10:16:02 AM »
IGN added new screens on 07/13/2006:
http://media.cube.ign.com/media/827/827016/imgs_1.html
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2006, 08:32:18 PM »
http://media.cube.ign.com/media/827/827016/img_3584770.html

That guy in the cape makes me think alot of the Nightmare at the end of Kirby's Adventure.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2006, 07:49:01 PM »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2006, 02:28:25 PM »
Are you sure those are new? they look kinda familiar....

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2006, 10:34:04 PM »
Wah?  I replied to this mentioning how some of the "new" pics are the same as some old pics.  What happen?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print