Print

Author Topic: Urgent PS3 Issues  (Read 5726 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: August 15, 2009, 07:18:07 PM »
As I aired grievances about a while back on the Angst Thread, my PS3 experienced a bizarre, unprovoked meltdown about a month ago that necessitated a complete system restore. To my relief, all save data was intact on the main hard drive (and swiftly backed up, with the exception of the mysteriously uncopyable Loco Roco Cocoreccho) but profiles, internet accounts, system settings, etc. were totally gone. As such, my LittleBigPlanet data fell into a sort of limbo--it was unscathed, but my DLC was locked and I was warned that Trophies would no longer be valid unless I erased my save data, apparently because, since there was no longer any profile data, it figured I was trying to steal someone else's game progress or something. Anyway, per advice collectively gathered online from others who had had this problem (specifically, as a result of some glitch or "feature" that no one will fix, trophy data being invalidated by a deleted PSN account, though not necessarily through a system restore), I backed up the save data and erased the game data, to try using the save data again at a later date. Thoroughly ****ed-off, I delayed this for some time.

So, today, with time on my hands, I decided to man up and futz around with what I could in hopes of getting things working again. In goes the disc, game data is reinstalled... and lo and behold, my previously working save data is allegedly corrupted, with the only recourse being a futile "retry" or a complete erasure of the data. Apparently, either DLC + save data - game data = DOES NOT COMPUTE, or even more invisible bullcrap went down inside my Sony George Foreman between July and sixty minutes ago. The point is, I've got about half a year's worth of gameplay, half the game's Trophies, a handful of custom levels, and $10+ worth of DLC on the line and I'm in no mood to ring up tech support to gab with an Indian and/or robot. Help and I will be eternally in your debt.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 07:55:56 PM »
Blu-Ray player + great graphics + LittleBigPlanet + backwards compatibility - memory cards - RROD = $434-ish PS3 offline = Win.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 08:24:24 PM »
...my PS3 crashed a few days ago for no discernable reason.

... my PS3 experienced a bizarre, unprovoked meltdown about a month ago that necessitated a complete system restore.

There's not much I can help with now.  If I'd know more about the issue before you tried to fix it ...  Now you can't get your account back like it was as far as I know.  BTW, backing up is not the same as copying your HDD.  The later would get everything.  The former won't get all your saves or trophies.  Too late now though. 

If your problem was with LBP profile saves that would have been an easy fix, but since you call it a crash and meltdown I assume the problem was worse.  A messed up screen is another common and easy fix, but...  It won't make you feel any better, but if you want to describe your original problem we may be able to tell you how you could have fixed it.  The only perfect fix now would take a time machine.  Lacking that you can just enjoy redoing half-a-years gaming. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 09:04:56 PM »
Well, to be honest, I just said "crash" and "meltdown" because that's how I'd define what it did--freezing, then when we turned it off not turning on correctly at all with the eventual exception of a screen showing options to fix the problem. Like I said, I still have the save data for all my PS2 games and LBP, my concern being that the latter is "corrupted".

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant

Print