Print

Author Topic: Sonic slowed down for Olympic Games  (Read 6231 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: August 02, 2007, 03:29:24 PM »

Sega product manager Grant Gie sat down with CVG for a short interview about his company's upcoming game, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. During this pow-wow, they asked the one question that is on everyone's mind: "how on earth is fat old Mario ever going to beat Sonic in a race?"

That answer? Make Sonic fast, but not in every aspect. Gie explains that the entire game can be seen as a balancing act, reminiscent of games like Mario Kart or the recently released Mario Strikers Charged, where every character has a distinct advantage, but also a disadvantage. As always, Mario & Luigi are all-around on all the stats, while Sega decided to make Sonic have top speed, yet low acceleration. Still don't see that as a fair shake for the blue flash? Gie says it's a risk that Sega is willing to take, as it makes the game more appealing to people who simply want to just pick-up and play.

"We're trying to go for that mass-appeal like Mario Kart; it crosses all boundaries. Kids can pick up and play Mario Kart and have a great time, but it's really fun at home with those core gamers who replay and replay."

For some reason, when I think 'top speed' and 'low acceleration' I think of Bowser, DK, and Wario in the Mario Kart games. Sonic doesn't have their build at all. However, I can't think of another way to make it fair. Unless of course, Sega takes a cue from their recent Sonic games and just makes Sonic 1) hard to control and 2) have bad camera angles. This also raises another question: how will Robotnik- er, Eggman, and Bowser compete? If they give them the same stats as Sonic, that's just wrong.

Link: computerandvideogames.com
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 03:41:57 PM »
Perhaps Sonic will end up being like he was in his Genesis days (fat). It's unlikely at this time, but still possible.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 03:48:29 PM »
I dunno, I've seen Mario move pretty fast when he wants to. Then again, this was back when he was on the NES (SMB3).
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 06:25:19 PM »
In the Genesis Sonic games, you actually had to have a lot of room to accelerate in order to get to top speed. However, it doesn't seem that that's what they were thinking of when they decided to make it that way. Sonic is typically seen speeding off from the get-go in all of his current games's cutscenes and promotions.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 07:36:33 PM »
I think we're forgetting here that Bowser only has a good top speed in a go-kart.
That was a joke.

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 09:08:53 PM »
Sonic's on O-x-y-c-o-t-t-o-n

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 04:56:27 PM »
This game will definatly be confusing.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 08:05:20 PM »
That's another reason I think this game is really stupid (besides shilling for the '08 'Lympics and being pointless fan service).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 08:08:57 PM »
You think it's stupid just because Mario can keep up with Sonic?  :(

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 12:49:20 AM »
Anyone who's beaten Sonic 1 or 2 knows that Eggman runs exactly the same speed as Sonic.

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 01:52:41 AM »
Anyone who's beaten Sonic 1 or 2 knows that Eggman runs exactly the same speed as Sonic.

This is true. Still, Bowser? I wish they would put a Mario Kart spin on this, meaning adding special items, etc.
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 07:17:53 AM »

Eggman is going to be my first pick for this game just because he can do this and still keep his egg-like shape.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 01:58:25 AM »
He'll probably always be a couple feet away from Sonic, no matter what Sonic's speed is. Hehe heh, I see Cream there, but no Cheese!  hope she gets run over by Bowser or something.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Print