Print

Author Topic: Super Mario game in development for 3DS  (Read 6232 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: February 01, 2011, 03:49:38 PM »
In the latest volume of Iwata Asks: Super Mario 25th Anniversary, Shigeru Miyamoto mentions that he is "making a new Super Mario Bros. game for the Nintendo 3DS system." Though this doesn't exactly come as a surprise, it's nice to have confirmation. No other details were given, but I'd say it's likely that we'll hear more about the game during this year's E3.

Link: Iwata Asks: Super Mario 25th Anniversary Volume 5
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 04:38:38 PM by Deezer »

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 08:08:02 PM »
Hmmm.. a third New Super Mario Bros game.. 3DS.. Hmmmmm...
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 09:23:58 PM »
We don't know if it's a "New Super Mario Bros." yet -- notice the "new" wasn't capitalized in the interview.

I probably should note that Miyamoto just said "Super Mario" (no "Bros.") in the Japanese interview. Also, it's clearer to see in the Japanese text that he said "new" Mario and not "New Mario."

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 07:13:29 PM »
I know. That was just a glimpse into the thought process that went through my head when I read it.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 08:52:48 PM »
Can we still presume, based on the context, that it's a sidescroller?

Incidentally, I wonder if Nintendo has any plans to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Donkey Kong (and Mario) this year.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 02:37:32 AM »
They should bring back the whole falling-through-a-white-thing-into-the-background from SMB3. And the cape feather. And a powerup that makes Mario wear green, among other effects.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 03:42:17 AM »
I'd like to see a return to classic, sprite-based 2D graphics.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 08:34:11 AM »
Uh

I'm assuming for the 3DS they're going to want to make a 3D Mario game.

Although Bird's idea could work well, especially if the entire game is based around heavy use of a multi-layer mechanic.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 01:23:47 PM »
I like Super Mario Galaxy's formula of using suits/power-ups, but I feel it would be refreshing if they made them optional and helpful rather than required in the next 3D Mario game.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 01:46:06 PM »
I like power ups that are actual power ups and not tools to overcome contrived obstacles.  This goes for the Metroid series as well.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 04:53:39 PM »
They can technically be viewed as both in the Metroid series, seeing as an item like the Screw Attack is both required and extremely useful broken (in a good way).
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 10:23:32 PM »
In the 2-D ones they're always weapons, if not armor with cool properties (Fire Flower, kill everything). In the 3-D games the powerups are always timed tools (Fire Flower, melt a snowman).
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 10:27:19 PM »
They can technically be viewed as both in the Metroid series, seeing as an item like the Screw Attack is both required and extremely useful broken (in a good way).
I was referring to things like Seeker Missiles, Diffusion Missiles, and the Prime series' Spider Ball, to name a few.   Not one of those power ups is useful outside situations where the developers specifically intend them to be useful.

Or, to stay on the topic of Mario, take the Rock power up from Galaxy 2.  Not only can it not be found in areas other than where it's specifically required to pass, but you wouldn't want to use it in most areas anyway because its ability set is tailored specially for the aforementioned areas.

Developers seem to have to go out of their way in terms of design to make power ups useful.  I much prefer them to be generally applicable.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
It's a lot harder to design general-use power-ups for 3D worlds without having them be extremely broken (in a bad way). The Metroid Prime games would be dreadfully boring if you could just use the Spider Ball on any surface.

For a better example, imagine a 3D Kirby game where he can float forever.

A good example of a general-use tool in a 3D game is the Gravity Gun. At times it rivals the Screw Attack in sheer brokenness, but its design and the level design throughout the Half-Life 2 games prevent it from just being an easy way out of every situation. It would be great if more games could have well-balanced general-use tools like the Gravity Gun, but that requires an abundance of time, something most developers who aren't named Valve lack.

Print