Print

Author Topic: TV is Fail  (Read 9125 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« on: January 27, 2011, 11:45:46 AM »
Before anyone gets any misconceptions about the thread based on the title, it's just a reference to this.

Basically a thread about television, not just in the fall, but in general.

I make a point to try to catch:

-House.  It's starting to not suck again, now that it's less about "ZOMG HOUSE AND CUDDY ARE A COUPLE NOW", and more about medicine and deliberately juvenile pranks and jokes.  The only thing that bothers me is the fact that Thirteen's replacement (and by extension, Cameron's replacement) is a bit too vanilla for the show, in my opinion.  Chase needs his sexy long hair back, too, but that's more of a nitpick than a true flaw in the show.
-Burn Notice.  Fun show.  I like watching Gabrielle Anwar blow **** up, as well as watching Bruce Campbell be Bruce Campbell.
-White Collar.  Another USA show.  Funny how this relatively small network can consistently produce highly entertaining TV when the big ones keep putting out the same old tween sitcoms and reality shows.  Anyway, yeah.  Funny show.
-Smallville.  The final season has proven to be a mixed bag.  On the one hand, you have a proto-JLA forming.  On the other hand, still no Batman, mostly due to legal issues.  On the first hand again, Clark has mostly stopped angsting about wanting a normal life, and started embracing being a hero.  On the other hand again, the arc villain is Darkseid.  Disregarding my own issues with the guy (he is one of the most boring villains ever), there are characters that deserve to be adapted to the show waaaay more than the New Gods.  I miss Michael Rosenbaum.

I'm tentatively interested in:
-Young Justice.  It's a little... too much like other animated superhero shows.  It's not bad, though, and it's got potential.  I'm going to wait and see how long it'll take the show to hits its stride.  If at all.
-The Cape.  It's like a live-action Golden Age comic book.  Fun stuff.  Definitely not for those who don't like a little camp every now and then, but if you do, or if you can get past it, then this show looks promising.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:48:54 AM by Turtlekid1 »
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 12:19:09 PM »
Smallville's been making me mad. Not enough action for my liking, but I'm hoping tomorrow will be different. I miss Michael as well. ;_; He was so awesome! I just miss seeing a bunch of the characters, and I'm not as into the romance between Clark and Lois.

As for other shows, I tend to head over to Pay-Per-View these days. ;_; I still watch reruns of Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, and Futurama, but I rarely enjoy the other shows that are on. I miss True Blood, Dexter, and that teasingly short The Walking Dead. :P Oh yeah, Burn Notice. That's an interesting one. I sometimes catch 1000 Ways to Die...I have an off collection of enjoyable shows lately.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 02:09:57 PM »
I don't watch TV aside from whatever anime I end up following, and though there are a handful of new shows I'm interested in, I'm not watching anything this season.

Out of last season's shows, I watched and enjoyed:

-Shinryaku! Ika Musume: about Ika Musume (Squid Girl), who comes from the sea to invade the surface because she's ****ed off at us humans for polluting her home. The show's a lot of fun and Ika Musume is adorable.
-The World God Only Knows: about a high school student, Keima Katsuragi, who plays a hundred hours of video games a day; he ends up getting himself stuck in a contract with a demon and now has to make girls fall in love with him to drive "loose souls" out of their hearts so his demon partner can capture them. Also a lot of fun, and it has cute girls without really having any fanservice. Really looking forward to the second series in a couple of months.
-My Little Sister Can't Possibly Be This Cute: about a high school student, Kyosuke Kousaka, whose middle-school-student sister Kirino basically refuses to associate with him...until he accidentally discovers she's a closet otaku with a little sister fetish. The story was actually pretty enjoyable, and I liked the art style and pretty much every character except Kirino (who goes beyond tsundere and straight into ***** territory). Looking forward to the alternate-ending OVAs this summer.
-Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt: about two fallen angel sisters, Anarchy Panty and Anarchy Stocking, who have to fight monsters in Daten City to earn their way back into heaven. I started watching because I was curious about the name, because it was Studio GAINAX, and because the art style is a parody of western cartoons, and then I kept watching because it was hilarious, the story stuff was actually pretty cool, and the soundtrack was amazing. I still need to watch the finale.

There was another show, Princess Jellyfish, that I wanted to get into, but I only ever got around to watching the first episode. I need to get around to watching more sometime, because I really liked the premise and the art.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 04:21:46 PM »
I like Martha Masters. I think the writers' intention with her is to show what would happen if a Mary Sue actually met House, and I'm liking where it's going. Amber Tamblyn's leaving at the end of the season, though, which is sad because I like her character, but happy because that implies there's going to be at least one more season after this, but possibly sad because if there's another season they're probably going to end up having House and Cuddy break up by the end of the season and go back to status quo again. I hope they don't, though. I like the depiction of House and Cuddy's relationship; it feels pretty believable so far. The show could always use a little more Wilson, though.

Masters is certainly a much more self-aware Mary Sue than President Mackenzie Allen in Commander in Chief, which I've been watching lately. In case you forgot, it's a show from 2005 that lasted one season on ABC (because it was in House's timeslot) where a woman (and an independent) becomes president. The show's interesting, but so far (I'm halfway through the series), I'm noticing that I can't remember a single time she really took someone else's advice. Every time something goes wrong, she fixes it by sticking to her vision the entire time, and anyone who doesn't agree with her is not only utterly wrong, but is actively working to undermine her. Still, I kinda like the show, and wish there were a few more seasons.

And yeah, I haven't really watched much of anything else. I'm glad Heroes is finally cancelled so I don't have to keep getting sucked back into the suckiness. V was entertaining last season, but stuff didn't really start happening like it should've. And it's not on Hulu anymore, so I can't watch it anyway.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 04:23:57 PM »
...but possibly sad because if there's another season they're probably going to end up having House and Cuddy break up by the end of the season and go back to status quo again.

Not to burst your bubble, CE7, but I honestly don't believe they're going to last the season.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 07:22:15 PM »
I'm not watching anything this season.

You aren't watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica?

I oughta slap you good sir.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 07:55:56 PM »
That's one I'm interested in, but I'm busy with school and games and stuff. Furthermore, without my netbook I can't really watch a lot of anime, since this computer is awful at anything involving media playback and I haven't set up anything on my dad's laptop; I haven't even gotten around to watching The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya yet, and that came out like a month ago.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 11:26:23 PM »
I don't watch anything on TV except for new episodes of House and maybe How it's Made. Nothing really peeks my interest with TV besides, it's all political gang-saying slandering wars making TV look even more negative. Cartoon Network is a corruption minefield, so I don't have any real desire to watch that including other trash such as iCarley and Chowder along with countless of the shows for their respective age-groups having all of those blatant sexual innuendos and other further perversions.

Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Seinfeld, Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Mr. Show, Beavis and Butthead were funny though I don't even watch reruns of them anymore. TV is past it's prime.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 01:26:29 AM »
I haven't watched TV on a regular basis since Spongebob started to suck.

General concensus of this thread: TV is indeed Fail.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 08:11:46 AM »
Who can count all the things wrong with nenson's post?

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 12:15:09 PM »
I explained why I feel TV is Fail. The last sentence was geared towards the older age-group who watched said shows at the time and how new shows don't even compare in terms reasonable standards in quality and creativity, but I didn't exactly finish it.What are you, the new Glorb?
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 12:31:48 PM »
peeks my interest
That's "piques."

besides, it's all political gang-saying slandering wars making TV look even more negative
Some of it.  Not all.

Cartoon Network is a corruption minefield, so I don't have any real desire to watch that including other trash such as iCarley and Chowder along with countless of the shows for their respective age-groups having all of those blatant sexual innuendos and other further perversions.
Yes, I'll admit that Cartoon Network is a shade of its former glory.  But:

-iCarly (no "e") is on Nickelodeon, which is much worse off these days.
-There are a couple of decent shows on the channel even now.  Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Young Justice aren't half-bad.  Apparently Adventure Time is pretty good, and while I can't say it's ever looked that great to me, people I know who have enjoyed it generally seem to have good taste in other areas.

Actually, Cartoon Network was worse off a couple of years ago than it is now.

TV is past it's prime.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe#Commission:_greengrocers.27_apostrophes

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 07:52:24 PM »
I thought you were going to point out the hypocrisy in this:

along with countless of the shows for their respective age-groups having all of those blatant sexual innuendos and other further perversions.

Which he immediately followed up with:

Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life were funny
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 07:58:45 PM »
Of the shows he named, I've only ever seen Rocko's Modern Life.  And I actually didn't think it was horrible.  Not the greatest show ever, but not horrible.

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 08:13:36 PM »
I didn't say they were unfunny, I mean he thinks modern kids shows have too much inappropriate innuendo's and yet he ignores that fact that Rocko and Ren/Stimpy was loaded with more of that kind of humor.

Print