Print

Author Topic: Wii internet connections...  (Read 15809 times)

« on: May 14, 2007, 02:33:59 PM »
I keep hearing that to use wii shop, you need to buy an internet connection. ARE THEY SERIOUS? Doesn't that cost near a 100$??!!??

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 02:53:34 PM »
What the dukar are you using right now? A public kiosk? If you have an internet connection at home (you don't need to "buy" a new one), all you need is a wireless router or a Nintendo Wifi USB dongle. They're $40, and have very limited range.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 03:05:01 PM »
The range is about 30 feet.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 03:05:52 PM »
Well, that's assuming you're in the same room...

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 03:10:56 PM »
Which usually means that you're within 30 feet of your router or USB connector.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 06:43:41 PM »
I can walk around my very small house while playing wi-fi on my USB connector. Of course, it's really weak when I reach the opposite sides of my house with an active connection.

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 04:06:12 PM »
Okay, so I have got a wireless router, but where does the wii shop points card go? Is there some kind of slot in the wii? And, do I need to always have connection to the internet whenever I want to play a Virtual System game?

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 04:11:31 PM »
I don't even have a Wii but I think I can help. There should be a number on the card. Use that number when paying for stuff. You should only need the internet connection for downloading the VC games, not playing them.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 03:24:08 PM »
Thanks, but what do I do with the Points card after I buy it from a store? (How do I buy the games?)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 03:35:25 PM »
Go to the Wii Shop Channel.  It should be obvious after that.

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 12:34:24 PM »
Thanx.

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 11:25:53 AM »
ACCCK! Sorry, but it's not over yet. While doing the internet connection test, I ran into the part where you put in the SSID number.What is the "SSID number"? It is supposed to have something to do with the computer, and that's all I know.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 10:53:01 AM »
The SSID is the router. For example, an SSID can be named "Paul." You can check the name of it on your computer. If you can't find it, contact Nintendo Customer Support or the company that made your router. I'm not sure about the number part, sorry.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 06:38:36 PM »
You should be able to tell by going to your router's configuration page.
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 07:02:08 PM »
Ha ha ha... I know what my router is now. And now...

IM STILL NOWHERE! Why does it seem like it should be easy? It isn't. 2 months. Do you know how  many hours that is? That's how long I have been trying to get this too work. This night, I was ready to buy the only 2 games I wanted. ONLY 2 GAMES. No. Studying the manual for 2 hours, I hooked everything up. I had to buy a smaller tv to get down to the basement where the computer is, since I can't lug the big Tv down. 2 hours. 2 months. 2 games. It all came down to this. I went to the Wii shop channel, put in the configurations, it found a connection, it was testing the connection, AND IT DIDNT WORK! I nearly ripped the manual apart. 2 hours. 2 months. 2 games. Did I tell you that yet? All that work, 60$ wasted, beacause I was cheated. Maybe this "Wii shop channel" Isn't real. Maybe this is a huge prank, I'm being tricked by everyone in the world. EVERYONE. No one is telling the truth. Or are they? Is this a mind game divised by Nintendo? To see what fans will put up with to get 2 games. 2 months. 2 hours. AM I THE ONLY ONE BEING TRICKED HERE? You know what, I almost believed that Nintedo had a virtual system. I almost BELIEVED that finally, I would be able to have Super Mario RPG, and Paper Mario. After 2 years of trying to get those games. Ha ha ha. Another 2 isn't it? I have a broadband internet too. But nothing works. I have tried so hard, I know that the Wii shop channel isn't real. Well, thanks for the game anyway. It was kind of fun, but now I realiaze all the time I have wasted, believing that I would finally get the 2 games I wanted so badly. 2 years. 2 months. 2 hours. 2 games.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 11:12:49 PM by Deezer »

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 10:40:27 PM »
How are you on the internet now?  And how come whoever set you up to be on the internet can't set up your Wii?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 11:12:32 PM »
You're sure it's the right kind of router, right? This:

Not this:

Plug that into your computer. Configure stuff to let things leech off of it. Call tech support.

Edit: Zwuh. I didn't expect transparency. GIFs ahoy!
Edit 2: One more thing. The best routers have a flyswatter on top.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 05:25:01 AM »
I found out the problem... I need a USB Wi-fi connector. Yay, now I get to waste another 20$, meaning 2 games for the Virtual System= 80$ That is such a (Insert terrible swear word) rip-off. 40$ for Classic Controller. 20$ for points card. 20$ for USB connector-or is it another 40$???????????????? It dosen't matter, you see...

MY QUEST TO GET TWO FRICKIN' GAMES... (COUNTINUED)

Okay, so I called my Meijer to see if they had a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector. Some senile lady was at the media section, and after 15 minutes of saying "no, we don't have it", and "Oh, I haven't checked here" She finally decided "no, we don't have it." My meijers never has anything. It would be 2 months later that they would finally get a shipment of Super Paper Mario. By then, I bought it elsewhere. So, I called a Wal-Mart 25 miles away. I waited for 20 minutes for them to pick up the phone. Nope.

TO BE CONTINUED...

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 05:58:25 AM »
The dollar sign comes before the number.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 06:28:37 AM »
You don't need a USB Wi-Fi connector if you already have a wireless router.

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 12:30:28 PM »
You know what? I don't know what I have, so I just have to guess. My story almost gets happy in this latetest chapter...

MY QUEST TO GET TWO FRICKIN' GAMES (countinued...)

Okay. Wal-Mart obviously wasn't going to help. I called Best Buy. "NO, we dont have it. Describe it." "Well, you plug it into the computers USB connector, and it sends signals to the Wii." "Yes we have it." Her earlier statement and this new one made me annoyed. Oh well. We had a hit. Putting the phone down, it suddenly rang. It was my horrible cousin Jonathan. He always wanted to come over and beat me in games. Not this time! I was going to stay up all night playing Paper Mario. "Hey, can I come over?" He asked. "Sorry no." I said putting the phone down. Things were finally going well. I suddenly ran right into my mom. "I forgot to tell you, after you get your Nintendo thing, we have to sleep in the tent- we're bombing the house for fleas." Compulsive feelings kicked me in the crotch a few times. Oh well, I could play tomorrow. 40 minutes later, I had been at the library. I came back. My mom came up. "I invited Jonathan over tonight. And he can play your new games tomorrow." My new games? I needed to play them! I had to get a feel for them before "Rat" Jon came over. "NOOOOOOO!" Well, maybe I didn't scream. "Well, can I stay up tomorrow and play my game?" I asked. "No, the morning after that, Aunt Kate is coming." "Well, how about in 2 nights?" I asked starting to sweat. "No, the next morning school begins." I stared in horror beyond terror.I would have to wait 6 days just to play the game I wanted so terribly. 6 days. Yay. I am getting it, but I can't PLAY IT! What fun.... Sits down and starts screaming. "Or..or maybe Best Buy will be out." Maybe. Who knows? When it came to my luck, there is none.                                                 
                                                      (TO BE CONTINUED...)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 06:28:00 PM »
Maybe if you got more to the point of WHY you cannot connect instead of ranting about old women, we could help.
The ߥTE is right. The adapter is for people who don't have an access point already. You don't have to buy one if you have a router.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 08:51:20 PM »
Don't matter. Right now, the wii is doing a update (FINALLY!), the problem is solved. Or... until the next outreageous problem. Gee, it sure takes a long time too load. A VERY long time...

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 09:02:03 PM »
Call this guy, he's usually good....

<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 09:07:58 PM »
Wait, if you're updating, that means you're online, right?
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 09:20:57 PM »
Or... until the next outreageous problem. Gee, it sure takes a long time too load. A VERY long time...
PLEASE have hope that nothing "outreageous" will happen again.
The shop channel takes long for everyone. Things like the Internet Channel (for which you'd have to pay for being late, aaahaha) will take no longer than on your computer. Of course, the better your connection and access point, the faster the Wii's Wi-Fi-enabled features will run. When we got a newer router model (the old one was top-of-the-line when we got it, I believe, but it became completely screwy), there was a dramatic change in Wi-Fi speed on my DS.
It's YOUR problem!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2007, 12:31:16 AM »
If you have slow or intermittent internet on the Wii, it may be broken due to overheating.

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2007, 03:16:10 AM »
This is the best help thread ever. Thanks for the stories, Nintendoobsessed. They make reading this place worthwhile!

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2007, 06:43:28 PM »
No offense, but CALM DOWN. You're stories are funny, but if you REALLY want to connect to the shop channel, then call Nintendo Customer Support and tell them which router you have.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2007, 03:27:03 PM »
Well, it's already over, but everytime I would call their help-line, I could never get to speak to a real person. Even when that voice didn't say they were busy.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2007, 03:47:05 PM »
Pro Tip: Dial 0

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2007, 05:43:36 PM »
ProTip: ProTips are bold and one word (unless you are trying to avoid copyright infringement).

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2007, 05:51:36 PM »
ProTip: FAIL
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2007, 05:57:04 PM »
I was using the store brand.

silverstarman

• Chock full of misinformation
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2007, 06:06:42 PM »
For some reason, I try to connect to my router with the DS, but it won't work for some reason, even when I stand right next to the router.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2007, 12:11:55 PM »
My (********** ******** **** ****** ******* *** ** ****** ** *** *** ** *******) USB connector barely works too. UHG. It only works right after I install it (again). Maybe I need to buy a new one.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 07:03:23 PM by Shyguy92 »
"it's always the present"

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2007, 06:50:07 PM »
Yeah, the USB connector isn't great. It works, though.

And SG92, did you just say "UHG"? I can't believe it.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2007, 09:36:10 PM »
Methinks he was trying to say GUH! Typos are fun!

Also..

For some reason, I try to connect to my router with the DS, but it won't work for some reason, even when I stand right next to the router.

Somebody better call the Department of Redundancy Department.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2007, 01:01:26 AM »
Augh! Yes! I abhor, despise, hate and strongly dislike redundancy!!
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2007, 02:29:20 PM »
Okay, I have finally found out what the MAJOR problem was and that was that I had AOL. **** AOL. I have to shut off all the secruity to get that working, and that isn't fun, waiting for viruse's to hit.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2007, 04:38:30 PM »
Fail. Just fail. AOL fails.

And that's all I have to say about it.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2007, 07:01:32 PM »
Well my problem is solved, thanks to an updated version of the USB connector driver.

Here's where I got it:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/onlineUSBDownload.jsp
Hope it helps.

EDIT:D'oh! I didn't see that he solved it. Anyway maybe that'll help some one else.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 07:05:26 PM by Shyguy92 »

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2007, 01:23:03 PM »
Well... I don't like shutting down safety. If there's another solution I'd take it. But when I clicked on the link, it required Flash. I can't download flash. Everytime I try too, a white box with a red X in it appears in the corner. I've waited for an hour before. Does anyone know how Flash works?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2007, 05:23:14 PM »
Using AOL is quite like sealing your entire body inside a thick concrete shell. Sure, nothing can get to you and hurt you (except gamma radiation if the concrete is not thick enough), but you're not going to be able to enjoy any of the good things of life. Look, break out of the shell, get an antivirus program, and use Firefox with adblock. You'll find out that you can actually live a pretty fun life without getting viruses.

It's all a trap--AOL wants you to think that every GIF and JPEG is a virus. They want you to think that they're the only e-mail service that blocks spam. They want you to think that just because you have to pay ludicrous amounts for it, it's better than free things like Gmail and Firefox. And it isn't.

And I think the last time anyone in my house got a virus, it was when we were using AOL. Some help that thick concrete shell is.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2007, 04:01:38 PM »
....That could take a while. Meanwhile, anyone wanna hear another funny, real life story. (I got tons of em') (Reliazes what that means and has a emotional breakdown).

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2007, 04:58:06 PM »
What could take a while, the enlightenment of whomever pays your Internet bills?
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2007, 05:11:54 PM »
Here we go again. I permanantly shut-down Firefox. No more bull****. Turning on my Wii, everything went splendid. I entered the Wii Shop channel and ordered Check Mii Out. In the middle of Mario's running, the screen stopped. "Wii internet connection proplems." I tried several more times, but it never worked. I tried downloading Everybody Votes Channel, and sure enough...it worked! So, I tried CMO again. No working. I went out, and tried EVC, but...internet connection problems! [wtd]? The Forecast Channel works, and the Wii Shop SOMETIMEs works. News does not. WTH? The only channel that works is Forecast. Is there something I'm missing here? Now the Wii Shop NEVER works. What the...?

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2007, 08:04:13 PM »
Patience is key. Nuff said.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2007, 09:12:08 PM »
Right... your browser is affecting your internet connection.
No possible way.
That was a joke.

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2007, 04:42:05 PM »
Patience is key. Nuff said.

...? You must not being literal beacause, I jumped around the channels of a few hours seeing if time affects it. Neither does Wii System Updates...

Print