Print

Author Topic: Conker's Bad Fur Day ROM for Mac  (Read 22217 times)

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2009, 11:40:56 PM »
Say, is Secret of Mana any good? I've been thinking about downloading it for VC. Would you recommend it?
It's my favorite game of all, so yeah. I'll admit at first I was won over by the colorful locations and music and the presence of Flammie the white dragon. But as I played it, I also enjoyed it for its action-oriented realtime battle system (the only action battle system I've been willing to put up with because I can dodge physical attacks if I pay attention to how the enemies move). Plus, it was one of those games I heard about in Nintendo Power and I always wanted to find out what this "secret" of Mana was. Just look at the box cover for it, looks like they're deep in some forest. I can't resist a game like that.

What I remember most about the game, besides flying around as Flammie, is the music (especially that first forest you're in, before you get to Potos) and how fun it is to just walk around and smack enemies. Plus I happen to think a Rabite is the best first enemy ever because of its goofy face.

But the magic system is pretty bad. It takes forever to level it up, and the bosses are trivially easy to beat if you either have your magic regularly leveled up or you know a certain trick. I don't feel Secret of Mana had much in the way of level grinding, which is good... because it had frickin' magic grinding, which was horrible. Oh well, at least it's not as bad as Secret of Evermore's alchemy system.

I admit Chrono Trigger was bigger, better, and richer in every possible way... but you know how sometimes the extra stuff is overkill and you prefer not to think, going with a simpler game? That's how I view SoM, as a more simple RPG. I don't know, it just seemed to hit a niche because I haven't seen any other RPG with locations as appealing as those in SoM. By the way, I tried Seiken Densetsu 3 and didn't like it because they changed the battle system and the graphics gave it a different feel.

And just to reiterate again... Flammie was the overall reason I played SoM. Despite other RPGs that are better, flying around the world map as Flammie is what made it rise to #1 for me. Flammie makes an appearance in this "Gaming's Sweetest Rides" article.

The title screen's pretty memorable too.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 11:58:26 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

Print