Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. 2 prototype  (Read 39257 times)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« on: February 27, 2007, 03:07:39 AM »
Discuss the prototype here!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 06:39:29 AM »
Man, that's awesome. I wonder how the cartridge eventually ended up on eBay.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 03:10:46 PM »
The same way the prototype carts of any other game ended up there?

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 04:12:20 PM »
I really like the underground music, and how the percussion is sped up after awhile.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 11:10:39 PM »
This page is quite an accomplishment, and extremely informative!

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 11:36:05 PM »
So did the person send one of you the cartridge to test, or did they tell you about it, then go through the different parts by themselves?  Either way, very cool.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 12:53:28 AM »
The owner of the cartridge provided the majority of the basic information, screens, movies, and music.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 09:53:13 PM »
Ah, yes. I've seen this prototype displayed on about two other sites, but with not nearly as much info. So...obviously with those screens, you have a ROM...give us ur rom kthxplzbye  =P

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 10:17:51 PM »
Um...
The owner of the cartridge provided the majority of the basic information, screens, movies, and music.
So we don't have the ROM.

Also, read the rules.
Quote from: Deezer
Do not ask for ROMs or links to ROMs.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 01:14:23 AM »
I think Tweeter was being facetious. Unless he had a sudden AOL chat-attack while finishing the post.

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »
Um... So we don't have the ROM.

You can't get those screens from a TV. Those are definitely screen grabs. Maybe WE don't have it...

And yes, I was being sarcastic. I take it your sarcasm detectors are broken, lol.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 02:06:38 PM »
You can't get those screens from a TV.
I take it that you've never heard of a capture card.

Anyway, I read the feature about this prototype the other night, and it's pretty awesome. Nice job MEGAߥTE.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 05:19:11 PM by SolidShroom »

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 04:33:51 PM »
There is a ROM, but the owner chooses not to make it public.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 07:49:07 PM »
I don't know what to say to that but HOW LAME!!!!! LAAAAAAAAAAAME!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd like to play this...
But this can't be the only cartridge in the world. There has to be a ROM somewhere.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 08:02:46 PM »
I take it that you've never heard of a capture card.

Sorry, a capture card can't magically turn a TV signal into something as clean as that.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 12:23:30 AM »
I just got a bit of new info and added it to the page.

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 11:03:11 AM »
Oh man, it's like torture! Me want-e play-e!

Excellent coverage, though.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 10:21:51 PM »
Very nice.  Very thorough.

And I don't know if you noticed this and just thought it too insignificant to report, but there seems to be a slight difference with the side-curtains on the character select screen.  The final version simply extends inwards a little more.
Go Moon!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2007, 03:05:18 AM »
Nice find.

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2007, 10:29:33 PM »
There are also sprites left in all NES versions of SMB2 from the character select and chapter screens of doki doki panic.  The borders that make up the "book" in doki doki panic are still in SMB2's world screen sprites, but they're overlapped by numbers and letters.

As you can see, the border sprites are overlapped from "0" to "B".  I posted a cleaned up version on the left.

-Harry

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 07:22:51 AM »
It's the missing link! ...Between Doki Doki Panic and SMB2, of course.

I couldn't care less if I can play it or not, but that's still a pretty sweet find.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 10:32:48 AM »
Something small I noticed - in that commercial video, near the end, Mario's using the B button run and you can see the debug life meter as well - that tells me that it's not quite the same build, but rather a slightly later one.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2007, 01:52:28 AM »
It never ends! x_x
I want to kill the narrator of that commercial if he isn't dead already. All people who say "merry-oh" need DEATH. It is pronounced as spelled: "MAH-ri-oh." What the Dukar is a Merry-o? Like a Cheerio?
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2007, 10:45:13 AM »
I honestly don't give a hoop about SMB2 beta. The ROM is bound to be dumped someday, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday.
What I'd really like to see is some footage from the 1989 SMW beta.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2007, 03:56:54 PM »
The ROM has been dumped, but it isn't "publicly" available.

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2007, 12:37:38 AM »
Does the non-publicization of the SMB2 Beta ROM have to do with all those ESA issues and what-not?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2007, 06:54:39 PM »
Do you mean Nintendo not releasing it in some form or the person who has the cart not releasing the ROM?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 10:15:22 AM »
It has to do with the guy that owns the cartridge not wanting the ROM publicly available because he thinks it will lessen the monetary value of the cart or something.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 12:34:28 PM »
Maybe whoever buys it will be less greedy.
It's YOUR problem!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2007, 05:54:30 PM »
It's not for sale.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2007, 09:49:19 PM »
Then why would he care about the monetary value?!!! RRrrgh...
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2007, 02:12:12 AM »
Because he likes having a priceless and useful object instead of a merely valuable and no longer needed object.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2007, 03:38:12 AM »
Then why would he care about the monetary value?!!! RRrrgh...
That was only Chup's assumption.

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2007, 10:14:27 AM »
well if he is only concerned about losing monetary value... then couldn't we PAY him for the ROM, by compensating him for whatever the loss would be??, the cart itself I dont think would lose that much value, as it is still a rare one of a kind proto cart. Plus the best way to better your knowledge on a prototype game is to actually play the game there could be a LOT more that the owner didn't notice in terms of differences.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 10:23:29 AM by TeRaByTe »

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2007, 11:36:20 AM »
Okay, remove monetary from my last post.
Anyway I don't really know why he doesn't want the ROM available, because he would still have the real thing, which is always better and more real.
That was a joke.

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2007, 01:39:16 PM »
Okay, remove monetary from my last post.
Anyway I don't really know why he doesn't want the ROM available, because he would still have the real thing, which is always better and more real.
Drastic overdump or an invalid dump may get the cartridge itself to become glitched, misfunctioning, or broken forever.
Maybe he doesn't want to take any risks.

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2007, 02:30:12 PM »
Drastic overdump or an invalid dump may get the cartridge itself to become glitched, misfunctioning, or broken forever.
Maybe he doesn't want to take any risks.

The screenshots he provided come directly from a ROM that he has. You cant get screenshots from a TV that are that good, its impossible

basically, he is being rather stupid and is deciding not to release the ROM for whatever reason, probably because it will lessen the value a little bit
thats why I think paying him for a copy of the ROM will work... but who knows, everyone should have the opportunity to play this as it is a rare one of a kind find that probably will never come about again, IE Sonic 2 Beta/Alpha, and the knowledge that would be given to the mario community would be priceless, however it is SMB2 and the game was pretty much complete with the release of DDP, but who knows there may be suprises that are buried within the depths of the game that only would be found by having the ROM.

but still, having this ROM would be peanuts if we got a Dump of SMB3 beta or the 1989 SMW

also, does anyone have the owner's email address so I can PM him
and ask him if he'd email me the ROM for a price? then maybe I can get some donations on some other forums...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 03:19:41 PM by TeRaByTe »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2007, 04:56:01 PM »
1989 SMW? The NES ROM that's really terrible?! I have that... I dunno if it's messed up or what, but I couldn't get past Iggy's Castle (Forgot what the reason was). I tried to play it on nesDS (NES emulator for the DS) but it won't load. It feels homemade though...
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2007, 06:24:51 PM »
http://disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/secrets11.html scroll down the page, and glimpse upon the wonders of the 1989 SMW beta, its for SNES though, not NES, there never was an official SMW for nes just a pirate version that is only half the game. There are rumors of an NES beta version cleverly entitled Super Mario Bros. 4, but there was never a single screenshot or cart found

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2007, 02:54:43 PM »
I'm noticing how it seems on the SMW beta there, some of the graphics were later used on the Super Mario All-Stars stuff there, like the breakable bricks. That's one I noticed.

It also looks like the old ghost house things seemed like haunted-looking areas, or that they were on test levels. I think they're just test levels there honestly.

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2007, 12:22:51 AM »
Well, in case you didn't know, SMW's Japanese title was Super Mario Bros. 4, unless I'm mistaken.
The text "Super Mario Bros. 4" can be also found inside the ROM.

And the 1989 beta looks like they had just finished the main physics whatnot, and were focusing on level design more than on the graphics. Could be one of the reasons why nearly every graphic is changed in the final, surprisingly including the beautiful beta overworld.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2007, 10:03:09 AM »
I'm pretty sure SMB4 was SMW's early title, and it says SMB4 on the Japanese boxart. If you want to get really technical, that would make Yoshi's Island SMB5.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2007, 03:28:30 PM »
No, I think New Super Mario Bros. is SMB5, considering that YI's full title is Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2007, 03:29:13 PM »
Er, If SMW is SMB4, then that means SMW2 is SMB5, get it?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2007, 03:34:46 PM »
But I think SMW2 represents a branch from the other games. This is especially considering the major changes in story (Mario isn't the main character, the game takes place in the past, Bowser isn't the villain, etc.), gameplay, art style, and others.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2007, 05:52:05 PM »
They pulled the same thing with SML3, which is WL1.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2007, 09:16:48 PM »
The NES ROM that's really terrible?! . . . It feels homemade though...
That's because it is. It's just some pirated hack, not the actual SMW beta.

Well, in case you didn't know, SMW's Japanese title was Super Mario Bros. 4, unless I'm mistaken.
The text "Super Mario Bros. 4" can be also found inside the ROM.
Yes, the Japanese title was, I believe, Super Mario Bros. 4: Super Mario World, or something similar to that.

No, I think New Super Mario Bros. is SMB5, considering that YI's full title is Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.
Only in America. It was never Super Mario World 2 in Japan. So no.
That was a joke.

Matty_G33

• Banned
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2007, 05:37:36 AM »
A prototype cartridge? No surprise there. There are always screwy things like this. Even Metroid Prime had a glitched Version (which was a Korean version, rare. It saves faster than the US version, and if it saved over a US save, it would corrupt it). Super Smash Bros. Melee has a debug menu and same with other games.

What's next? MK64 Debug Menu? Ha [sarcasm]
Yo, I'm Matty Underscore G Thirty-Three!
And I need a freaking clue...

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2007, 10:33:21 PM »
There are like 3 different American versions of Metroid Prime also.
That was a joke.

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2007, 06:18:28 AM »
I'd like to note that the SMB2 beta ROM has been dumped today on Sonic CulT.
I'd post a link but I'm still unaware on the ROM rules...

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2007, 11:29:59 AM »
No posting ROMs or links to ROMs. But your post is perfectly OK.

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2007, 03:29:56 PM »
I went to the site and got the ROM. Unfortunately they stole TMK's whole article about it.

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2007, 03:38:11 PM »
I found it pretty funny how it says "Article stolen from TMK".

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2007, 06:00:03 PM »
It would have been nice if he had at the very least linked us.

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2007, 08:48:21 PM »
I've been a regular to their site, and yes, that is very typical of them.

Yes, the ROM has been released, and I've actually made YouTube videos of me playing them! Search for "Super Mario Bros. 2 Beta."

Sonic CULT says that they will supposedly change their article into their own work, but for now it's all stolen.

Boo_penguin

• Mushroom_Boy's best pal
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2007, 05:11:19 PM »
Link to the auction?
Before I go to bed I always scream "Everybody's doin' a brand new dance now and some girl appears and say  "Come on baby do the loco-motion".

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
The auction happened a couple years ago, so the link doesn't exist anymore.

Print