Print

Author Topic: Super Mario's Wacky World  (Read 7260 times)

Kojinka

• Bruised
« on: June 06, 2007, 10:13:28 AM »
An unfinished Mario game for the Phillips CD-i.  It seemed to try to imitate the SMW gameplay
I didn't even know of its existence until I found some footage of it on YouTube.  I'm glad this game was never released.

A few samples
Egypt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFwoka4rYVU

Swamp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThTXdZZ7xWA

Iceberd http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a5hiW14FE0

Land O' Plaid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdNFDmtefic
Regards, Uncle Dolan

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 10:19:17 AM »
I knew about this game for long time now, I thought everyone else knew...
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 10:29:31 AM »
Maybe I'm just slow on the times.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 10:35:37 AM »
Wacky Worlds. And yeah, most people should know about it. I think.
That was a joke.

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 10:38:45 AM »
Wasn't it mentioned in a mailbag?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 11:42:22 AM »
Yes, including screens.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 06:15:42 PM »
I also remember this. It's nothing new.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 06:18:02 PM »
Well, I didn't remember this...

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 07:47:13 PM »
I think I did see this game mentioned at the site before I found the footage, but I completely forgot about it.  The site doesn't very much info on it other than the fact that it was gonna be on the CD-i, and that it's in the Deadzone.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 08:20:15 PM »
Seen videos of it before. Doesn't look all that interesting.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 09:55:43 PM »
It was very early in development, so there's not a lot to say... hit detection doesn't work right, the music simply plays through the entire SMW soundtrack, and many of the levels aren't even selectable.  We'll have a special on it eventually.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 02:29:09 PM »
It looks pretty boring to me. Besides, "Wacky Worlds"? What kind of dorky name is that?
every

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 07:28:57 PM »
As MEGABYTE said, it was very early in development.  Wacky World might've been a code name, but the project was shelved before they could release a final title for the game.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007, 08:40:43 PM »
It was very early in development, so there's not a lot to say... hit detection doesn't work right, the music simply plays through the entire SMW soundtrack, and many of the levels aren't even selectable.  We'll have a special on it eventually.

Heh. That sounds kind of funny...

"This is game is terrible! It is the bane of everyone's existance! We will have a special on it soon!"
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 09:20:05 PM »
I thought that this would have been a good Mario game. But those videos showcased a lot of sloppy collision detection, bland level design and glitches for the whole family. Mario couldn't even swim (in the Artic level, he walks on the bottom of the water (and the screen) instead of swimming).

I'm glad this thing was shelved. Even if this was only the beta, it still looks pretty boring. At least it doesn't have crappy cutscenes like in Hotel Mario. At least, not that we know of.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Print