Print

Author Topic: Will there ever be a new Super Mario cartoon?  (Read 56239 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 12:23:42 AM »
1. Define "epic".

2. My idea of the ideal Mario cartoon intro doesn't exactly involve copying the ending of The Flinstones and The Simpsons' respective intros.

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 10:48:39 AM »
If Mario gets adapted into animation again, it'd probably have to be anime. Nintendo of America seems to be wary of any Super Mario adaptations since the live-action movie. By the time that was released, Mario had appeared in three TV series (four if you count Saturday Supercade), multiple comics (including Nintendo Power's excellent "Adventures" series) and even choose-your-own-adventure books.

But after the movie, there haven't been many, if any, adaptations in other media. Heck, Disney was probably lucky to get Bowser in "Wreck-It Ralph".
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 05:28:52 PM by DrFurball »

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 01:58:36 PM »
1. Define "epic".

2. My idea of the ideal Mario cartoon intro doesn't exactly involve copying the ending of The Flinstones and The Simpsons' respective intros.

1.  Anyone with half a brain would know that I mean cool fight sequences and/or hillarious slapstick.

2.  You're a jerk.  That's only true for two shows, and in the former, they go to a drive-in, not gather on their living room couch.

You know, Chef, it's replies like the ones you've made to me that have risked getting us both banned.  At this rate, it's like you're trying to get a reaction out of me because it somehow amuses you (which shows you haven't changed since I sent you that tirade).  New rule: if you can't say anything nice about my creativity, don't say anything at all, including hurtful things.

Really, man, stop asking for a fight.  I really can't take your attitude problem anymore.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 02:03:16 PM by TheColonelKR »
"I'd love to tell jokes... but you'd probably just laugh at me." -- Scott Burns, the One True Voice of Bowser

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 03:41:13 PM »
If Mario gets adapted into American animation again, it'd probably have to be anime.

How? How is that possible?

1. Define "epic".

http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/435
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 03:49:52 PM »
1.  Anyone with half a brain would know that I mean cool fight sequences and/or hillarious slapstick.

epic  
ep·ic  [ep-ik] 
adjective
1.noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero, in which a series of great achievements or events is narrated in elevated style: Homer's Iliad is an epic poem.
2.resembling or suggesting such poetry: an epic novel on the founding of the country.
3.heroic; majestic; impressively great: the epic events of the war.
4.of unusually great size or extent: a crime wave of epic proportions.
noun
5.an epic poem.
6.epic poetry.
7.any composition resembling an epic.
8.something worthy to form the subject of an epic: The defense of the Alamo is an American epic.
9.( initial capital letter  ) . Also called Old Ionic. the Greek dialect represented in the Iliad  and the Odyssey,  apparently Aeolic modified by Ionic.

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2012, 04:56:20 PM »
epic  
ep·ic  [ep-ik] 
adjective
1.noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero, in which a series of great achievements or events is narrated in elevated style: Homer's Iliad is an epic poem.
2.resembling or suggesting such poetry: an epic novel on the founding of the country.
3.heroic; majestic; impressively great: the epic events of the war.
4.of unusually great size or extent: a crime wave of epic proportions.
noun
5.an epic poem.
6.epic poetry.
7.any composition resembling an epic.
8.something worthy to form the subject of an epic: The defense of the Alamo is an American epic.
9.( initial capital letter  ) . Also called Old Ionic. the Greek dialect represented in the Iliad  and the Odyssey,  apparently Aeolic modified by Ionic.

Now you're just calling me inferior!  It's kind of funny that, when I called you inferior, you got to lock my thread, but apparently, as a moderator, you can abuse me to your heart's content.

In case you haven't noticed, a lot of people ise the term "epic" to refer to something cool or awesome.  If you want to use the old definition, go ahead.  Your ego is the size of Jupiter anyway.

Actually, definition 3 is what I was going for.
"I'd love to tell jokes... but you'd probably just laugh at me." -- Scott Burns, the One True Voice of Bowser

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »
"Epic" is dying and no one is going to its funeral, please don't bring it back.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2012, 05:29:08 PM »
How? How is that possible?
Augh. Don't know how "American" got in there. Thanks for spotting it.

Hello:)

• Goodbye:(
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2012, 08:49:58 PM »
Now you're just calling me inferior!  It's kind of funny that, when I called you inferior, you got to lock my thread, but apparently, as a moderator, you can abuse me to your heart's content.

In case you haven't noticed, a lot of people ise the term "epic" to refer to something cool or awesome.  If you want to use the old definition, go ahead.  Your ego is the size of Jupiter anyway.

Actually, definition 3 is what I was going for.
Actually, awesome means full of awe, but we can't say awful, and cool is almost cold. You mean great. And I doubt it is, based off of your screenplay.
Good sir

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2012, 06:03:17 PM »
Actually, awesome means full of awe, but we can't say awful, and cool is almost cold. You mean great. And I doubt it is, based off of your screenplay.

Okay, okay, I get it.  None of you likes my writing because it doesn't entirely comply with the Mario ethos as it currently stands up to the most recent game of the series.  You want a BORING day-in-the-life-of-Mario story?  Go play one of the games.  There are critics out there who warn us that a movie too much like the games would be as incomprehensible as one of the game stories and as repetitive as running through classic courses.

Actually, you all say you know what Nintendo would want for a movie based on the articles you've read.  However, you are as yet to show me any articles that prove how everything I write is the Antichrist.  Go ahead.  Prove me wrong.  Prove that I'm the worst writer in history because I didn't give you an "absurdist comedy (I shudder at the thought)."

Also, I looked up the definition for "absurdist comedy," and in that style, it involves implementing story elements that don't make sense.  Why would I do that?  That's what Rocky Morton and Annabel Jankel did, and look where it landed them!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 06:09:32 PM by TheColonelKR »

Hello:)

• Goodbye:(
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2012, 06:06:41 PM »
Back to the topic, I think that a new show that doesn't follow an actual Mario story or is based off SMG would be great.
Good sir

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2012, 07:09:14 PM »
SMG felt like a Paper Mario story to me, kinda. So maybe a Paper Mario movie would be good.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2012, 07:13:39 PM »
SMG felt like a Paper Mario story to me, kinda. So maybe a Paper Mario movie would be good.

That would be stylistically unique.  I believe it would be much easier to translate an RPG more than any other kind of game into a film.  They really feel like movies.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2012, 07:15:13 PM »
I don't know if a movie directly based on Paper Mario would work, but a plot structure where Mario has to collect X amount of trinkets/visit X amount of specific locations before fighting Bowser at the end is typical enough of a Mario plot for them to base a movie on it. Since a kids film is typically an hour and a half long, I'd scale it down to three McGuffins, one for each act. There can also a be a B plot similar to the first two Paper Marios where Peach tries to escape/finds a way to send information to Mario from afar.

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2012, 07:20:36 PM »
I meant moreso story elements, but.. yeah.

I like the idea of Peach somehow sending info to Mario, and finding ways to attempt escape.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print