Print

Author Topic: Nintendo DK or Rareware DK  (Read 23456 times)

« on: October 02, 2005, 11:51:09 AM »
Which one do you perfer?
"Oh east, I thought you said 'weast'" Patrick

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 01:04:33 PM »
Nintendo DK, all the way. Rare messed with his past and life way too much. They added to many other kongs.

If birds breathed fire everytime they posted, the forum would''ve blow''d up by now.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 01:43:30 PM »
Rareware DK. That tie is just so classy.

"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 02:51:26 PM »
Nintendo D.K. Rare messes everything up. I don't even know which Donkey Kong is Donkey Kong anymore........

I''m-a Luigi! Number-a one!
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 04:14:56 PM »
I second the tie comment.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 08:59:21 PM »
Rare's: tie, voice, overall look and body shape, many or all of the added Kongs, rideable animals, enemies, worlds, music, and DK rap.
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

Sqrt2

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 08:07:55 AM »
Rare's DK as they wouldn't have made any stupid Donkey Konga games. And for the Cranky-Donkey Kong relationship.

Macbeth tried hard - he gave it a good stab.

Edited by - Sqrt2 on 10/3/2005 7:08:28 AM
AA fanboy and proud!

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 08:30:38 AM »
I don't think Rare messed up the storyline. I heard somewhere that Mario just graduated from high school during the Donkey Kong Arcade saga. Donkey Kong had a son.

Then as Mario grew older, so did the ape and his son. The original DK, now too old to anything, became Cranky. And with DK Jr., all grown up, took off Jr. in his name.
"Oh east, I thought you said 'weast'" Patrick

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 09:21:15 AM »
Rare basically revived DK. Without them, he would've probably rotted in the dropped ideas bin.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 02:15:57 PM »
Nintendo all the way!

Mario Mario he''s our man, if he can''t triple-jump and ground-pound no one can!

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 10:36:23 AM »
Rare's Donkey Kong is far superior. Heck, if it wasn't, why would nintendo adopt it as their own? Before Rare, DK was just another Gorilla.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 04:11:23 PM »
I'd rather he have rotted away and become what The Ice Climbers have than become a monkey with an identity crisis and a history beaten until dead and then beaten some more.

You''re all my FFFFs. My Freakin'' Fungi Forum Friends!
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2005, 09:30:05 PM »
It is positively obvious that Rare Ware’s Donkey Kong has un-questionably become the dominant image.  They added a jungle style to Donkey Kong that would not have come about without their aid.  Donkey Kong would not exist today without Rare.  It was obvious that Nintendo was content with allowing Donkey Kong to remain nothing more than a King Kong parody for the Arcade and Game-Boy Platforms.  It was Rare that truly envisioned giving Donkey Kong his own story and personality.  They conveyed their ideas with some flaws and repetitiveness.  But, in truth even Mario is incredibly repetitive.

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2005, 11:04:39 PM »
The only problem I can find with Rare DK is the horrible character transitions to 3d (ugly kremlings plus the fact that they got rid of some of the cool ones) and the addition of furrotica late in the franchise's life.

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 10:18:39 AM »
The only thing I hate from Rare is Dixie Kong. I hate her!

Naruto, Code:Lyoko, Zatch Bell, Bomberman, and Mario Pwns.

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2005, 10:20:56 AM »
Aarom11, I agree. that noise she wins a Jungle Jam game in DK: King of Swing, is so annoying. (Edit) It sounded like she couldn't stop sneezing.

Other Guy: Well thats because someone''s cat was strangled on the phone line.

Edited by - bigmariofan1.0 on 10/9/2005 10:15:04 AM
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2005, 11:04:02 AM »
Both DKC and DKC2 are instant classics, but I must admit that DK and DKJ are even classicer. (lol)  Both franchises have their ups and downs in the DK world.  I don't know which one I like better.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2005, 11:27:53 AM »
Rare: There's only DK and DKJR for the non-rare version, and then you have games like DK64 and DKR.  I've never played DKC, but maybe I should.  I usually didn't like DK, but I like the games.

“Of all the people I know, it is expected that Watoad will say ‘cheese’ first.”
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2005, 12:25:47 AM »
If friggin' dixie or lanky or any other DKC thing appears in the next Mario Kart game on the Revolution, I'm not getting it. Or unlocking them, if that's the case. Notice I didn't capitalize the names of the retarded apes.

You''re all my http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=memyffffs3bi.png "> FFFFs . My Freakin'' Fungi Forum Friends!

It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2005, 07:13:04 AM »
You'd still get SSB3 right? If they are there, you can beat the crap out of them.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2005, 10:40:21 AM »
Yeah, it was pretty weird to get Diddy in MK:DD.  Not that I minded, but I never used him.  Nor did I ever use DK.  Gosh, I like Rare games though...

“Of all the people I know, it is expected that Watoad will say ‘cheese’ first.”
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 11:08:51 AM »
I like them too, it's just that Rare is with Microsoft now.

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2005, 05:02:16 PM »
"but I must admit that DK and DKJ are even classicer."

And you call yourself a teacher? :P
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2005, 08:21:07 PM »
Of course, I'm Bird Person: Born to raise CRAP!!!!! Ok, sorry...

You''re all my http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=memyffffs3bi.png "> FFFFs . My Freakin'' Fungi Forum Friends!

It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2005, 08:33:14 PM »
Okay, where'd this hatred for the other kongs pop up from?

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2005, 05:59:48 PM »
Sorry, from me. It's just that they are annoying.

Mario, Mario, He''s our man, If he can''t triple-jump and ground pound no one can!

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2005, 04:21:46 PM »
Rare DK.

Two words:

TOOTHY GRIN.

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2005, 09:27:44 PM »
Ugh. DK vine has started to poison your mind.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2005, 11:52:09 PM »
I'd like to quote Watoad on this:

"Rare's: tie, voice, overall look and body shape, many or all of the added Kongs, rideable animals, enemies, worlds, music, and DK rap."

Yeah, that's right. What I don't like is their "universes" overlapping; DK can overlap into the Mario Universe, fine, even though it doesn't make much sense (regardless of the original Donkey Kong game). But the others, like Diddy, overlapping? Nuh-uh.

--------------------
Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools, because they have to say something.

Edited by - Sapphira on 11/9/2005 9:54:57 PM
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2005, 03:08:24 PM »
"Ugh. DK vine has started to poison your mind."

How?  You have to admit that grin makes DK look
 like crap...

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2005, 05:00:30 PM »
Not really.

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2005, 05:53:56 PM »
I'll have to agree with what Javis_rose said on page one. What do you have against Dixie and Lanky, anyway, Bird Person? I'm not mad, I'm just asking. If you're gonna say bad stuff about them, please provide a good reason.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2005, 06:29:05 PM »
Sapph: Rare didn't add DK's tie, Nintendo did in GB DK.

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2005, 07:35:52 PM »
Sapph: Why does DK overlapping into Mario's universe not make sense? They've been together in games on all systems, start to end.

^ It is an utterly inescapable miasma of pure, mind-shattering MADNESS from which no mind can awake!

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2005, 08:24:19 PM »
MB: I was just quoting Watoad's list. Because of this, you shouldn't just address me for that (and I forgot about DKGB).

LD: Other than the Donkey Kong and DK Jr. games (and remakes), he's only been in spinoff games. Anyway, it doesn't make sense because it confuses the already-inconsistent Donkey Kong continuity even more, with the whole "is current DK the original DK, DK Jr., or the grandson of the original?" thing. The Mario Universe's DK seems to be recognized as the ORIGINAL DK, whereas Rare's DK recognizes Cranky Kong as the original, and current DK as his son or grandson.

I just think of the DK and Mario universes as seperate, and the fact that they overlap so much now (ever since MGTT) makes me go AAAAGH.

--------------------
Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools, because they have to say something.

Edited by - Sapphira on 11/10/2005 6:28:07 PM
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2005, 10:43:17 PM »
What about Mario vs. Donkey Kong?

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2005, 10:47:47 PM »
Technically, isn't that a really spiffed-up MAJORLY adapted remake of Donkey Kong? *shrugs*
Or if not, a spin-off? That's what I was thinking when I thought of MvDK, a remake or spin-off.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 10:57:26 PM by Sapphira »

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2005, 10:52:25 PM »
 I don't know if you could call it a remake. The changes made are rather drastic.

Spin off I could buy, however.

EDIT: Whoops, as for the thread's topic, I can't really say I prefer one over the other. Both of them existed whilst I was a child, and though I knew of the original DK first, I don't really have a preference.

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2005, 12:24:54 AM »
People have to remember this is Mario we're talkin' about. Mario has NO continuity. You could slap in any old DK in the games and he'll only be refered to as DK.

SuperSonic I'll automatically assume DK vine If I hear the following words: Toothy Grin, DK on Robitussen, Japan Super Happy, Yellow Dinosaur, David Wise, Arrested Development, Sockpuppets, and KISS Kong.

Besides the Toothy Grin makes DK look like a Gorilla, which is what he's supposed to be.

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2005, 04:55:37 PM »
Well then, I declare that DKC is a majorly spiffed-up remake of Donkey Kong (or else a spin-off) and so DK belongs to Nintendo from the beginning anyway.

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2005, 04:45:08 PM »
People have to remember this is Mario we're talkin' about. Mario has NO continuity. You could slap in any old DK in the games and he'll only be refered to as DK.

SuperSonic I'll automatically assume DK vine If I hear the following words: Toothy Grin, DK on Robitussen, Japan Super Happy, Yellow Dinosaur, David Wise, Arrested Development, Sockpuppets, and KISS Kong.

Besides the Toothy Grin makes DK look like a Gorilla, which is what he's supposed to be.

I'll admit, I do go to DKU.  However, I do not nessesarily beleive everything they say.   However, even before I joined, I thought DK had been progessivly getting uglier since Mario Party 4.  And I take it you haven't seen MKDS (It's hideous).  I couldn't care less if he looks more like a Gorilla.  Almond Eyes and jelly rolls would make Mario look more like a Human.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 10:49:17 AM by SuperSonic_Yoshi »

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2006, 12:48:16 AM »
First and foremost , I'd like to apologize in advance for bumping this topic , however I'd really like to add my opinion to this topic. Welll, both Donkey Kong's have their ups and downs let's look at Nintendo's Donkey Kong shall we?

Now then, Nintendo's Donkey Kong was a villian, but a missunderstood one at that. When he and Mario first met they hit it off pretty bad with Donkey kiddnaping his girlfriend Pauline and trying to kill the plucky plumber with barrels and living fire balls, it was no doubt that Donkey Kong was a villian. However, his son DKjr. was quiet the opposite. He rised leg and limb to save his papa from Maro and ulitmatley succeeded. After that we once again saw Donkey Kong as a villian  in Donkey Kong three where he attacked Mario's (presumed) cousin Stanley for no apparent reason (once again showing the villianry of Donkey Kong). Last, but not least we have DK '94 where Donkey once again proved to be a villian by once again kiddnapping Pauline )and even forcing his poor innocent son to help him.). That ofcourse was the last we saw of Nintendo's DK for awhile.

Now then let's look at Rareware's potrayl of the big ape. Now Rareware in some aspects changed Donkey from a villian to a hero, however in other aspects they did not. If you believe that DKjr. is the current DK it would make sense for him to be more of a hero , heck same goes for if you believe in the current DK being DKjr's son due to the fact he might have been raised by his father to be a hero. But, symbolically it was a change from hero to villian, not to mention it confused many fans abiut the identity of Donkey Kong. But, despite this Rareware did so much good for the Donkey Kong seires. they trnasformed it from being a now dead series which consisted only of three arcade games into a glorious new game series that was full of well rounded characters, addictive gameplay, a new enemy for the big ape and  glorious new enviorments.

Bottom line, despite some critisism I think that Rareware's Donkey Kong is far more supieror to Nintendo's (Once again my apologies for bumping).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 01:00:39 AM by CreamCat »

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2006, 08:05:01 PM »
Good post.

I personally go with the "Rare DK is Original DK's grandson" theory; it has always seemed to me that there was more evidence on this side than on the "Rare DK is Original DK's son" side. The evidence for the other side seemed to me to mostly rest on a single (?) statement made by Cranky in DK64. But then, I haven't looked at the evidence for a long time.

As for the topic at hand, I think I probably enjoy playing Rare DK games more, especially DK64 (these days at least). So I'll vote "Rareware DK".

EDIT: Bird Person, why do you hate the other Kongs? I think they're great characters. No offense, of course.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 08:11:08 PM by smfan1085 »
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2006, 08:19:39 PM »
Creamcat's post is Mariology material. Great post, I agree.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2006, 08:40:14 PM »
Eh, I don't know. I just stick to Mario. Just Mario...
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2006, 06:38:28 AM »
I'm gonna have to go with Nintendo's DK.  He's the most classic.  I mean, he threw barrels at an Italian carpenter who would later on become one of the most famous plumbers.  If it weren't for the original DK arcade, we probably wouldn't have Mario.

Also, the hammer!  One of the most classical weapons in the Nintendo universe.  I mean when you use the hammer in SSB/M and hear its theme, you just get a sort of nostalgic feeling.  It takes you back to 1981.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2006, 09:42:21 PM »
For the record:

Quote from: Nintendo Power Sept. 1994
It was decided to return to Nintendo's roots by using Donkey Kong as the hero because he had less background than other Nintendo characters, and that meant that Rare could have greater freedom in creating a new DK world. Mr. Miyamoto, Nintendo's ace game creator, designed a modernized DK and Tim Stamper put him into the SGI system.

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2006, 11:55:22 AM »
Well I go for Nintendo.This should be a poll!
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2006, 09:33:51 AM »
It shouldn't really be "Nintendo's DK VS Rare's DK."  It should be "Nintendo's DK VS Nintendo & Rare's DK."  They colaborated on the Donkey Kong series for Super Nintendo (The DK Country Trilogy).  I even emailed Nintendo about it and they said that both Nintendo and Rare worked together to make those games. 

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2013, 08:36:40 AM »
If friggin' dixie or lanky or any other DKC thing appears in the next Mario Kart game on the Revolution, I'm not getting it. Or unlocking them, if that's the case. Notice I didn't capitalize the names of the retarded apes.<p>

You''re all my <a href=" http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=memyffffs3bi.png "> FFFFs [/url]. My Freakin'' Fungi Forum Friends!

I've got to ask...did you end up not getting Mario Kart Wii because of Funky Kong? Or did you just not bother to unlock him?

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2013, 12:18:04 PM »
Alph, I don't know who you are, but thank you for unearthing this gem.
I'm a horrible person.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2013, 04:31:36 PM »
Wow what a hateful kid. What is he, 13 or something? Get off the Internet BP, no one even cares about your tastes or opinions. Maybe if you played Donkey Kong 64 you'd find it's basically another Banjo game. You'd like it.

I don't have Mario Kart Wii anymore, because my friends and I preferred Double Dash!! for multiplayer and the single-player was... frustrating. But when I did, I had unlocked every character except Baby Daisy (by coincidence, I didn't meet the requirements for her, and when I found out what they were and that she was in, didn't bother with it) and the second Mii outfit.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2013, 10:08:14 PM »
Bird Person*

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2013, 09:02:30 PM »
Alph, I don't know who you are, but thank you for unearthing this gem.
That was his first post in eight years. Check his profile! Also, heh, unearthed. Get it, because, y'know, the Ruins of Alph? Like, in Pokémon Gold and Silver? Heh...
Relics.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2013, 01:26:28 PM »
You''re all my <a href=" http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=memyffffs3bi.png "> FFFFs [/url]. My Freakin'' Fungi Forum Friends!

Oh wow, the picture's still there.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2013, 02:23:17 PM »
That's Image Shack for you; I used to use it all the time.

I remember, I once drew a picture of BP, as a guy with wings. I... don't think I posted that here, ever.
I'm a horrible person.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2013, 03:11:27 PM »

caw
It's YOUR problem!

Print