Print

Author Topic: The Koopalings Aren't Bowser's Kids & Other Startling Revelations from Miyamoto  (Read 12377 times)

David

• Trusts the fungus
« on: September 20, 2012, 11:23:56 AM »
Game Informer magazine recently published an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka, an interview in which several startling new revelations about the Mushroom World were revealed.  You may want to sit down before you read these.

* Currently, Bowser Jr. is Bowser's only child.  The Koopalings are no longer considered Bowser's children.

* Yoshi's Island is part of the core Mario series.

* Mario and Luigi have no last name.

* As Mario has always been a blue-collar worker, it's possible that his medical role in Dr. Mario was "maybe, in some way, not necessarily legitimate."

Pick up a copy of Game Informer for the full interview.

Source: Game Informer, October 2012.
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 11:50:40 AM »
I can understand the desire to sort-of solidify the franchise into a tangible "game world," but it never really works out that way, does it? In any case, I find this excommunication amusing.

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 11:51:15 AM »
Everything I know is a lie!

* Toad sulks
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 02:31:13 PM »
Mario and Luigi have no last name.

LA LA LA LA I'M NOT LISTENING
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 03:53:59 PM »
Granted, this is coming from someone who only started being familiar with the series since ~2002, but those revelations weren't all that shocking to me.  The Koopalings always have seemed like the standard-intentionally-vague relations of Bowser.  The Dr. Mario bit was pretty funny, though.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 04:22:31 PM »
The Koopalings always have seemed like the standard-intentionally-vague relations of Bowser.
Well, we know who didn't read the game manual (or watch the cartoons).

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 05:07:43 PM »
Legitimate or not, Dr. Mario's practice got results!

I'm very interested in reading more of the interview; I'll definitely take a peek at some point.
I'm a horrible person.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 05:12:49 PM »
Miyamoto's remark about Dr. Mario makes me sad because now all those people who make stupid jokes about Dr. Mario popping pills or being a quack now have more ammunition. :\

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 09:00:57 PM »
Wendy O. Koopa is not gonna like this......

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 03:03:58 AM »
Miyamoto's remark about Dr. Mario makes me sad because now all those people who make stupid jokes about Dr. Mario popping pills or being a quack now have more ammunition. :\

I actually kinda like the idea. Makes me think of him like Dr. Nick Riviera from The Simpsons...
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 12:37:44 PM »
Well, we know who didn't read the game manual (or watch the cartoons).
Granted, this is coming from someone who only started being familiar with the series since ~2002
Which I guess just means Nintendo's done a better job of keeping the "canon" straight the last decade or so.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 04:50:57 PM »
You might have noticed that some time into the Wii era, Nintendo began moving more and more towards keeping the cast of enemies and playable characters as well as the environments consistent. I think this is why the first three NSMB games use the same world archetypes and why the new Paper Mario looks so atmospherically generic.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 04:55:24 PM »
Playable characters maybe not. Look at Mario Kart 7.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 10:23:08 AM »
I thought Mario's last name was Mario...
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 12:58:54 PM »
I get the feeling Mario doesn't really need a last name in the Mushroom Kingdom. I think most Toads would know who you're talking about.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 04:32:45 PM »
1. I always thought of them as nieces and nephews to Bowser.

2. Not shocking in the least.

3. I knew his last name couldn't be Mario. I always thought that to be ridiculous.

4. I thought this one was pretty funny, actually.

But that just leaves one question: The time gap in Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2. How does Mario look exactly the same when 100 years has passed since the first game?
"Floor ice cream gives you health!" - Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising.

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 05:05:22 PM »
What's this about a time gap? Besides, Mario has managed to look the same for 30 years, so another 70 is nothing.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 05:31:38 PM »
100 years? The heck did he pull that from? I though Rosalina just put everything in a black hole and then it got burped back out in a slightly different arrangement.

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
As you should know, shining star dust rains down from the sky every 100 years. Both games took place at a similar occurance, but at clearly different times (i.e.day and night). The only way that would be possible is if 100 years have passed since the original Super Mario Galaxy.

They also state this in the manual and the game, so it couldn't be a mistake.

Also, he was a baby in Yoshi's Island and since that is cannon, Mario can age.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:01:00 PM by Electric »

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 06:58:54 PM »
Don't Star Bits also fall during the credits? Did it take Mario a century to rescue Peach?

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 07:11:15 PM »
Super Mario Galaxy 2 took place all in one day because of the wormholes the ship went through to get to each world, as opposed to actually flying to each galaxy. Also, the ending took place at night, while the intro took place in the day, so my theory could be possible. In fact, when Mario actually got back to the Mushroom Kingdom, it was at sunset. Then again, I'm talking about a game series where you can kill the sun with a turtle shell. I'm probably over thinking it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:20:54 PM by Electric »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 09:07:03 PM »
I believe one of the first things the press mentioned about SMG2 is that it takes place parallel to SMG1, which means it's not a sequel. It's an alternate take of the same event. I always assumed this was spurned by Rosalina's reset but that's neither here nor there.

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 10:05:16 PM »
That bodes well for CrossEyed's split-timeline theory.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 11:50:11 PM »
I think it's more like SMG2 is Miyamoto's revenge on the SMG1 developers for sneaking an actual story into SMG1 while he wasn't looking.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 08:16:51 AM »
Sounds like Montezuma's Revenge.

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 12:15:48 PM »
Was there a sequel to the "Frog spitting colored jewels" game?

SMG1 is Nintendo's effort to put story in Mario games, SMG2 is Miyamoto's effort to stop them.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 12:25:52 PM »
Zuma's Revenge!, yes. There was no other possible title.

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 01:46:56 PM »
Oh yeah! It was called Zuma wasn't it. Silly me

Print