Print

Author Topic: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and Mario Power Tennis Remakes for Wii  (Read 24123 times)

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 09:49:18 AM »
I don't think you know what makes a game good.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 12:32:23 PM »
Good for me, or good for you?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 12:54:27 PM »
Good as in good. More superfluous characters and rehash items and locations do not a good game make. Fresh, innovative controls and pure fun, on the other hand, do.
That was a joke.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 03:46:19 PM »
If it's rehashing time, why not Nintendo 64 remakes that have been surprisingly scarce on the DS? If it's port-last-gen-games-to-Wii time, why not get Konami to put Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 on it?

Paper Mario DS should be made. WITH ALL NEW TOUCH SCREEN CONTROL GIMMICKS! Nah just make a completely new game (and please don't make it a platformer) Oh and thanks BP for not rubbing in that spelling mistake in my face. But know what, I'm not going to change it.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 07:52:49 PM »
Good as in good. More superfluous characters and rehash items and locations do not a good game make. Fresh, innovative controls and pure fun, on the other hand, do.

Everybody and their dog would complain big time if the next Mario game lacked Peach, Bowser, Toad, all of the usual enemy drones, and the Mushroom Kingdom/ some place that looks like it's set in the Mushroom World. Seriously.

EDIT: What I find even more hard to believe is that the fanservice/reference-ridden SMG was made by the same team as Jungle Beat. Why is this?

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008, 07:53:54 PM »
Super Mario Land?
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2008, 07:54:25 PM »
Do you see anybody liking anything about SML besides it's music?

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2008, 08:05:54 PM »
I liked everything about the game, but I guess the reason I don't mind Peach, Luigi and the rest of them not being there is because it was my first Mario game.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2008, 09:03:58 PM »
Super Mario Land 2 lacked pretty much everything as well, and it's pretty decent. Not groundbreakingly great like Jungle Beat is, however.
Also keep in mind that Miyamoto apparently hates DKC games, and while I don't, I see no reason to continue with them instead of making stuff that is way more awesome.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2008, 09:08:43 PM »
I liked everything about the game, but I guess the reason I don't mind Peach, Luigi and the rest of them not being there is because it was my first Mario game.
It was the developer's first Mario game, too.

Has anyone even said if this series is coming to the US?
Well, I've heard mixed reports on that. It seems like one of those Japan-only things, but the line between too weird/superfluous to come to the states has been fading in the last few years. As a business, Nintendo's pulled more boners than chronic masturbator, but this one really takes the cake. I mean, at least the Virtual Boy was original.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 07:16:54 AM »
Super Mario Land 2 lacked pretty much everything as well, and it's pretty decent. Not groundbreakingly great like Jungle Beat is, however.
Also keep in mind that Miyamoto apparently hates DKC games, and while I don't, I see no reason to continue with them instead of making stuff that is way more awesome.

I read that Miyamoto made amends after Yoshi's Island was made, so if anything it's Nintendo Tokyo that hates the DK franchise.

I don't mind JB's game concept in the least. I just didn't like the fact that every possible role that was already filled by something from past games was replaced with crappy un-DK looking facsimiles. I mean, why did they give us those white monkeys when they could've just as easily been Barrel Cannons? Why do we have to fight koosh ball pigs and evil cactuses when they should really be Gnawties and Kremlings? Why do we have the buffalo and the orca whale rejects when those are really the same thing as Rambi and Enguarde? It makes no sense.

I mean, didn't it bother any of you when they used those cruddy "Strollin' Stus" instead of Goombas in SMS?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 09:10:38 AM »
So that's what those obese, midgets clowns are called? Yeah, that P'd me O.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 09:40:54 AM »
Hmm. I always considered it just an extension of the near lack of traditional enemies seen in SM64. What I disliked more was the weirdly redesigned Bob-ombs.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
Hmm. I always considered it just an extension of the near lack of traditional enemies seen in SM64.
Uhh... like Goombas, Koopas, Bob-Ombs, Thwomps, Chain Chomps, and (Monty) Moles? SMS is practically a class all it's own when it comes to non-"traditional" enemies (but hey, barring the possibility that Isle Delfino is an island nation subordinate to the MK, what do you expect?).

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 01:38:11 PM »
Well, I've heard mixed reports on that. It seems like one of those Japan-only things, but the line between too weird/superfluous to come to the states has been fading in the last few years. As a business, Nintendo's pulled more boners than chronic masturbator, but this one really takes the cake. I mean, at least the Virtual Boy was original.

I wouldn't say that re-releasing old games with new features is necessarily "weird." It's certainly not infrequent. When I think of weird Japanese exclusives, it brings to mind strange hardware devices like the Satalite BS-X, or zany games like Captain Rainbow. I'm not getting the same feeling from this "new" series - it sounds like a pretty normal move, actually.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Print