Print

Author Topic: The Pointless Topic!  (Read 2487589 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #11220 on: November 17, 2010, 09:52:19 AM »
I guess I didn't notice this before:

Screencap from TVTropes:

According to TvTropes, obscure anime is 26 times more important and noteworthy than classic literature.
Disregarding the fact that Nanoha isn't all that obscure...this is the Internet, and TV Tropes, in particular, draws far more nerds than it does lovers of the classics. So of course anime is going to be more popular. It's why, if you look up "U.N. Owen" on Google, there are more results on the first page relating to Touhou than to And Then There Were None.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #11221 on: November 17, 2010, 08:38:11 PM »
I found out something pretty interesting by random chance.

You know Retro Studios who's developing Donkey Kong Country Returns, yeah? Well, I'm going to Austin Community College Northridge soon and will be living in the apartment complexes right by school, so I was looking around Google Maps to see what resources would be near me, and I happened upon a small building called "Retro Studios." I didn't think it could be the Retro Studios, but I followed the link aaaand... sure enough it is.

So lol, I'm gonna be living within three blocks of Retro Studios. Kinda cool, right? I was down at ACC yesterday, so I was within three blocks of DKCR, holy crapolaz. I had no idea they were even based in Texas, let alone in Round Rock (north Austin area). I also found out that Midway's headquarters was based in Austin sometime back. What the hell? I apparently suck at spotting video game developers in my area.

EDIT: Turns out it's a huge building, and that I actually passed it. It's on Kramer Ln. and I passed it on my way to apply at some places. I should go apply there for like a desk job or something.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:56:44 PM by Trainman »
Formerly quite reasonable.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11222 on: November 18, 2010, 11:00:41 AM »
That's pretty cool.

"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

kirbyman

• Tourette's
« Reply #11223 on: November 18, 2010, 07:04:26 PM »
My new favorite staircase:

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11224 on: November 18, 2010, 07:40:57 PM »
Yes, I love that picture... well, staircase.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11225 on: November 19, 2010, 10:17:46 AM »
Is there seriously anybody who didn't know this?

« Reply #11226 on: November 19, 2010, 01:33:09 PM »
That's almost as amazing as the revelation that the bushes and clouds in SMB are recolors of each other.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11227 on: November 19, 2010, 01:35:59 PM »
It is?

I dunno, I guess I always just took the fact that the game has a recurring theme for granted.  Just like with Super Mario World before it.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #11228 on: November 19, 2010, 04:11:51 PM »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11229 on: November 20, 2010, 08:37:01 AM »
So, I got a little annoyed with Firefox's seeming inability to go a month without screwing up how Flash works, so I'm tentatively switching to Chrome.  Any thoughts?  Is it a good browser?  A bad browser?

« Reply #11230 on: November 20, 2010, 07:08:04 PM »
What I'm curious about is what you mean by "screwing up how Flash works".

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11231 on: November 20, 2010, 07:40:40 PM »
Mostly YouTube videos that don't play unless I'm constantly moving my mouse.  It happens periodically and apparently the easiest fix is to switch to Chrome.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #11232 on: November 20, 2010, 08:17:01 PM »
Chrome is now my default.  I rank them this way:  Chrome >> Firefox >>>>>>>> I.E.

Flash still crashes in Chrome, but it doesn't cripple the whole browser and Chrome will tell you that Flash crashed instead of leaving you wondering what happened.  With Chrome I sometimes get some strange layouts when replying to a post here and SproutOnline.com gives a big black rectangle on the screen, but those are the only errors outside of Flash and Java I've ever seen personally. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11233 on: November 20, 2010, 10:38:31 PM »
I've got Opera. :/

« Reply #11234 on: November 21, 2010, 01:20:04 AM »
If a browser doesn't let you open links in new tabs by middle-clicking them, it's not even worth considering. That is all.

Internet Explorer is the George W. Bush of web browsers: It's mediocre and nobody seems to like it, but it still functions at a basic level. I can't stand Firefox, I've never used Chrome, and Opera is just a myth.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print