Print

Author Topic: Racism as comedy  (Read 18876 times)

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 02:08:09 PM »
I'm going to start posting like this now.

Wait, so that's invisible on the default, black forum scheme? Huh.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2009, 02:21:40 PM »
Wait, so that's invisible on the default, black forum scheme? Huh.
On light grey posts. Dark grey ones are this color.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2009, 02:32:12 PM »
CE7, reading your posts is the highlight of my day.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Sqrt2

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2009, 04:31:53 PM »
I don't mind, as long as it doesn't get too out of hand... 
AA fanboy and proud!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2009, 09:37:54 PM »
CE7, reading your posts is the highlight of my day.

OH [darn]WOW I ONLY JUST GOT THAT JOKE LIKE TWELVE SECONDS AGO. I feel dumb now.

Plus it can't really be gotten anymore.

NEVER FORGET.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2009, 09:48:53 PM »
Is that emblem meant to represent some sort of neologism?

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2009, 11:14:50 PM »
As long as the jokes don't go too far, it's all good.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2009, 08:07:15 AM »
Is that emblem meant to represent some sort of neologism?
If by "neologism" you mean "homophobia" or "anti-rainbowism", then yes.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2009, 01:36:14 PM »
Racist humor is funny as satire, not funny as just baseless stereotypes. For example, I was watching a newer Family Guy episode and the Griffins become Jewish, and Peter becomes a mega-Jew, basically pointing out certain things that Jews do, and this is supposed to be funny. It had no social merit, it was pointing out nothing other than "Jews do this, isn't that funny?" and it kind of sickened me. This is opposite of the work of Spike Lee or Dave Chappelle or Mark Twain even, who use racism to criticize racism.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2009, 07:41:51 PM »
Racist humor is always funny, no matter what. Building on that, offensive humor is always funny. I believe no one should be off limits. Blacks, whites, gays, asians, poor people, babies, etc...
Singling out a certain group and saying NO IT'S NOT OKAY is just stupid and doesn't accomplish anything. Censorship just sweeps dust under the rug, rather than confronting it. I'm not defending racism, however, I also think it's stupid to attack someone for being racist.
Like for example, I have no problem walking in with a slice of watermelon and breaking out into Blackface-speech yelling OH LAWDY LAWDY SHO IS DA GOODEST MELLON I EVAH SAW because I know that's not how I truly feel about Black people. Hell, I go to college where white students are the minority, and it doesn't bother me. I just appreciate humor in all its forms.

I think a good summation of my stance would be the classic line of "I'm not racist, I hate everybody." Just because I believe every group of people has some stereotype or traits that can be made fun of.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2009, 07:53:28 PM »
That being said, the feelings of others should be respected first. As much as you're not serious about it, pulling off that Blackface routine in front of, say, an old woman whose children were killed in some KKK race-riot obviously wouldn't be tolerable.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2009, 09:59:31 PM »
Like for example, I have no problem walking in with a slice of watermelon and breaking out into Blackface-speech yelling OH LAWDY LAWDY SHO IS DA GOODEST MELLON I EVAH SAW
DO IT THEN
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2009, 10:21:54 PM »
I have one or two friends who are actual black dudes who aren't averse to doing something like that once in a while but I wouldn't do it myself and I think that's where your problems start, Meow.
Then again, they would only do it for the fact that such "comedy" exists is so terrible that it's funny in the first place.
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2009, 11:31:14 PM »
DO IT THEN

Actually it's an inside joke with my brother in law. We both love watermelon and during the summer at barbecues and stuff, if we have watermelon, it'll find its way into the conversation eventually. Of course, yes, like you said, respecting other people should come into it to. That's the thing about censorship. I know what's appropriate and what's not, and many of my friends/family with similar tastes in humor do the same. But if someone were to say "Shhh no that's offensive." without there anyone actually there to be offended, then it's just stupid.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2009, 01:54:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure that if someone were to walk in on the majority of conversations I have with my friends we'd all be seen as massively racist. We all rag on one dude for being black, we all rag on another being Italian-ish, and I get messed with for being a drunken Irishman.

Best part is I get n-word priveleges, at least around my buddies.
every

Print