Print

Author Topic: Sometimes Nintendo makes no sense...  (Read 14440 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2009, 12:46:29 AM »
You can't delete posts.
That was a joke.

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2009, 12:53:44 AM »
At least we don't seem to have much of a problem with burnout anymore. Except I have a minor case of it with my monitor. I have a flat-panel widescreen LCD monitor with Windows. The taskbar is always shown and I always have my windows maximized. Plus I use my computer a lot, so it rarely ever goes to screensaver. Result: There's a faint permanent line of discoloration near the top and bottom of the screen, right where the window title bar ends and where the taskbar ends. It's usually not enough to be noticeable, but it sucks seeing a line mar my wallpaper.

Applies in general to dead pixels and dust specks on the screen: 98% of the time you don't notice it. The other 2% you think there's a dot when there isn't, or you're wondering why a picture has a blemish on it until you move it.

By the way, I object to the Nintendo DS or PSP being called a "toy". It's too expensive to be a toy (in my own little world, a toy is something you play with for a while before tossing aside. Like some Game & Watch games). It's a portable entertainment device with a temporary lifespan.

I guess the solution to a double post or a post you don't want is to A. If it was posted within the last hour, edit it so it doesn't contain anything, or B. pretend it doesn't exist and hope no one will notice.

I was going to say ninja-edit until I remembered that means "edit it without anyone noticing" as opposed to "edit it at mach speed".
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:56:09 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2009, 01:16:57 AM »
Dead pixels are a fact of life on LCDs, just like questionable geometry was always an issue with CRTs. I have a dead pixel on my GBA but never once thought to return it since I know that the problem exists with the screen. Thankfully things have improved over time to the point where dead pixels are rare.

My current laptop has no dead pixels but my older laptop, which is nine years old, has two. They were there from the day I bought it brand new in 2000. However, it was a huge improvement over the days of old--my 1993 model PowerBook has five. My old Macintosh Classic may not have dead pixels even after nearly two decades, but CRTs have their own problems--I had to manually adjust the focus on it after about 13 years since it had come out of focus over time. (It still looks good, I must add--the machine works great and actually gets used now and then).

I remember when the old PowerBooks first came out. Apple had a policy where you needed to have something like eight dead pixels to even consider replacement. I'd imagine there is still a similar policy in place not only at Apple, but also at Nintendo, Dell, IBM, Sony, etc.

I'm going to say the DS is not a toy either. I'd classify it as a handheld electronic device much like the iPod Touch, except that its primary purpose is to play games, not music or videos.

Also, if there is a post that you can't delete, my recommended solution is to edit it and write <<erroneous post, please ignore>>.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2009, 07:06:07 AM »
If you edit your post within 60 seconds of posting it, it doesn't show up as an edit. Multiple times, even.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2009, 09:30:31 AM »
Okay, I get the idea with dead pixels. Regardless of how common they are, it just goes back to the point that it's dumb to design a system which has such a common flaw that locks software onto it. The only reason I went on that tangent was because people kept asking why I wanted to get a new DSi in the first place. Whether or not you think a dead pixel in the middle of your screen is merit enough to want a new one is your opinion, however don't tell me I'm unjustified in wanting to spend my money on a new one as opposed to spending almost as much for getting it repaired and not having it for several weeks.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2009, 03:27:05 PM »
You can't delete posts.
But you can make great bonfires with them.

I returned a red DS to Best Buy in part because it has two dead pixels.  I also didn't like how the red color made the screen look somehow different than my other DS.  BTW, the second DS was so my wife and I could both play while on cross country flights. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2009, 03:33:58 PM »
Would that be the second post-related pun you've made within the span of a month? Anyways, my DS, purchased in November of 2004, had two dead pixels right from the get-go. I have no intentions of doing away with it, but when the day comes, I've already got my sights set on a replacement.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2009, 03:53:24 PM »
It's probably been mentioned before, but I have what I believe is a "stuck" blue pixel on my DS Lite. Also, there's a calibration problem with the touch screen that I can't seem to fix and the bottom screen goes temporarily glitchy when I open it after closing the DS.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2009, 06:05:30 PM »
Luigison, getting a second DS for another person to use is a perfectly good reason to own two of a system. For the other potential reasons (having a backup system and trading Pokémon/whatever things in whatever game you play with a cross-cartridge trading system with yourself), you can just go buy a new one if the current one breaks (and spend the money then instead of now - and I mean when it breaks in the "broken hinge" or "what happened to Fifth's DS" sense of "broken" meaning "much harder to use at all") and you can borrow a friend's DS (unless you have no friends/friends with DSs), respectively.

Weegee, Luigison only comes to these forums anymore so he can make post puns when good opportunities for them arise.

ShadowBrian, there might be something wrong with the digitizer (which enables the touch part of the touchscreen), and depending on what you mean by "temporary," that screen-glitching might be normal (mine'll sometimes appear glitchy when I open it, and it'll flicker back to whatever it's supposed to be within that second).

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2009, 10:30:12 PM »
If you want to design a system without that flaw, use a CRT. Try lugging THAT around in your pocket.

Print