Print

Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 11509 times)

« on: January 25, 2012, 10:47:57 AM »
Do we not have a Wii U thread?  I scanned through the last couple pages, but the closest I could find was an old thread about Project Cafe speculation.  If this thread is redundant, please feel free to lock or delete it.  If not... let's talk about the Wii U!

Nintendo's new console is set to launch by the end of this year, which is exciting, but I can't help but be a little nervous about another rough Nintendo hardware launch.  Sure Nintendo says they learned from the 3DS launch, but the Wii U so far seems set for a similarly tough launch: http://shigeruslist.com/2012/01/24/wii-u-price-speculation-thankfully-remains-speculation/

Hopefully we'll see some confirmed software and really cool uses of that fun-looking controller at E3.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 01:11:36 PM »
I am a huge Nintendo fan, but I am just not as excited about the Wii U. The controller is ridiculous (did it really need a touch-screen controller), the Mario game looks stupid (did anybody really want Miis playable in their Mario games), and it'll probably be too expensive anyway (with other things to think about like family, finances and other such things, the Wii U really isn't a priority for me).

It's been surreal, but the Wii may be my last Nintendo console for a long time.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:00:34 PM »
I'm pretty excited about the Wii U, and even without a family to support, I super doubt I'll be able to afford this thing anywhere near launch.  I've had to cut way back on gaming to keep up with bills and stuff. 
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 03:25:18 PM »
I wish that Minecraft was not going to just be on Xbox. It would be awesome on Wii U. But if the Wii U is an Xbox 360 and a Wii duct taped together, then I am uninterested until the Wii is obsolete.

I was talking about Xbox,
And I was like, Wii U

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 03:27:18 PM »
No new Metroid, no sale for me.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 03:55:23 PM »
So far I'm most interested in Pikmin 3, Lego City Stories, and TLoZ.  As with the DS, GameCube, and 3DS, I might wait for a Mario game before I purchase the Wii U. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 04:20:55 PM »
I got high hopes for it (and ideas for what that controller could be used for, especially when you have more than one of 'em) but so far there's been nothing to see on it, so I got no reason to be excited, not yet. Well, except about the fact that Nintendo's finally moving up to HD, that makes me pretty happy

Before anyone goes on to talk about how there's only going to be support for one Wii U controller, I'm pretty sure that idea's been shut down. They're going to be expensive but the console can use more than one at a time, Nintendo's just worrying that players won't have access to more than one at a time. But they realize when two people have the system and one visits the other, they bring their own controller, so I don't think they'll be too stingy with multiplayer games that fully utilize the thing.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 04:58:54 PM »
Has anything been said regarding transferring Wii accounts, digital downloads, saves, etc. to Wii U? 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 09:01:03 PM »
Whoa, surprised to see nobody talking about the Nintendo Network announcement. It sounds like Nintendo is serious about stepping up and providing the Wii U with some of the cool online features the 360 and PS3 have: http://shigeruslist.com/2012/01/28/dont-be-a-jerk-check-out-the-nintendo-network/
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 11:07:24 PM »
Whoa, surprised to see nobody talking about the Nintendo Network announcement. It sounds like Nintendo is serious about stepping up and providing the Wii U with some of the cool online features the 360 and PS3 have: http://shigeruslist.com/2012/01/28/dont-be-a-jerk-check-out-the-nintendo-network/
I need to get a Wii U NOW!
Cloud storage+achievements+NINTENDO MAKING STUFF FREE BECAUSE THEY ARE NICE PEOPLE=Wii U, Xbox 360 and PlayStation.
(Also, I will make some sort of comment about "Wiing" the competition.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 11:02:59 AM »
My only fear here is that downloaded games will only be playable on the account that downloaded them.  So, if I purchase and download Kirby Wii U under my account my daughter won't be able to play it on her account. 

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 12:39:48 PM »
Why bother having separate accounts, then?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 03:51:01 PM »
Separate achievement tracking, separate cloud saves, et cetera.

That said, on Xbox LIVE, games aren't completely tied to the accounts they're purchased on, as long as they're downloaded using that profile logged in on the system you want to use it on (I'm probably explaining this part wrong). This is why I can play games I've purchased as WarpWrattler (main account) when logged in as Raiden mkIIBeta (Japanese account) or Princess Reco (UK account), and why I can use the DLC from Muchi Muchi Pork!/Pink Sweets and DoDonPachi Resurrection (a Japanese release and a European release, respectively) on my main account. It's also why I use gamerpics from the Japanese Puyo Puyo Fever on all three profiles.

PlayStation Network works a little differently there, but only on PSP (which is why I have Trophies in Flower despite not owning the game or a PS3); while on PS3 it works basically the same way as on 360, on a PSP you're required to be logged into the account a game was purchased on to play it. I'd guess this is due to the system being primarily offline.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 10:33:34 AM »
Miiverse isn't what I was expecting. It's pleasant to see a large community of gamers with anonymity to shield them, but who still aren't acting like entitled, unpleasable spoiled brats.

I've been posting lots of drawings on it.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 10:46:08 AM »
The Wii U so far has been a disappointment financially. No third party companies are making games for it, and if they so they are not providing perks like DLC. I attribute it to this: Nintendo makes so innovative consoles that no other company besides themselves can figure out what to do with them.
Now with grandeur.

Print