Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Maker  (Read 27731 times)

Sqrt2

« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2015, 12:10:17 PM »
I've got two more levels for you guys to try out:

Volcano Ghost House:  2CC6-0000-00DA-9CDE
Board Bowser's Battleship!: 6E97-0000-0127-CF73
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 03:51:49 AM by Sqrt2 »
AA fanboy and proud!

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2015, 11:52:28 PM »
Aw man, just checked and Shroom City got deleted from the server.

Anyone have any of theirs taken down?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2015, 02:35:53 PM »
The ghost house I posted here got deleted twice. The second time, I made it slightly easier (with a checkpoint flag), and someone even starred/completed it; it was still removed, again. I have no idea why.

I've seen some unconventionally hard levels stick around and get huge publicity, but my sort of difficult stage keeps getting deleted, no matter how I re-purpose it. I like the game and all, but that is pretty annoying.
I'm a horrible person.

Sqrt2

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2016, 03:54:41 AM »
I have some more courses for you guys to try out.

Taking back the castle  - B115-0000-0115-2700
Big Mario Bros. A82E-0000-0123-ACAC
Grass Land - 65CE-0000-0194-7047
AA fanboy and proud!

Sqrt2

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2016, 01:46:50 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but I have a new course that I'd like to share: Bowser's Last Stand - 8720-0000-01CB-0F2C

As usual, don' forget to comment and star if you like it.
AA fanboy and proud!

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2016, 04:26:23 PM »
So recently Nisekoi related things (2 stages and a skin) were added. Because obviously, when anime related things should go into Mario games, the best choice is a fanservice heavy waifu generator. Not something with immense popularity and a large background (like, say Dragon Ball, though honestly I wouldn't be mad if it never got in), because Mario needs more waifu material.
See you guys when the Monster Musume and High School DxD skins arrive.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2016, 05:20:36 PM »
Super Mario Maker is proof that people without programming experience cant make decent levels in a video game. All of these levels suck and you should all stop playing this.

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2016, 05:50:50 PM »
lol no

EDIT: Should have screencapped this "conversation."
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 11:35:40 PM by Bigluigifan1.0 »
I'm a horrible person.

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2016, 08:34:26 PM »
I see our newest member is full of edge.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2016, 09:12:58 PM »
Super Mario Maker is proof that people without programming experience cant make decent levels in a video game. All of these levels suck and you should all stop playing this.

Agreed. In fact, they should all kill themselves. Especially the children.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2016, 08:04:26 AM »
See you guys when the Monster Musume skins arrive.
That might actually get me to buy Super Mario Maker, though. That series is well above your average harem series, unlike, say, Nisekoi (which is also significantly more popular than you make it out to be, being a very successful Weekly Shonen Jump serial and all).

(Actually, it wouldn't get me to buy the game anyway. There's a kernel of truth to our banned friend's inflammatory comment above; while it has nothing to do with programming experience, making level design tools available to a wide audience makes a strong case for Sturgeon coming in a bit on the low side.)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2016, 12:27:02 AM »
I shouldn't have bought this.

Making a good level is hard. Choosing a theme is hard. showing the player what the theme is in a safe environment so they understand what's going on before you go to town with it is hard. Telegraphing hazards is hard. Pacing action and deciding when a mercy powerup is earned is hard. And there is no restraint that can stop me from doing it and doing it right even if it takes hours.

It helps, though, that I can't seem to remember I made the level I'm in after I hit play. I either really get Mario level design or I just know what works on me, because I fall for all my own manipulation tricks and get killed by bad design when I don't put those tricks in. In my most recent level, after the checkpoint, there is a pipe that produces Koopas because you need a shell, and I kept getting hit by the first one as it'd fall out until I put a 10-coin block to keep myself busy until after it did.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2016, 04:08:47 AM »
I'm running out of upload slots. Play my fairly balanced and well-playtested crap and gimme stars https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/ajollyskeleton?type=posted
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2016, 03:58:07 PM »
I just starred all of them. Sriracha and Best Friend were probably my favorites, but they were all really good and could definitely fit in a real Mario game.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2016, 09:46:27 AM »
I'll have to get the upload codes for my levels at some point!!

I actually have been writing Mario levels since before Mario Maker. A long time ago, back before kids occupied themselves with iPhones, we had to settle for our TI-83 Plus graphing calculators as entertainment in school. These calculators not only helped us survive Algebra and Calculus, but served as gaming devices. You could download simple games off the Internet to play on these things. They were cruder than the original GameBoy, but when it looks like you're doing your schoolwork and you're really shooting up bad guys, nothing else will do.

Someone made a Super Mario port for the TI-83, which happened to include an editor. Fifteen years ago, my freshman year of high school, we had these competitions in school to see who could make the hardest and best Mario levels. Looking back, I know why my Honors Biology grades could have been a little higher. I made some pretty good levels--and incidentally, the harder of those levels went unbeaten for a week until my friend who didn't even have a video game system beat it!! (This was WITHOUT help of her gamer boyfriend, who also made a decent level or two!)

When I got Mario Maker, I played around with it at first, then got my old TI-83 Plus out and started converting the levels to Mario Maker. They're still tough, but I do like to think they are well-made.

Anyone else on these forums a veteran of the TI-83 port?

I'm not even sure kids play games on those calculators anymore!! They have a color screen model out at long last (which is GREAT for figuring out which line you graphed--I actually teach math for a living and like the new model a lot) but if students are going to play a game, they usually do so on an iOS or Android device. Some of them are shocked when they find out we used to play games on our calculators (and no, I don't permit my students to do that during instruction and know EXACTLY what it looks like when you're gaming and not solving a problem).

Print