Print

Author Topic: E3 Thread: 2015 Edition  (Read 19714 times)

« on: May 18, 2015, 11:20:08 AM »
E3 is coming up, so I guess it's time to make the thread.

Predictions?

Mine are:
*New main Mario game
*SMAS 2, including everything from 64 to Galaxy 2 (both for SMB 30th anniversary)
*New Mario Kart DLC
*New Smash DLC
*Use for mysterious port on the bottom of the Gamepad

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 12:10:12 PM »
- Previously unannounced or otherwise unheard of Mario game

- HD remake of an N64 or GCN Mario game

- a new Mario Amiibo which does nothing that the old ones can't already
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 02:06:57 PM »
*SMAS 2, including everything from 64 to Galaxy 2 (both for SMB 30th anniversary)

Could that fit on one disc?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 03:08:20 PM »
If they're unaltered, then they could fit it since Wii games are 4.4 GB, GameCube games are 1.2 GB, and N64 games are small. Wii U games are 25 GB. (50 if the disc is dual layer) I should mention that it's not actually everything, just the main games that came out. This doesn't include NSMB, since I feel Mario Maker would cover that.

If they were to improve the graphics to Wii U quality like the original SMAS, then it might still fit, especially since so many resources would be shared amongst the games. (Mario, Bowser, Peach, enemies)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 07:16:50 AM »
Mario Kart 8 DLC, Smash Bros. DLC, Splatoon DLC, Yokai Watch, new Zelda trailer, Star Fox trailer (and maybe release date if it's still planned for 2015), Xenoblade X English trailer and release date, Fire Emblem if English trailer.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 11:56:50 AM »
Well I'll be.

Definitely something about Yoshi's Woolly World that dashes our hopes for a decent game against the cold, unforgiving rocks of reality.

Are Pokemon announcements ever made at E3, or usually separately?

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 07:10:57 PM »
It's been confirmed they aren't showing Zelda
I expect a Star Fox trailer, hopefully with release month
Probably some DLC stuff for Smash, Mario Kart 8, and Splatoon
Possibly a new 3D Mario...hopefully not Galaxy 3, since we got two in a row not too long ago
Relics.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 03:15:21 PM »
Metroid pls.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 09:48:51 PM »
When they make Sonic DLC for Mario Kart, I hope there's a Chemical Plant Zone track.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 11:34:04 PM »
When they make Sonic DLC for Mario Kart, I hope there's a Chemical Plant Zone track.
If they do this then they should also port over some tracks from SASRT changed to fit MK8.
Are Pokemon announcements ever made at E3, or usually separately?
I think that Pokémon games usually don't get announced at E3, but it seems more like a coincidence than anything since they really only get announced far from E3. (XY in January and ORAS in November off of the top of my head)

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 06:33:16 AM »
If that SMAS 2 was happening, they wouldn't have put digital SM64 and Galaxy 2 on Wii U this year.

I'll be waiting for the same thing I do every year: Space Channel 5 Part 3

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 08:30:46 PM »
Real Prediction:

Rhythm Tengoku: The Best Plus has a June 11 release date in Japan. There has still been no US announcement or mention of it in any Direct. Since it's a moderately popular series and not especially difficult to localize, this seems weird. I suspect it will be announced during the E3 Direct as a download-only "available right after this presentation".

CrossEyed7

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 09:04:51 PM »
http://tane.us/nintendo/

I got Donkey Kong Letter, Controlled Xylophone 2, and Metroid: Thirsty.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 10:54:19 PM »
We're finally getting The Legend of Zelda: Pleasant Corn.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 11:55:52 PM »
Bird Rectangle.

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 10:21:17 AM »
Star Fox Sailor and The Legend of Zelda: Combative Dorothy HD, as well as Metroid: English.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:23:03 AM by Tavros »
read jitsu wa watashi wa

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 06:03:38 PM »
[13:35:57] <%Skeleton> The Legend of Zelda: Hollow Link     3DS    Bill Trinen    Video OH [dukar]
[13:36:00] <%Skeleton> ZELDA SOULS!!!
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 10:19:18 PM »
So uh
I got New Super Mario Bros. 2
On the 3DS
What
read jitsu wa watashi wa

CrossEyed7

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 11:20:45 PM »
Pokémon PlasterboardPhilosophical / Pokémon HotPast

Kirby's Extra Uncle

The Legend of Zelda: Handsome Women

Kirby's Agreement Rabbi

and finally

Project Mario Bros. (Working Title) U... on the NX

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 12:46:20 AM »
Star Fox Philippines
Kirby's Excellent Market
Metroid: Zipper (Working Title)
The Legend of Zelda: Dolphin of Bra
The Legend of Zelda: Unique Sauce
Short Rat
Wii Male U

All sound good.
I'm a horrible person.

Sqrt2

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 06:34:16 PM »
*New main Mario game

I remember seeing an announcement that there will be no new Mario games at E3...

Anyway, my predictions are as follows:

- Starfox WiiU (which will be called Star Fox: Horizons - already leaked)
- An English trailer for Fire Emblem: If
- More news on Xenoblade Chronicles X
- More Smash Bros DLC unveiled/ News on Tournament Mode
- Hyrule Warriors 3DS (although to be fair, this has already been leaked)
- Retro Studios making an announcement of some kind
- Devil's Third
- Yoshi's Wooly World
AA fanboy and proud!

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 06:05:26 PM »
So then, boys and girls.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed by Nintendo's lineup. A combination of games we already knew about and spinoffs nobody was asking for.

Games I'm excited for: Super Mario Maker, Yoshi's Wooly World, Bravely Second, Chibi-Robo Amiibo plus free game
Games I expect to be disappointed by but will still get: Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 06:44:57 PM »
I might get a PS4 just for the FFVII remake.
Definitely getting Wooly World though.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 07:03:08 PM »
We may have already known about Super Mario Maker, but did anybody expect it to be this insane?

Also Star Fox.

Also also, I for one welcome Three Swords and Cartoony Metroid.

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 09:03:21 PM »
The trailer for Federation Force has a 91% dislike rate.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 09:48:23 PM »
MFW "Federation Force"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 03:21:44 PM »
What did they think was gonna happen? Did they think FF would satisfy people asking for a new Metroid? Well, why would it? It's something completely different wearing the name. Did they think it would make the Splatoon lightning strike a second time? Well, why would it? Splatoon instantly looked fun and had great character designs that fit the theme to boot, and this looks... really pretty boring and half-assed, like the game made itself on autopilot.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2015, 04:28:01 PM »
Man. When Mario plays tennis no one bats an eye but if Galactic Federation soldiers play soccer everybody freaks the **** out.

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2015, 04:49:35 PM »
It's Metroid. You can't have fun when you play Metroid.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2015, 05:11:51 PM »
Well, nah, I remember being ****ed during the GameCube era when Parties and sports spin-offs came out year after year and the only proper Mario titles were... well, not even Sunshine, I maintain Sunshine would've been much much better as its own new IP without Mario. So pretty much just Paper Mario 2 and Mario & Luigi. Metroid is in a similar position now, but more so. A history of long long dry spells, the last game was about an abusive relationship, and now this. And how do Metroid fans respond to it? If they buy it to show support for the franchise, would that be interpreted as support for this game in particular? If they don't buy it to show disapproval, Nintendo will probably conclude "welp, people just don't like Metroid anymore."

I've still only finished Metroid Prime 1, so I don't really care as much, but yeah, I understand why Metroid people are mad and think it's warranted (especially since I think the game itself looks boring and lifeless). What did they think was gonna happen?
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2015, 05:26:55 PM »
Man. When Mario plays tennis no one bats an eye but if Galactic Federation soldiers play soccer everybody freaks the **** out.

At least Mario's spinoffs feature identifiable Mario characters and locations. Federation Force is as much a Metroid game as it is a Mario or Zelda game. Plus, it just looks poor all-around. One of my favourite comments:

"Nice to see they're still making games for the DS"

CrossEyed7

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2015, 06:19:57 PM »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2015, 06:35:35 PM »
You don't really get the privilege of thinking like that... when your job depends on people liking what you've made enough, against all context, to want to buy it
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2015, 07:19:21 PM »
CrossEyed just reminded me: I hope this isn't the last we see of the Nintendo puppet pals.

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2015, 08:51:11 PM »
Reggie puppet is not allowed to dance until NOA publishes Rhythm Heaven: The Best Plus. Proven haters of music should not be depicted dancing in puppet form.

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2015, 10:48:32 PM »
Looks like they're on the floor:

Iwata's response when asked about US release of Rhythm Heaven: The Best Plus
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 10:50:10 PM by Lizard Dude »

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2015, 12:57:00 AM »
Looking at the neoGAF thread from immediately after the conference is making me LOL my butt off:

I invited a friend of mine who used to be a Nintendo fan to watch this with me. I felt like I was inviting her to see this mutual friend of us she doesn't hang out with nowadays, and I tried to rekindle the friendship, telling her he's a very cool, funny guy...and he shows up drunk out of his mind in his Mario themed underwear.

I think, I will never ever buy anything Nintendo again. And I have been a loyal fan up to the Wii.

You people remind me of a beaten housewife coming back for more again and again.

The party is over, people, go home.

I was literally shaking with anger during that conference. Tears formed in my eyes and my fists were clenched. "Announce something," I shrieked at my computer. My mom knocked on my bedroom door and had to ask if I was ok. Then, they started showing me a bunch of losers playing instruments dressed as Mario and I just turned it off. It was actually unbelievable.

Now, I'm 31 years old and this was, without a doubt, the worst conference I've ever seen in my life. It's clear that Nintendo is not just done with the Wii U but done with the company. There is no recovering from a conference that bad. They'll talk about the NX at next E3, but people will ignore it after remembering Blast Balls.

I loved this company and put my heart and soul into dedicating my gaming life to them. But now, I have nothing. I'm an empty shell.

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2015, 01:22:08 AM »
That last one deserves a Tony Award.

From YouTube:

Animal Crossing could only look on in horror as Metroid fell to the ground, crumpled in a bloody heap. Nintendo turned toward the former, calmly loading two more shells into the shotgun it held, then asked "So, do you like board games?"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2015, 01:48:55 AM »
Nothing to really be upset about... good games come out all the time, more good games than anyone could ever play exist and are readily available... and often for less than new console games sell for...

I'm saying I have a huge backlog on Steam alone. If very little Nintendo is making looks appealing, that's nothing to throw a fit about. You can disapprove and explain why, but you're not a victim. Just play something else.
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2015, 09:28:37 AM »
Not keeping up with the livestreams (or Muppets) by the second probably cushioned the blow, but I didn't feel like this was *that* disappointing of a show. I mean, don't get me wrong, Three Swords and Animal Crossing Whatever might as well be pieces of cardboard with "obligatory 'social' spinoff" written on the front, and FF has the reek of a B-side IP concept getting transfused into a dying franchise, but it's not, say, E3 2008-level unspeakable. Star Fox Zero looks promising, I'm reserving judgment on Mario Maker, and Paper Jam should be great so long as it leans more toward Dream Team than Sticker Star.

But cards on the table, Sony was killin' it for the first time in recent memory.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2015, 09:36:23 AM »
I really don't understand why people hated Nintendo's conference. It was more disappointing than anything, and sometimes I don't even think it was that.
Also Triforce Heroes is better than Four Swords, because at least you don't NEED to have any nearby friends, and possibly any friends in general. Weegee is in luck.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2015, 10:40:49 AM »
What did they think was gonna happen? Did they think FF would satisfy people asking for a new Metroid? Well, why would it? It's something completely different wearing the name. Did they think it would make the Splatoon lightning strike a second time? Well, why would it? Splatoon instantly looked fun and had great character designs that fit the theme to boot, and this looks... really pretty boring and half-assed, like the game made itself on autopilot.
It's also worth noting that Splatoon has the luxury of being a brand-new IP with freedom to look and feel however it wants.  With FF, it's not even so much an issue of the quality of the game itself (which is still in development), and more that they developed a generic co-op shooter in space and then decided to slap on a Metroid sticker due to the power of branding

I maintain Sunshine would've been much much better as its own new IP without Mario.
Exactly, just replace "Sunshine" with "FF" and "Mario" with Metroid.

People joke about how they'd rather have Other M than this, but I think there's some validity to that sentiment.  There were a lot of things about it that infamously did not work, but visually it was very good and atmospherically (aside from the soundtrack's thing it did where it forgot to exist) it still did.  Sure, there are brighter counterparts to the grim and grit of the likes of Super Metroid, but even the brightest Metroid titles knew that it was about being heroic, not generically goofy.  The thing about adapting Mario to play sports, or even doing a 180 on the Zelda aesthetic in Wind Waker following OoT, is that those franchises have always been oriented toward a good degree of whimsy (OoT was actually the exception to this at the time, and that's when it didn't still follow the same rules).  And that's not bad!  In fact, it's a desperately needed influence in this decade's video game industry.  But Metroid has always been a bit different.  Alien, if you will.  It had subtle and consistent characterization.  It had continuity and an established chronology, something that Zelda fans were still dreaming of until well after Metroid had lived and died under the weight of those things.  Super Metroid provided the "Metroid" years ahead of SotN's providing the "vania" - could anyone even imagine a first party Nintendo game's being even remotely comparable to SotN in today's market?

It's Metroid. You can't have fun when you play Metroid.
But I think this is really the root ideology behind this game that's made people so angry: "fun" is always cartoony and silly.  It's almost an equal and opposite to the idea that you can't take a game seriously unless it's a FPS as brown as dog poop.  Like somehow people who prefer dark or deep games, or people who play games competitively, just have less appreciation for "fun."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2015, 11:51:22 AM »
Exactly, just replace "Sunshine" with "FF" and "Mario" with Metroid.

Not exactly, because Sunshine's problem is that it can't decide whether it wants to be a follow-up to SM64 or something new, and fails at both.
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2015, 01:19:41 PM »
That's fair; FF has already decided it definitely doesn't want anything to do with Metroid in any way.

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2015, 03:51:32 PM »

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2015, 04:37:48 PM »
It it wasn't Metroid branded I think more people would like it. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2015, 06:40:11 PM »
This. If it was just called Federation Force the response would be more mixed than negative.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2015, 07:08:40 PM »
I wonder if people were this vocal when Mario spin-offs started coming out of the woodwork.
I'm a horrible person.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
They were.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2015, 09:02:12 PM »
Reggie likens the reaction to MP:FF to the initial reaction to Wind Waker's visual style.

I hope Wind Waker isn't going to be Nintendo's card every time a game looks bad from the outset. You can't say "you're acting just like back then" because the circumstances surrounding each are not the same.

I'd go into more detail but as much as I care about Zelda and think good things about Wind Waker and suspect Twilight Princess is a rebuttal to the Wind Waker backlash, I just don't care enough about Mario Paint Freedom Fighters. I don't care enough that Samus isn't in it or the graphics are a joke or that it's not a Metroid adventure because it just... looks... boring. If a game just looks not worth the time to play it, anything else is irrelevant.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 09:04:50 PM by BP »
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2015, 09:48:44 PM »
It would be a more valid comparison if WW didn't feature Link or Zelda.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2015, 10:01:46 PM »
Didn't he also try to say that the reaction to Mr. Peepers' Federation Force was the same as the reaction to Splatoon last year?

Look, we know that the fans want a straight Samus Aran game. We also know that the best way to launch a game like that is to surprise and delight them, to give them a launch date, in an environment like this let them play it vs. what other companies do which is to announce a project that you may not see for five, six years. It’s just not the way we do things. We know the community wants to see a straight-up Metroid game. We know it.
I mean, at least Reggie didn't murder a Metroid fan with his laser eyes, so there's that.

Also, "we don't want to announce games until we know they're going to release within a year" he says as Nintendo announces the Zelda game for every console years in advance and then delays it.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2015, 09:26:27 AM »
It would be a more valid comparison if WW didn't feature Link or Zelda.
It also wouldn't have been an issue if Metroid as a series had spent a good chunk of its existence with the cartoony style.  Wind Waker really wasn't all that revolutionary if you look at the style of ALttP or the very first game.  There's also the issue with WW that part of the backlash was due to being shown a demo of a much different project early on.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2015, 09:48:52 AM »
Reggie likens the reaction to MP:FF to the initial reaction to Wind Waker's visual style.

I hope Wind Waker isn't going to be Nintendo's card every time a game looks bad from the outset. You can't say "you're acting just like back then" because the circumstances surrounding each are not the same.
Yeah, apples to oranges of the highest degree. Wind Waker definitely looked risky at the time, but (1) Nintendo was still pushing it as a legit Zelda game, (2) it didn't come on the heels of one horribly-received game, borrowing the name of another critically-acclaimed sub-series that hadn't seen a new entry in eight years.

Also, "we don't want to announce games until we know they're going to release within a year" he says as Nintendo announces the Zelda game for every console years in advance and then delays it.
Yeah... how long has that been a thing, and why?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2015, 07:26:20 PM »
Remember, it could always be worse:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbtlrKlQRU" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbtlrKlQRU</a>

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2015, 01:04:48 AM »
THIS IS A WII U GAME

IN 4:3 ASPECT RATIO

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2015, 01:20:15 AM »
Apparently that was the iOS version, but it doesn't bode well for the console release.

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2015, 03:01:06 AM »
I in no way care about "the Metroid issue" but that Reggie spiel is pure unfiltered grade-A steaming bull[dukar].

Xenoblade Chronicles X and Yoshi's Wooly World and Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, hmm, where have I seen those hot E3 games before...

Oh that's right THE NINTENDO DIRECT FROM JANUARY 2013

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2015, 03:36:16 AM »
SSB4 was also technically announced in 2012 as a "We'll do it sometime" thing, much like Zelda U when explaining why they made WWHD

Print