Print

Author Topic: Anybody prefer SSB over SSBM?  (Read 11443 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2007, 10:58:28 AM »
Tch, you all blame the CHARACTER for being weak. Wahahahaa.

I didn't blame anyone. I acknowledged the fact that developing team couldn't make every single character completely balanced.

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2007, 03:47:59 PM »
But I'm Kirby all the time, and I always seem to whup characters like Bowser (who's super strong) and Fox (who's fast). It doesn't matter if they're unbalanced, if you get good enough with a character, you can beat everyone.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2007, 05:22:54 PM »
I either read through this thread too quickly, or no one has mentioned SSB's individual combatant entry animations yet!  That is one thing that absolutely needs to be brought back.  Its absence from Melee was one of the only things that disappointed me.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2007, 05:35:17 PM »
Eh..........they're not so important that it makes SSB better than SSBM. In fact, I didn't really care........

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2007, 05:41:11 PM »
But I'm Kirby all the time, and I always seem to whup characters like Bowser (who's super strong) and Fox (who's fast). It doesn't matter if they're unbalanced, if you get good enough with a character, you can beat everyone.

Er, CPU or an actual other player? Because playing against the CPU is a bad thing to judge actual skill on, especially if it's low-level. If you were playing against an actual person, then they just aren't as good as you.

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2007, 05:52:57 PM »
First of all, level 9 (I haven't played on a level lower in forever). 2nd, yes, I have played other players. Are you trying to say Kirby is a bad character? Because I always thought of him as one of the best.

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2007, 06:37:14 PM »
I either read through this thread too quickly, or no one has mentioned SSB's individual combatant entry animations yet!  That is one thing that absolutely needs to be brought back.  Its absence from Melee was one of the only things that disappointed me.

It dissapointed me, too. I was hoping to see more of those, but instead all we got was the generic "character trophies turning real" thing, which was cool the first dozen times..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2007, 08:31:28 PM »
First of all, level 9 (I haven't played on a level lower in forever). 2nd, yes, I have played other players. Are you trying to say Kirby is a bad character? Because I always thought of him as one of the best.

Even Level 9 is cake for a good player. The CPU's stupidity is near infinite. Apparently you didn't read my posts when I said that the characters are not completely balanced. Kirby is one of the ones who suffers from this.

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2007, 08:41:53 PM »
Ugh. And I'm saying that even if he isn't totally balanced, he's still an awesome fighter with jumping and copy ability. The characters aren't supposed to be balanced. While Kirby is not the strongest nor fastest, his jumping ability makes up for them.

You know, I'd stop arguing with you, but after that uncalled for chicken comment towards Glorb, I'm not so sure I should. So he suffers from unbalanced stats. He's still a great fighter.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 08:44:39 PM by PaperLuigi »

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2007, 09:26:26 PM »
Hm, I've always sort of rated the characters on the terms "ease of use" and "advancement potential".  Kirby, in my opinion, is one of the easiest characters to use, and a good choice for beginners.  But the potential isn't there; he just can't cut it when you try to play him seriously.  This has been true in both games.

As for the differences between the games... I appreciate SSB for what it was and what it began, but SSBM is just superior in nearly every way.   I'd played SSB again recently, and in comparison it's just so slow, the movements are much more constricted, the characters are much more imbalanced (not to mention the items)... There are certainly things that I've missed from the original, but Melee is just such an improvement; there's no going back.
Go Moon!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2007, 12:15:07 PM »
Ugh. And I'm saying that even if he isn't totally balanced, he's still an awesome fighter with jumping and copy ability. The characters aren't supposed to be balanced. While Kirby is not the strongest nor fastest, his jumping ability makes up for them.

You know, I'd stop arguing with you, but after that uncalled for chicken comment towards Glorb, I'm not so sure I should. So he suffers from unbalanced stats. He's still a great fighter.

Two moves aren't enough to make a character "awesome" in terms of serious gameplay. Listen to what Fifth said.

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2007, 04:02:02 PM »
First of all, Fifth posted after me, which means there was no possible way I could listen to what he said. 2nd, Kirby has other stats that make him a good fighter. He doesn't just have 2 moves. The rock attack is great because in multi-player mode, it's easy to clear out close combat. Same goes for the hammer. Pure strength and speed are not needed to defeat an opponent. Kirby is still a great character even though his stats are unbalanced.

I guess this onky applies to me, since I've trained with Kirby and made him my best character. Even though I trained with Mario or someone else for just as long, Kirby is still my best because I know how to use his moves and strategy at the same time.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 04:04:01 PM by PaperLuigi »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2007, 04:36:04 PM »
I meant for you to listen after he posted, Mr.Technical.

Kirby might be your best character, and all those strategies you mentioned might work for you in matches against Lv.9 CPU players, but in a serious match, you may not make it. The problem here is that you're pitting your opinion against raw facts. Whether Kirby is your best character or not won't change his shortcomings.

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
I've been in plenty of serious matches to know that Kirby is a great character. How would you know if I lost in a so-called "serious" match or not?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2007, 04:54:22 PM »
Describe these serious matched you speak of, then.

Print