Print

Author Topic: Not Really Video Games...but Games Nonetheless  (Read 12730 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2008, 01:33:55 AM »
Lego Island was pretty great. I need to figure out how to rip the soundtrack off my copy one of these days.
That was a joke.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2008, 02:09:07 AM »
Oregon Trail/Number Munchers <3

Also I remember this game where you ran around a maze and there were gates in the way and you had to solve math problems to open the gates and the puzzles got more complex as the game went on, I forgot the name of this one though.

Also I remember finding ways to cheat games, I remember one in particular where you had to press "s" if the words were synonyms and "a" if the words were antonyms, you got a set time but were not penalized for wrong answers in any way so I'm jam on the A and S keys as fast as possible and get scores like 6 times higher than anyone else. Fun.
~I.S.~

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 02:47:29 AM »
Oregon Trail rocked, but I never saw the version seen in the screenshot.

There was something on Mac where you could create storyboards or comics or whatever. It was awesome.
Oh dear lord, memories of "Fine Artist" and "Creative Writer" on Windows... what in blazes ever happened to McZee anyway?

Number Munchers was a favorite of mine. I drew a fanart of Muncher once. Thought he was the coolest thing.

There was some game where you're sailing the Amazon River, trying to spear fish. Looked revolutionary.

Super Solvers: Gizmos and Gadgets was THE game for me. 90% of the time I had no clue what I was doing, I was just trying different combinations until I built a vehicle that worked. For the life of me I can't find a copy online that I don't have to jump through hoops for. Video of Gizmos and Gadgets: http://youtube.com/watch?v=yRkl2Ek03A0
I remember there was also another game in the Super Solver series where you went to Egypt or something, retrieving priceless artifacts and assembling them back together, like the Sphinx. I remember the manual had black-and-white pictures of all the artifacts.

Lego Creator... CD game... I played that a few times. Great fun, used to create race tracks so I could race around in first-person view. Then I'd blow stuff up. But at some point the game stopped working, where it'd always freeze at the load screen. You remember the load screen: the wizard dude juggles blocks for ages.

And then there was some animated storybook program, featuring characters from some popular book series back then (character looked like a hedgehog or something. No, not Sonic). Instead of watching the story, everybody was interested in seeing all the possible animations. Then I'd scream whenever they forgot an animation, no matter how petty it was. I believe those animated storybooks also had an icon of a running man whenever the next scene was loading.

KidDesk. 'Nuff said. I spent more time customizing my workspace than using the thing.

I think I played Reader Rabbit... I'm sure of it. I don't remember being wowed by it though. I'm surprised that darn series is still around. Actually, I'm surprised that Mavis Beacon is at version 22 now. They're very secretive. I swear every time I'm aware of a new Mavis Beacon title, they skip two or three numbers. You can't find any information about some of the versions. And I can't fathom how it can improve much past version 9.
You didn't say wot wot.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2008, 06:22:33 AM »
I loved Gizmos and Gadgets. It was on the computers in my elementary school's computer lab, and I played it all the time when I went in there. Also, I have a copy of it on CD in this desk somewhere...

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2008, 06:34:47 AM »
In elementary school, we had a bunch of old pre-mac Apple computers. They may have been Apple II's. I liked number munchers alot.

And when playing Oregon Trail, several people liked to name the characters after our teachers, so when they died, it would have the teacher's name on the grave.

I had this game called Spiderman Cartoon Maker.  Man I had such great times making cartoons about various things.  I think it was that game that taught me how to come up with plots.
I had that game too. It was pretty cool. I also figured out how to add your own characters and backgrounds to it, which made it even better.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2008, 10:04:25 AM »
Reading Rabbit was fun, but I liked Math Rabbit even more. The whole game was set around a carnival and whenever you did good in the number-related games, you'd get a ticket, and had to save them up for buying prizes, etc.

I remember getting a deluxe version for my own computer from the library later on.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2008, 12:02:30 PM »
Speaking of math games, I loved Treasure Math Storm and Math Galaxy (maybe?). It was such a simple game, but it made me proficient at simple arithmetic and problem solving. Those games were made by the Learning Company, the same company that made Reader Rabbit.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2008, 12:22:30 PM »
The Learning Company also made something called Pokémon Project Studio. I happen to have the red version on my compy to this day. XD I used to use it all the time, but lately I just use it for backgrounds.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2008, 02:14:20 PM »
Lego Island was pretty great. I need to figure out how to rip the soundtrack off my copy one of these days.

Now that you bring that up, I'd like to obtain the soundtrack too. It was awesome.
Ditto used Machop!

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
There was some game where you're sailing the Amazon River, trying to spear fish. Looked revolutionary.
Welp, you have restored yet more memories of mine that were previously completely unreachable.

-Lizard Dude

Jman

• Score
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2008, 09:50:24 AM »
Anyone remember Opening Night?  It was this game where you could make plays with your own plots and dialog.  It was supposed to serve a purpose as a great mind builder, however, me and my friend just made a bunch of random plays where he would add some dirty words and such. 
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2008, 10:46:55 AM »
I had a lot of fun with Microsoft's 3D Movie Maker. I need to figure out how to put those movies into a more portable format.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2008, 01:37:56 PM »
I remeber 3D Movie Maker. That was my Garry's Mod before Garry's Mod.
every

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2008, 10:21:21 PM »
Nah, the best movie maker of them all was Fantavision. Before I had a Mac LC I had an Apple IIe and Fantavision is the best movie-making/animation software out there for it.

I think the program is ©1985, so it's probably the grandaddy of that Microsoft one!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2008, 11:38:15 PM »
It doesn't occur to you that something developed 10 years later is going to be technologically superior?
P.S. Who said anything about the best?
That was a joke.

Print