Print

Author Topic: can it be fixed  (Read 8535 times)

« on: March 16, 2008, 02:20:58 PM »
my mac note book fell on the floor the other day and now it will not boot up it just shows the loading disk when i turn it on.
its not even a year old but mac say it is not covered because it fell on the floor.
i called a laptop repair shop but they said it will cost £40 just to take a look at it and the bloke said they are very costly and hard to fix.

is this true would it be cheaper to buy a new mac than to get it repaired. queeny 

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 02:25:37 PM »
Are you sure it's a hardware problem, anyway? Sounds to me like something happened with the hard drive and the OS got deleted or corrupted.

Run the Apple Hardware Test (it's on one of the CDs that came with your Mac when you bought it) and tell us the results.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 02:30:53 PM »
i got two disks with it. mac os install disc 1 / 2. i will try them and see what happens. it can not do no harm. thanks   

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 02:35:50 PM »
no luck. i could hear the disk being read but the screen just stayed the same it was worth ago.
its a bit funny the fact i can put in disks and eject them. 

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 02:52:07 PM »
Try it again with the first install disk. Put in the disk, restart, and hold down D as it starts.  (Or whatever else the disk says on it to run AHT--if it doesn't say anything, it's most likely D.)
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 03:20:43 PM »
The computer may be able to be fixed, but I'm not so sure that your grammar can...
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 03:29:56 PM »
What you need is a non-Apple piece of hardware.
That was a joke.

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 04:19:50 PM »
Chup really needs to shut up right now.

Max: I recall the command for forcing a mac to read a disc during startup was the C key.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 04:29:35 PM by Vidgmchtr »
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 07:16:52 PM »
my mac note book fell on the floor the other day
Computers/Notebooks/etc. falling on the floor at altitudes more than 5 feet are more than likely death to the system.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 09:18:14 PM »
Max: I recall the command for forcing a mac to read a disc during startup was the C key.
Normally yes, but running the Apple Hardware Test is different.

What you need is a non-Apple piece of hardware.
And how would this help protect from falls? Unless queeny were to buy one of those armored laptops (for use in factories, construction sites, etc.), a good impact could break any brand.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 10:07:32 PM »
I dunno, my IBM (now lenovo) laptop is made of titanium and has a has a shock sensor to protect the hard drive.  And that's standard.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 11:23:22 PM »
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty much any other computer is going to be cheaper and easier to fix than an Apple laptop. Maybe not in the hard drive department though.
That was a joke.

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 03:32:13 AM »
well thanks for your help anyway.
I called the insurance and they said it is covered under accidental damages which is cool.
i do not have to even give them the broken mac, they are just giving me the money for a new one.
i think i will try and get the other one fixed and sell it or just see what i can get for it broken. 

does anyone have any idea how much you would get for a mac 8 months old broken or working?
its a white notbook os and its got a camera built in to it cost 1200 new.

thanks queeny 

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 02:28:34 PM »
You're welcome, Vidgmchtr.

We're glad to help.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 10:29:22 PM »
If it were one of those old orange iBooks I could see durability being higher...those things are TOUGH. My new MacBook feels well built but not as heavy duty as the old orange one.

Computers in general seem sort of weak today. I have a couple of desktop computers as well--an old Windows 95 IBM, a Mac LC (in its box, this one's from when I was little), this old-school Mac SE that my dad had and gave to me (it's the kind with the black and white monitor and the little disk drive--I actually used it to keep track of baseball stats for a while), and this really old Toshiba computer from my grandpa that runs DOS. All of those look pretty well built, especially that IBM. (I still use the IBM sometimes since I have Excel on it).

At work we have these H.P. computers. They don't seem as bad as the Dells I see at the library though. Those Dell computers always seem to have plastic parts missing from them. The H.P. keyboard feels pretty flimsy though. My grandpa has a pretty recent IBM computer but I think I read in the paper that IBM isn't making computers anymore?

I have always used a laptop case with my computers. They've rolled all over my car and everything and nothing's ever been hurt.

Print