Print

Author Topic: Wii Fit: Brilliant idea or retarded gimmick?  (Read 13905 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 12:38:25 PM »
I'm not meaning this from any sort of moral perspective, I'm talking about it's an old NES game that none of us know much about and like so many old NES games I wonder if it's actually fun.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 08:23:05 PM »
I don't understand why everyone is hating the direction Nintendo takes in their games. WAH it's Apple white, WAH it can use Miis, WAH I'd rather use my GameCube controller, WAH, WAH, WAH. People are so preoccupied with maintaining a "hardcore pr0-gamer" image that they never give anything new or slightly "out there" a chance.
I actually don't see anything wrong with the whole "white" thing, even if they copied it because they knew it was a great way to get the masses' attention. Heck, I like it! Dust and scratches are less visible!

This is the same as "Why buy a Wii when you can buy a racket and a tennis ball for $10? Or why get Brawl when you and a friend could fight each other for free? Or Mario Kart when you could actually drag race?" Know why you buy it? Because it's fun!
This is a statement I've been waiting for someone to make. Multiple times, as I may have mentioned before on another thread, I've "sat down with myself", so to speak, and asked myself a simple question related to something that's been irking me about Nintendo: "Why, exactly, does this annoy me? In the end, what do I want from a game?" When considering the issue currently at hand, it came to me: If it's feasible in "real life" (or at least reasonably priced), I haven't got much of an inclination to do it in a game. Throwing living explosives at a giant turtle in Smash Bros. games? Sign me up. Killing undead creatures and using magic in the Zelda series? Sure, why not? Heck, even living in a town full of bipedal animals in Animal Crossing is great. And, I don't like Nintendogs, but I can totally understand how someone who can't afford, either monetarily or psychologically, a dog would love it. And I respect that!

But doing sudoku and crosswords, stuff that costs five bucks, tops, if you buy it at the impulse rack at the supermarket? Budget titles based on French books and Japanese neurological thesis (and from Nintendo, who normally used to not make a whole lot of licensed games, no less)? Yoga? Buy it if you want, I won't stop you--I just can't get over the feeling that I'm slowly becoming part of a new demographic: The people who stopped playing games not because they got too complicated, but because they weren't. Pander to that audience, Big N!

And like I've said before, I've never considered myself hardcore--I just got re-labeled that because I like games that were made before the DS came out.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 05:32:51 AM »
I just can't get over the feeling that I'm slowly becoming part of a new demographic: The people who stopped playing games not because they got too complicated, but because they weren't.
Pssst, hey man. Over here. But keep it down.

Leave Nintendo! There's a whole hardcore world out there.
Now go away. People are starting to look.

Wii Play rules!!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 06:24:48 AM »
Wii Play is a collection of tiny nongames that are entertaining for a total of five minutes, designed to dupe the average consumer into buying a fake "game" with their new Wii remote, and has led to the Wii's stereotype as a system to put crappy shovelware minigame collections!!

Fixed.
every

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 08:16:04 AM »
Hey. Unlike most mini game collections, it is worth the $10. I've played it for hours on end.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2008, 08:34:28 AM »
That would never have sold as much if it didn't come with a remote. I mean, God, isn't it the best-selling game on the Wii? Oh, and I think "Tanks"--and maybe "Air Hockey"--are the only things I've voluntarily replayed.

Leave Nintendo! There's a whole hardcore world out there.
Not at the rate that the industry is copying them.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 08:44:24 AM »
I think it's funny how software sales apply selectively to games. Halo 3 sold a fajillion copies? Whatever, game sales don't dictate quality. Wii Play sold a fajillion copies? That's because it's teh best game evar!!

Consumer logic goes like this:

Useful product by itself for X monies - Maybe I'll buy it
Useful product bundled with extra, useless crap for X monies plus 10 monies  - Must buy! I'm getting more stuff, right?

That's why Wii Fit is selling so well.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
Did you even understand Lizard Dude's post?
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 11:12:59 AM »
Perhaps not.
every

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 11:37:08 AM »
I bought Wii Play for the extra controller.  I bought the Wii Zapper for Link's Crossbow Training.  Both are better with Nyko's Perfect Shot.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 01:58:49 PM »
ShadowBrain, what exactly do you want? A new Mario platformer? We only ever get one of those per console. A Zelda game? Supposedly one is on its way, but even if not, we did get Twilight Princess. A new addition to the grand Super Smash Bros. series? Wake up. A new Mario sidescroller packed with references to old games that your grandfather hasn't played? Super Paper Mario. A new Metroid Prime? That's Metroid Prime 3. Kirby? He seems to prefer hanging out on the DS, and there's plenty of him there. An F-Zero with an improved version of the Garage Mode featured in GX and Wi-Fi? Me too!

But hey, I don't even have any non-big-name games of the Wii. I'm just a jobless teenager. What I'm saying is, we're getting all the traditional stuff in just about the same quantity with the same quality as expected. Nintendo is just advertising the new things like Wii Fit more because they don't have to advertise Brawl. One trailer and it captures the hearts and money of millions.

Yet, you still go on and on about how Nintendo "caters" to casual gamers. You go on about games you don't like, but never say anything about what you do want.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 05:58:00 PM »
There may be a Kirby game in development for the Wii. Looks like it was planned for Gamecube, but befell the same fate as Super Paper Mario.

Also, I think there'll be at least one new Pokemon game out for the Wii, and Animal Crossing seems quite likely as well. New Wario Land is set to come out, and I can't see Wii without a Star Fox game. So, I guess there could still be more to come.

(And Sonic Unleashed too if you want to count that, though I'm sure if you do there'll be a lot more I've missed)
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 10:31:14 AM »
ShadowBrain, what exactly do you want? A new Mario platformer? We only ever get one of those per console. A Zelda game? Supposedly one is on its way, but even if not, we did get Twilight Princess. A new addition to the grand Super Smash Bros. series? Wake up. A new Mario sidescroller packed with references to old games that your grandfather hasn't played? Super Paper Mario. A new Metroid Prime? That's Metroid Prime 3. Kirby? He seems to prefer hanging out on the DS, and there's plenty of him there. An F-Zero with an improved version of the Garage Mode featured in GX and Wi-Fi? Me too!

Okay, most of that was a crappy argument. Just because Nintendo is lazy and doesn't make a "real" Mario or Zelda game until a new console comes out isn't a legitimate reason for saying those aren't reasonable requests.

"I want an iPod."
"Well too bad! You haven't gotten one in five years! You never will! What a dumb thing to want!"
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 10:32:46 AM »
How the heck does wanting an iPod compare to wanting multiple 5-year development projects of the same old games over a 6-year console lifespan?
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 01:56:06 PM »
I'm not saying I wouldn't like another Zelda game or another Mario platformer. I'm saying we're getting the traditional stuff at the same rate as usual. My GameCube and Wii collections look fairly similar, and could look even more so. No one's forcing me to buy anything I don't want to play.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print