Print

Author Topic: Are any of you... pokemon masters?  (Read 19451 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2008, 02:02:40 PM »
See CrossEyed7's sig.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2008, 12:24:43 PM »
I love to play Pokemon. (The anime was ruined) I don't think I could be called a "Master," though, I kinda suck. I can breeze through the games easily, but when I face other people I always seem to get my butt kicked.
No image sigs? =(

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2008, 06:02:49 AM »
Thanks to Serebii.net and their Pokemon of the Week articles that only seem to focus on competitive battling...

Serebii's battlers:  First, I'll use nasty plot, so I can hit you harder with my Porygon-Z's relentlessly trained Special Attack.  Then I'll use agility, so it'll be faster.  Then I'll eat a cheeseburger because I'm hungry.  Then I'll use Baton Pass to confuse you.  Then I'll...etc.

Me:  Lucario!  Use Aura Sphere!  *One-hit-KOs Porygon-Z*

Yeah... IMO, Serebii waaaaaaaaaay over-think their battle strategies.

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2008, 06:40:12 AM »
I tried to learn what EVs and IVs are, but, due to my low attention span, I got bored and played a game instead.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2008, 07:02:22 AM »
I didn't know much about that until Suffix brought it up. It's simple--you fight a lot of the same thing over and over, and the stat or stats it represents goes up. Everything has specific EVs to give. For speed, beat a lot of Zubat and Golbat. For attack power, beat a lot of Carvanha.
There's a limit of 510 total EVs with any individual one capping at 255, so don't bother with stats you won't need. Say, I wanted a Politoed with Surf, Psychic, Ice Beam and Rain Dance. I would completely avoid having it fight things that yield attack EVs because the stat is utterly useless. That way, its other stats could be higher. And... I do in fact have a pretty durable Politoed like that.
IVs I still don't know, but I think it's something you can't really control.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2008, 01:54:29 PM »
I'm fairly certain the cap for the total amount of EVs of any category is 255-- meaning that if you train in one area a ton and reach 255, you won't be able to train in another area.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2008, 02:00:48 PM »
Not according to this article here.
It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2008, 02:11:55 PM »
Wow! This changes a lot for me!

Thanks for that.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2008, 12:45:53 PM »
Me too; I didn't even know about the power accessories...

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2008, 01:11:49 PM »
If you haven't played them, how do you know they're worse?

I played them for like an hour.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2008, 05:44:32 AM »
That's like reading the first two chapters of a book and then writing a negative review for the whole thing...

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2008, 06:48:31 AM »
Unfortunately, that's what a lot of people do.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2008, 07:50:42 PM »
I tried to learn what EVs and IVs are, but, due to my low attention span, I got bored and played a game instead.

That's exactly the reason that I hate them. It completely ruins and sucks out the fun factor.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2008, 08:01:10 PM »
I hate how unless you have Pokerus-infected Pokemon, a Macho Brace, and know exactly which Pokemon give which EVs, your Pokemon can't reach their maximum battling potential.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2008, 08:16:47 PM »
Pokérus: I actually did get that in Ruby. No hacking or Action Replay. Sorry I can't help you here--I got lucky.
Macho Brace: Big deal, those are easy to get.
Knowing which Pokémon give what EVs

So for two out of three, you're all set. If you're playing Emerald or a Generation IV game you can use those berries to lower EVs of stats you don't want (example, you have something with all Special moves, you don't need the Attack stat to be any higher than minimum) to free up points to go to other stats. Once you hit level 100, though you're out of luck. That's why you've got to earn the points fighting weak things that won't give a lot of experience.
It's YOUR problem!

Print