Print

Author Topic: Your Favorite "Big Collection of Games" games?  (Read 7230 times)

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« on: July 29, 2008, 11:18:48 PM »
You know, those games that combine your favorite old  games of a certain series and turns them into an easy to carry package? Mine would be All-Stars. Improved graphics, music, and some of the best Mario games all in one cartridge! A runner up is Sonic Mega Collection, ever since my Genesis broke this is the only way I can play the classic 2-D Sonic games. What are your favorites.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 12:50:40 AM »
The PC versions of either Taito Legends pack are my favorite collections. I love being able to play a legit copy of Bubble Symphony or G-Darius. I also enjoy many of the Namco Museum packs that have been released over the years, as well as the Konami arcade game packs released on the GBA and DS (the former because of Gyruss, the latter because of Gradius, TwinBee, and Contra).

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 01:02:27 AM »
Sonic Mega Collection wins easily. SMAS maybe would have had a chance, if the SMB physics weren't destroyed.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 02:21:07 AM »
Sonic Mega Collection. I admire it more from a sentimental viewpoint than a nostalgia or gameplay collection viewpoint.

The only Sonic game I previously had any exposure to and liked was Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Then I watched all of Sonic SatAM, which convinced me that it blew the Super Mario World cartoon out of the water and most any other cartoon I've ever seen. And Sega had just announced that it dropped out of the console race and Sonic games were coming to a Nintendo system. A sigh of relief, the Nintendo vs. Sega wars were over, now I could drop my grudge and finally see what I was missing. I rented Sonic Adventure DX, but I experienced the dreaded Disc Read Error. Which is probably for the best, I think people said that game was terrible. On a whim I snatched up Sonic Mega Collection when I saw it, figuring it was now or never to get my fill of Sonic.

And when I saw the presentation... wow. Personally, this is the best presentation I've ever seen for a game. Everything's so sharp and clean. The scrolling text at the bottom and the subtle angles to each screen gave it a sort of authoritative, professional look. The Extras section is what impressed me most. To this day I'm amazed at those high-res scans of manuals, letting you CLEARLY see every page. Seeing this same thing with 100 Sonic comic covers plus a bazillion other scans and a few movies told me where most of the space on this disc must have gone. The Sonic Archie Comics "Firsts" issue seemed like a great crash course on the world of Sonic comics, and because the characters of Sonic SatAM came from the Archie comics, it felt like familiar territory. Some people might not care to know who Sally or Antoine or Lupe is, but I loved them. Seeing the covers were awesome too... until I saw the steady style change from cartoony to anime-influenced.
And the music... oh! The music for the Extras/Options menu is heavenly.

So, Sonic Mega Collection because it really went the extra mile beyond the games. I mean, the games themselves weren't upgraded (except for increasing the resolution for split-screen play), so the effort had to go elsewhere.

Other favorites:

- Super Mario All-Stars: While I'm not quite big enough of a Mario nut to have this game entertain me for years on end, it was an excellent collection, and the upgraded graphics and sound added a lot towards my enjoyment. I did notice Mario seemed "heavier" in SMB (Nintendo said in their magazine that the physics for SMB were different, but I don't remember what they said about it... at least it didn't make the game impossible to beat though), but that wasn't a detractor. Kind of ticked off that the level structures didn't remain the same as before though, made me think they were making the game easier on purpose.

- Game & Watch Gallery 2. It's hard to pick a specific entry from the series, but G&WG2 had some great games in it (as opposed to G&WG1 where there was Fire and that was pretty much it. Manhole's a piece of cake once you get the move order burned into your brain. Octopus kicks my butt every time I play it. And Oil Panic's just too much thinking for me). Let's see, G&WG2 had Parachute which is my second-favorite G&W game of all time (first favorite is Mario Bros. from G&W3, partly because I nailed 1000 easily and partly because of the two-side dynamic), Helmet was okay, Vermin's fun, Chef is good except for Classic mode, Donkey Kong is just terrible, and Ball is great fun when it's the Modern version with Yoshi. What can I say, those reflex games are addictive.
You didn't say wot wot.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 09:02:48 AM »
Mega Man Anniversary Collection is pretty sweet, considering it has the first 8 Mega Man games on it, and they all work fairly well. Too bad I sold it. Many people griped that the way the buttons were mapped on the GCN made it hard to play, since A was shoot and B was jump, but I think they're just babies. It even came with a boatload of extras, like some documentary from G4, and the two fighting games. I really regret selling it. PS2 got the Mega Man X collection later, which I never got but sounds like it would be another good buy. I was also a fan of Final Fantasy I and II: Dawn of Souls (even though it's just two games) even though it easified them.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 09:12:36 AM »
Sonic Mega Collection (GCN)
Super Mario All-Stars (SNES)
Mega Man Anniversary Collection (GCN/PS2/Xbox)
Intellivision Lives! (GCN/PS2/Xbox)
Atari Anthology (PS2, I think it's also on Xbox)
Sega Classics Collection (PS2)
Namco Museum series (various)
Ditto used Machop!

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 09:33:19 AM »
Megaman Anniversary Collection was basically my entertainment for two summers in a row. It's easily my favorite collection, but Sonic Mega Collection is nice too.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
Since I'm not that big of a Sonic fan, I'll go with the decently well-done Mega Man X Collection. Good ports of games I don't own otherwise.
Mega Man Anniversary Collection would have been up for consideration if the controls weren't destroyed (and if it had more than 3 games I don't own separately with correct controls). (Quiet, Solid. I still beat the games in that version.) I should get it for PS2 so I can more conveniently and legally play the arcade games with correct button mapping.
That was a joke.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 12:05:47 PM »
Super Mario All*stars: Sadly, I don't have the cartridge that is the four NES games plus SMW, but that's ok.. I get to play the Lost Levels (which I know now is really SMB2..). The graphics are updated, which is great, but I don't really like how the jumping sound was changed to the jumping sound in SMW.. I love SMW, but can't stand the jumping sound in that game.

Namco Museum: I forget which one I have, but I do recall that it's on the GBA and has five games on it: Pacman, Ms. Pacman, Dig Dug, a car racing game (which plays similar to Pacman) and another game that I can't think of..

Kirby Superstar: What's not to like? 9 Kirby games in one game pak on the Snes! Kirby's first game is re-imagined, a two player option is added, and all of them are fun! I still enjoy this one today as much as I did the day I first played it back when it was released..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 12:20:28 PM »
but I don't really like how the jumping sound was changed to the jumping sound in SMW.. I love SMW, but can't stand the jumping sound in that game.

A solution would be not jumping at all!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 12:58:12 PM »
Toad: Namco Museum has Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Galaxian, Dig Dug, and Pole Position.
Is Kirby Super Star really a collection? None of them were previously released (Spring Breeze isn't a remake of Kirby's Dream Land).
That was a joke.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 01:02:36 PM »
Of course I love Sonic Mega Collection.  I also like the various Super Mario Advance cartridges for GBA.  Even though they only contain their respective remake and Mario Bros, I still enjoy being able to play classic games without having to own a SNES.

I also liked how Diddy Kong Racing contained characters from other Rare games, like Banjo, Tiptup, Conker, etc.  That's really more of a "Big Collection of Characters" game.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 01:30:22 PM »
a car racing game (which plays similar to Pacman)

Rally-X

Also. In Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo and Conker's careers began there, and Tiptup just makes cameos in the Banjo games.
Ditto used Machop!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 01:39:38 PM »
No, Namco Museum on GBA has Pole Position. Like I said.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 01:54:49 PM »
Sonic Mega Collection, because it also has The Ooze.
The Orange Box, because all six games (seven if you count Peggle Extreme on PC) rawk.
Megaman Anniversary Collection, because it's Megaman.
Ultimate Doom, because it had all those little add-on things and supported the PlayStation mouse.
Capcom Classics Collection, because it had all the awesome Capcom arcade games.
every

Print