Print

Author Topic: A Compelling Article  (Read 25733 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: August 15, 2008, 01:50:16 PM »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 02:00:11 PM »
Yes, it's true that if you focus on the negative, you'll only see the negative, but some of those reasons focus on the positive and only the positive and were stretched at points (In fact, some of them were outright weak).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 02:05:57 PM »
#4 has pretty much nothing to do with anything
#8 has nothing to do with anything but does make me think "yes, cool"
#10 suffers the fate of #4

I don't really know what "loyal" is supposed to mean either.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 02:07:45 PM »
#8 is the truth. Reggie is the only thing keeping this country together. One of these days, Reggie's going to be called out of retirement to combat this, like, zombie threat, or aliens, and, like...yeah.
every

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 02:11:04 PM »
If staying loyal to Nintendo means "worshiping everything that comes out of their company without question like PS3 and X-Box fanboys" than these ten reasons won't even begin to sway me. If it means "focusing on the bright side and not losing hope," then they have a good point.

I'm hoping that by the middle of next year, we'll have seen a lot of great new releases. We already know about Pikmin 3 for sure, and there's rumors of a new Kid Icarus game and Mario Galaxy sequel - plus I'm sure there's more great stuff headed our way in the future. Also, this article was dead-on about the 3rd party titles. People that say that the Wii has nothing good outside of official Nintendo titles need to pay more attention. :P
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 02:22:58 PM »
Third parties have been publishing as good as or better stuff for Nintendo's systems than Nintendo has for a while now.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 02:26:54 PM »
Yeah, pretty much (but quite a few of those are ports and spin-offs from games on other consoles, mind you).

Not throw your Wii out a window, I guess.

As for me--and I know the last thing everyone wants to hear on this thread is my opinion--the only reason I'm still "loyal" to Nintendo (as in, I've yet to buy a non-Nintendo console) is because there's a vicious cycle to be started there. I guess... well, here's an example: Let's say there's a town with a somewhat notorious population of drug-addicts. Now, some non-druggies might say "Man, I don't want to live in a town that's almost all crackheads. I'm moving!" So those people move to another town where they live fairly happily. Other people, either because they have the same mindset or heard about the group that moved, may be inspired to do the same, all thinking "yeah, I'm going somewhere where there's not so many druggies!" The thing is, the druggies were actually far outnumbered by the "cleaner" citizens, but the more people that moved away, the larger the population of the former became in relation to the latter until, eventually, the town really was almost entirely druggies. A few people's needs for immediate satisfaction turned into a gradual exodus that transformed their former home into the very thing they thought they were escaping from.

It's basically similar with Nintendo. If a lot of gamers say, "man, eff this casual junk; I'm switching over to Microsoft and/or Sony", the number of non-gamers who play the Wii will become dominant, thereby justifying all the more the large amount of cheap and/or simplistic games we see on the Wii/DS. So, this may sound weird coming from me, but if you think that things are bad on the Wii now, imagine how much worse they'll get if more and more gamers abandon the system. If we just stick with Nintendo, ignore all the insubstantial, flash-in-the-pan bilge, and tell them with our wallets that we're here to stay, they and other publishers/developers will get the message. Everyone who sells their Wii on eBay and picks up a PS3... just think about the effect that's having on those of us still sticking with the most unique (for better or for worse) videogame company out there.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 04:03:34 PM »
I'm all in favor of ports of old games as long as they're good. Especially if they're competent ports of console games to portables.
Your allegory fails because there is nothing wrong with other consoles. They have good games too.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 04:44:50 PM »
Your allegory fails because there is nothing wrong with other consoles. They have good games too.
When did I ever allude to that?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 05:36:59 PM »
I hate Reggie.

But I love Brawl. And I have faith that in time, the games I want (still primarily F-Zero for Wii* and Gold/Silver remakes for DS) will come. I'm dying for those, but until then, big deal. I've got other games, the fan translation for MOTHER 3 is almost done, and there are loads of games I've never played and just need to get around to. And I agree with #6. I know I don't appreciate Super Mario Galaxy as much as I should. But one day I'll get a strong urge to play the heck out of it again.

I'm with Chup, too. "Loyal" to Nintendo isn't what I am. I just buy and play their games. If I had a 360, I'd find some games I like and play them. Though, the 360 leans more on online play, and I have a pretty sucky connection.

*There are rumors that Capcom is currently taking care of that one.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 07:02:26 PM »
1: Very yes. Somewhat related to Iwata mentioning that all the planned peripherals are out now; with the exception of Wii Music, everyone in Nintendo is working on the next wave of big name games. Pikmin 3 and Animal Crossing are coming before too long, Galaxy 2 and Zelda 15 are all but confirmed, New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Kid Icarus are very likely.

2: Sounds good. Mario needs more 2D games. Sonic got five new 2D platformers in the time it took Mario to get one, and every one of them has been great.

3: WLS (or WL:SI or WL:TSD) is shaping up to be the most underrated game of all time. Great level design, some of the most beautiful hand-drawn graphics a game has ever had, and most people are going to overlook it because it's a $50 sidescroller. Well dangit, it's worth $50.

4: Actually, that does have something to do with anything. A 55-year-old man who comes out on stage dressed like that, swinging a sword from a video game and grinning from ear to ear, is a man who knows how to have fun and doesn't care how goofy that fun looks, and only a company that would hire a guy like that could have made the Wii.

5: Hope so.

6: Excite Truck is a very good game.

7: Could go either way.

8: Meh. He's been way too focused on the taking names part lately, particularly when those names are then inserted into a buttload of charts along with some big numbers. They were entitled to some gloating at E3 2007, but it's time to get over it. Also, he hates Earthbound.

9: Right. That reminds me, I still need to finish TP.

10: I liked Chicken Run.

He never said that the other towns people were moving to weren't good, he said that because they left, the original town got worse. The quality of the other towns never enters into the equation except that they are perceived as better by the people moving out. He did say that the other consoles are less unique than the Wii, but that's pretty hard to deny, and uniqueness doesn't necessarily imply betterness or worseness, and that wasn't part of the allegory anyway. So I really don't know what you're on about here.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 07:19:07 PM »
Anyone who is actually "loyal" to a company like Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft is a sucker. They're publishers. That's like being loyal to Universal Studios over Paramount. Furthermore, being "loyal" to a system is also dumb. Did anyone here take sides during the Beta/VHS or HD-DVD/Blu-Ray wars? If so, was it because you liked the company that made your format of choice?

The only factors that influence my purchase of a game are:

1) Do I own the system it is designed to run on?
2) Do its various features appeal to me?
3) Have I heard good things about it in the press/from friends?
4) Can I afford it? If so, is it a good value given its quality and feature set?

Not once do I stop and think, "Is it made by a company I have pledged to give all my money to?"
every

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 08:11:26 PM »
Wow, they had me at #3. Wario Land looks like a lot of fun.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 08:23:31 PM »
Any so-called "article" that's actually a list of things shouldn't be considered compelling in the slightest.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 09:19:28 PM »
Well, what I meant by that is that Nintendo's new direction is a hot topic.

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 10:18:16 PM »

Nintendo loyalty involves engaging Sony and Microsoft fanboys in a flaming, rusty chainsaw swordfight, in hopes that the land will one day be pure of the oppressors who keep mother Nintendo from dominating this land in all her righteousness! Onward, brethren!

... sorry, got carried away.

As for the actual article, I thought of some of it's arguments some time earlier. Frankly, I do have hope that Nintendo will clean up their act, just like Sony did after E3 2006 (or pretty much all of the second half of '06, to be precise), but that doesn't cure the Nintendo Game drought at hand. Sure, there are good third party games (finally), but it's sad when a first party cannot provide suitable entertainment for it's hardcore audience. Could you imagine a couple having their baby cared for by another family because they want to spend all their time with the much cuter baby wrapped in cash?
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 06:39:15 AM »
but it's sad when a first party cannot provide suitable entertainment for it's hardcore audience.
Quote from: Nick DiMola
If we look at the Wii thus far we have a fairly solid collection of titles from Nintendo all geared to satiate the Nintendo "hardcore" crowd. We have seen Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Smash Bros, Battalion Wars, Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, and Wario Ware on the Wii already. We also know that Nintendo is working on Disaster, Wario Land, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, a new Mario and a new Zelda. Are there really that many franchises they have missed? Nintendo has clearly invested quite a bit in the hardcore, and as we speak, they are still developing more for us.

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 08:29:11 AM »
Anyone who is actually "loyal" to a company like Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft is a sucker. They're publishers. That's like being loyal to Universal Studios over Paramount. Furthermore, being "loyal" to a system is also dumb. Did anyone here take sides during the Beta/VHS or HD-DVD/Blu-Ray wars? If so, was it because you liked the company that made your format of choice?

Like I said, I'm not loyal to Nintendo in the sense that I am a diehard worshiper of everything they make. I'm more loyal in the sense that I'm not suddenly crying that the sky is falling because of E3 - which was crappy for every company, not just Nintendo. Also, I'm loyal to Nintendo in the sense that I generally like what they make far better than I've ever liked Sony or Microsoft's video game products. It's not really an extreme kind of loyalty, like some people seem to have. ;)
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 09:08:59 AM »
I will always stay loyal to Nintendo.  The only problem that I have seen with the Wii is the stupid games that was a cartoon movie first and then created into a game (like Open Season and Ratatouille) and also games like "Imagine: Cooking" and others like Hannah Montana sing along games and American Idol games.  That is the only flaw I see that Nintendo is making with their business desisions is publishing games that are complete crap.  But thats not all their games.  Like the guy said they came out and are coming out with a butt load of great games like Mushroom Wars, Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Pitfall: The big Adventure, Crash Bandicoot: Mind over Mutant and many others.  The best point I saw there was #2.  WiiWare has massive potencial. But I think that the VC will be even better than WiiWare.  Well at least for hardcore Nintendo gamers who want to play Classics that they don't have or were to young to buy (like me) and thats most everyone on these forums.

EDIT:  I'm loyal to Nintendo because their not just publishers, their developers.  And for that matter their the best developers there is in the game industry.  I hate Microsoft because they strickly are a publisher and 95% of the games that real game developers make for their system is junk.  Sony I think has a good game department because they are sort of like Nintendo, they publish and develop games.  So I like Sony, just not as much as Nintendo. :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 09:20:24 AM by MushroomJunkie »
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 09:28:38 AM »
What's wrong with Hannah Montana?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 10:42:03 AM »
Microsoft doesn't develop games? Since when?
That was a joke.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 11:55:01 AM »

Everything's wrong with Hannah Montana.  Except for the fact that she is pretty hot when shes Miley Cyrus.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 01:00:41 PM »
Except for how she's totally ugly.
That was a joke.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2008, 01:23:14 PM »
What is a Rickroll?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2008, 01:32:54 PM »
lol wut
every

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2008, 05:50:49 PM »
Take a look at CW's sig.  It says something about a rickroll.  Does it have to do with Rick Ashley's song "Never gonna give you up"?

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2008, 06:11:33 PM »
It sounds like you know exactly what it is.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2008, 09:08:59 PM »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2008, 05:56:43 AM »

Dual personality is usually regarded as a bad thing.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2008, 07:32:59 AM »
Hannah Montana, Two-Face, and Dr. Jekyll: Know your foes.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2008, 03:07:56 PM »
What is a Rickroll?

Did you just discover the internet a month ago?

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2008, 06:43:27 PM »
I've been on the internet a long time, and I don't know what a rickroll is.

Edit: And how are we supposed to know what it is if everyone just says "how can you not know?", and then never say what it is?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 06:46:51 PM by jmdblazer »
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2008, 06:49:47 PM »

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2008, 07:26:56 PM »
No it isn't. A rickroll is where you claim you are linking to something shocking, amazing, or shockingly amazing, but are actually linking to that music video. Claiming your link is something other than a video, or stating that it is a rickroll or the "Never Gonna Give You Up" video, makes it not a rickroll. With that said...
The only factors that influence my purchase of a game are:

1) Do I own the system it is designed to run on?
2) Do its various features appeal to me?
3) Have I heard good things about it in the press/from friends?
4) Can I afford it? If so, is it a good value given its quality and feature set?
I think this got overlooked. This is wisdom.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2008, 07:57:49 PM »
That's a great post... where was that originally?

No it isn't. A rickroll is where you claim you are linking to something shocking, amazing, or shockingly amazing, but are actually linking to that music video. Claiming your link is something other than a video, or stating that it is a rickroll or the "Never Gonna Give You Up" video, makes it not a rickroll.
Well, that's the paradox of the thing. If he'd called the link anything else, they probably wouldn'tve gotten the hint. That's kind of the thing with rickrolling--to know about it, you have to have someone "break the rules" of it.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 09:35:57 PM by ShadowBrain »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2008, 09:20:52 PM »
Or not, seeing as the person would be utterly confused to see the title "YOU'VE BEEN RICKROLLED!" instead of the incredible video described, and would proceed to get help figuring out what was going on.

Max's definition of a Rickroll might disappoint EclipsedMoon, who got me a few days ago with this:

[18:10] <EclipsedMoon> BP
[18:12] <BirdPerson> EM
[18:13] <EclipsedMoon> What do you think of this photoshop job? http://noom.kontek.net/images/etc/birdperson.jpg (instead of an actual JPEG it linked to the video)
[18:15] <BirdPerson> Good effort
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2008, 11:01:07 PM »
Yeah I much prefer the definition where I got BP.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 09:35:30 AM »
I'm cautious whenever I look up any awesome-sounding video. As soon as I hear that opening drum fill (doom-doom, duh-doom-da-da-dush), I exit.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2008, 10:00:21 PM »
Someday I'm going to post a very, very awesome video somewhere, but just have the first fifteen seconds be a rickroll. Have faith, and you shall go far!

EDIT: Odd, if you think about it... but it's at least good someone over there's got a brain about this sort of thing.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:45:20 AM by ShadowBrain »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2008, 07:07:32 AM »
Nintendo's saying they're disappointed is one thing, but rectifying their "E3 performance" is another... but I suppose I should give them the benefit of the doubt.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2008, 03:06:37 PM »
This scares me very, very deeply.

Yeah, once again, very old, but I had time to spend the whole day catching up on watching E3 Conference/analyses therein and whatnot.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2008, 03:14:02 PM »
Nintendo needs make casual games easier for nongamers to play. An example would be a black screen that, every now and then, would say "You win this level" and "You're doing a very good job" at you.
every

CrossEyed7

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2008, 06:01:23 PM »
Well, it depends on what "accessible" means. I thought Twilight Princess was a lot more accessible than Ocarina, since I could actually figure out puzzles by looking at them. Super Mario World was a lot more accessible than Sunshine, and is still considered one of the greatest games of all time. So if that's the kind of direction they're going, I'm fine with it, and I think Miyamoto is still worthy of the benefit of the doubt.

Today's Trivia of Dubious Veracity: Eiji Aonuma has never beaten the original Zelda.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2008, 06:06:19 PM »
Maybe not, but my younger brother just did a week or two back.

So if that's the kind of direction they're going, I'm fine with it, and I think Miyamoto is still worthy of the benefit of the doubt.
That's like giving Jack Thompson the benefit of the doubt that next time he sues someone over making a violent videogame, he'll be polite and calm about it. Every recent entry in major, solo-driven, Nintendo franchises should be proof enough that, no matter what Nintendo is saying, "easy to learn, hard to master" has taken an airplane-backseat to "no more or less easy to learn, easy as crap to beat".

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2008, 08:42:47 AM »
I was very disappointed in the E3 2008 conference when I saw it too.  I'm sad that Nintendo is turning their back on hardcore gamers like us who have been with them for a very long time and focusing their attention on casual, "oh I'll just play the wii a little bit after dinner" gamers.  From Turtlekids link it's true that it is wrong to call people casual gamers as an insult but casual gamers 'do' hurt the gaming industry.  Not in a way that will make them lose money, but in a way that will create a decline in good, "hardcore" games such as Mario, sonic, Pikmin, Rayman (not raving rabbids), Donkey Kong, WoW, and whatever else have you.  And it will increase stupid games like Wii Fit and Wii Music and whatever.  So in my opinion, I dislike casual gamers, I will always dislike them and I think that there should be little or none of them at all.  Either you start playing hardcore games and become a harcore gamer, or your not a gamer.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2008, 10:00:38 AM »
It's harsh, and I've been trying to come up with a word for this so the impact isn't as severe (and it can apply to other topics as well), but the whole thing is very similar to the illegal immigration debate. Hispanics aren't entering America so they can transform it into Mexico 2; that just happens to be an unsettlingly possible side-effect of a bunch of people simultaneuously wanting the same thing. Same with "causals"; it's not like they're all going, "oh, man, I can't wait until all everything's Wii Fit and Brain Age! I'm going to intentionally get everyone I know to start playing simple, cheap games! That'll show those 'hardcore gamers!'". They just want to have fun, but that unfortunately has the side-effect of transforming Nintendo (and, slowly, the rest of the gaming industry) into what it is now. It's not them--it's me.

Also, it is not an opinion, but a solid fact that everybody who saw the E3 Nintendo conference was let down. A fact. The minute you drive to E3 to watch it live or get on G4/1UP.com to see a feed, you're pretty much officially a gamer. Not a "casual". A gamer. Like us. And, if so, you probably aren't incredibly psyched for frisbee-throwing in Wii Sports Resort or exuberant flute-playing in a field of flowers in Wii Music. Which makes the whole thing a million times more idiotic, because what was the point of having Cammie Dunway (or whatever that ditz's name was--anyone who reminds me of my second-grade teacher should not be in charge of trying to make me like videogames) talk about huge smiles and snowboarding accidents to people's moms if everybody watching the god-dang thing obviously was not even into that stuff!? And then, as in the link I posted above, Miyamoto says E3 shouldn't be for showing "core" games. Double-you-tee-eff.

I've been considering starting some sort of blog-type thing at some point about me owning only a Wii. At this point, I've decided it might be fun, in a sadistic, documentary-style way (like Supersize Me or one of those Japanese reality TV shows), to chronicle the life of a gamer trying to survive with nothing but a Wii (and a DS).

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2008, 11:05:03 AM »
Try living with just a PS2 in this day and age. I had to go through that for a while.
every

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2008, 12:36:35 PM »
but the whole thing is very similar to the illegal immigration debate

Thats very true.

It's harsh, and I've been trying to come up with a word for this so the impact isn't as severe

Why try and come up with a nice word?  They enter the world of gaming so they have to hear what the current gamers think about them changing things around. 

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2008, 12:59:02 PM »
Try living with just a PS2 in this day and age. I had to go through that for a while.
And you survivied?

It's harsh, and I've been trying to come up with a word for this so the impact isn't as severe (and it can apply to other topics as well), but the whole thing is very similar to the illegal immigration debate. Hispanics aren't entering America so they can transform it into Mexico 2; that just happens to be an unsettlingly possible side-effect of a bunch of people simultaneuously wanting the same thing. Same with "causals"; it's not like they're all going, "oh, man, I can't wait until all everything's Wii Fit and Brain Age! I'm going to intentionally get everyone I know to start playing simple, cheap games! That'll show those 'hardcore gamers!'". They just want to have fun, but that unfortunately has the side-effect of transforming Nintendo (and, slowly, the rest of the gaming industry) into what it is now. It's not them--it's me.

Also, it is not an opinion, but a solid fact that everybody who saw the E3 Nintendo conference was let down. A fact. The minute you drive to E3 to watch it live or get on G4/1UP.com to see a feed, you're pretty much officially a gamer. Not a "casual". A gamer. Like us. And, if so, you probably aren't incredibly psyched for frisbee-throwing in Wii Sports Resort or exuberant flute-playing in a field of flowers in Wii Music. Which makes the whole thing a million times more idiotic, because what was the point of having Cammie Dunway (or whatever that ditz's name was--anyone who reminds me of my second-grade teacher should not be in charge of trying to make me like videogames) talk about huge smiles and snowboarding accidents to people's moms if everybody watching the god-dang thing obviously was not even into that stuff!? And then, as in the link I posted above, Miyamoto says E3 shouldn't be for showing "core" games. Double-you-tee-eff.

http://www.theslackerz.com/index.php?Page=86 [Language warning] That is all.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 01:02:47 PM by luigalaxy »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2008, 03:11:56 PM »

What?  There are a lot of great Ps2 games!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2008, 04:12:50 PM »
Yeah, but playing Ratchet & Clank for the eleventeenth time gets boring after a while.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2008, 10:45:44 PM »
Actually, I think living with just a PS2 in this day and age is the best possible thing you can do. It's got all the qualities of the Wii (cheap, slim, and full of shovelware), but with more good games. Only thing is... bad graphics and load times.

http://www.theslackerz.com/index.php?Page=86 [Language warning] That is all.
I already posted that myself... somewhere around here (but thanks anyway).

Why try and come up with a nice word?  They enter the world of gaming so they have to hear what the current gamers think about them changing things around.
Hmm... true, true... Then again, "casuals" probably aren't going onto gamer forums and stuff like that (which, like I said, made the E3 conference all the more ridiculous. It's also the same reason it's painful to read Nintendo Power--and not just because it's so horribly composed).

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2008, 10:48:14 PM »
Looking at my PS2 shelf, that still might be the winning console now, except for the once-in-a-while awesome exclusive Nintendo gets.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2008, 10:50:06 PM »
Well, it's been around for... what, six, seven years? Just like the original PlayStation? If Sony's done one thing right, it's made consoles that will not die--for better or for worse.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2008, 10:53:30 PM »
I'm simply referring to the amount of good games it has. But to be fair, Gamecube had a good amount of awesome games that PS2 didn't have (Baten Kaitos, Odama, Ikaruga...)
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2008, 10:58:44 PM »
I'm simply referring to the amount of good games it has.
Well, so was I--the longevity was just another thing I was factoring in.

And if you're going to tick off a few great games the GCN had that the PS2 doesn't... Odama? Baten Kaitos and Ikaruga, maybe, but... man, I know those were just passing examples, but...

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2008, 12:08:14 AM »
Odama is one of the most weirdly awesome games ever made!
That was a joke.

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2008, 12:39:52 AM »
Lol all the dudes being emos because there is no new zelda
Don't use real life to avoid videogames, it is not healthy to escape from problems.

« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2008, 04:43:59 AM »
Lol all the dudes being emos because there is no new zelda
In this thread or what?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2008, 07:24:01 AM »
Odama is one of the most weirdly awesome games ever made!
Well, I had considered getting it, but I'd heard... mixed reviews. I mean, if anyone else who played it here wants to throw in a recommendation, I might pick up a copy. After all, I've decided to devote my purchasing from now on to buying older games I didn't get the first time around.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2008, 07:40:53 AM »
Sorry, never played it.  I only have 3 Gamecube games.

Yeah, but playing Ratchet & Clank for the eleventeenth time gets boring after a while.

Actually, endless Hero Mode replays in Up Your Arsenal almost never bores me... I wish it were as easy to start a Hero Mode game in Jak 2 or Jak 3...

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
True, UYA has better replay value than the other PS2 Ratchets, but the environments in platformers tend to wear thin on me after a while.

Also, Odama FTW. As long as you realize it's impossible to truly be good at it, you'll have a fun time.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2008, 12:02:05 PM »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2008, 12:10:31 PM »
That baby hasn't aged at all in ten years? WITCHCRAFT!!
every

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
Sorry for my previous post, I know it wasn't very constructive.

I don't know about you, but I am happy with 2 new good (or at least promising) games. So I don't really see a problem (for me anyway).
Don't use real life to avoid videogames, it is not healthy to escape from problems.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2008, 12:24:16 PM »
Wario Land, Kirby Super Star, and Rhythm Heaven should keep people happy.
That was a joke.

« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2008, 12:37:19 PM »
Agreed.

« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2008, 02:34:55 PM »
And there are some good thirty games arriving...Madworld, Sonic Unleashed etc. Nintendo ended their production cycle on lots of first party titles between last fall and this summer. I really just feel as if nothing is far along enough to present aside from WarioLand. Maybe we'll get something exciting at the next show...

As far as that list...three of those games look pretty hardcore.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2008, 08:18:53 PM »
While I agree with Shadow Brain's posts regarding the topic of Nintendo's E3, I'm starting to agree with Bird Person's opinions that he should just let it go and hope for something better...

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2008, 07:07:32 AM »
It's definitely true that '98's E3 line up was much better than '08's but look at some of the good games on the list: Animal Crossing: City Folk (the best there), Kirby Super Star Ultra (although I'm not sure what that game is all about I'm just assuming its gonna be good), Super Mario Sluggers, and Wii Speak.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2008, 08:19:00 AM »
Hahahahahhahaahahahahhhaaaaaah, ha ha ha hahahaha, heh heh heheh heh, huh, ha, hunh....

Wooooooo. *sniff*

That's funny.
every

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2008, 09:11:26 AM »
I guess your not using some of that great, Genuine Glorbian SarcasmTM huh Glorb?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2008, 09:51:24 AM »
No, it's just that lower budget games and/or games on Nintendo systems in general are Glorb's one true weakness. He'll die if he comes within 100 feet of one.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2008, 10:58:58 AM »
I subsist on a steady diet of Halo 4 and Metal Gear Solid 5.
every

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2008, 03:14:34 PM »
Kirby Super Star Ultra (although I'm not sure what that game is all about I'm just assuming its gonna be good)
You had better bet it's going to be good. Kirby Super Star was Kirby's finest moment ever, and this can only improve on it.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2008, 10:14:07 PM »
I'm somewhat confident in saying that'll probably be the first DS game I'll have bought since... PH, I think (not much of a coincidence). And, thereafter, probably the last for a while.

That baby hasn't aged at all in ten years? WITCHCRAFT!!
I lol'd.

Wario Land, Kirby Super Star, and Rhythm Heaven should keep people happy.
"Placated" is the kindest I'd put it (and keep in mind that those games got pretty much got zero E3 publicity. From now on, I've decided that the quality of a Nintendo game is more or less in inverse proportion to how much they try to shove it in your face).

And there are some good thirty games arriving...Madworld, Sonic Unleashed etc. Nintendo ended their production cycle on lots of first party titles between last fall and this summer. I really just feel as if nothing is far along enough to present aside from WarioLand. Maybe we'll get something exciting at the next show...

As far as that list...three of those games look pretty hardcore.
That is true, and it's good to look on the bright side of things now and then, but I just want to take this opportunity to say something (that you've probably heard other people on the internet say): You never really see primarily PS3/360 gamers constantly reiterating how many "good" games are on the console, putting things in perspective/rationalizing the quality of the console's library as a whole, treating every "good" game like a rare gift...

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2008, 11:27:52 PM »
You're still way too stuck in the whole fanboy mentality, what with your classification of "PS3 gamers" or "360 gamers". I play the games I want to play on the console they're on.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2008, 12:00:35 AM »
I guess what I meant is people who primarily play on those consoles enough to the point where they're having discussions about the quality of their games (perhaps on forums dedicated to said consoles or games therein).

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2008, 07:53:50 AM »
I'm not a fanboy. I love nintendo and I like the playstation's very much, but when it comes to xbox or xbox 360 I absolutly hate it.  I hope one day that for whatever reason xbox's won't be sold anymore.  Maybe everyone boycots them, or they find that waves from the console are causing severe brain damage, or no company's release games for them anymore.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 03:00:41 PM by MushroomJunkie »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2008, 08:16:16 AM »
I'm not a fanboy

Quote from: MushroomJinkie
but when it comes to xbox or xbox 360 I absolutly hate it.

???

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2008, 09:34:05 AM »
I'd say there's about $50,000 worth of comedy gold right there. Not counting Chef's "MushroomJinkie".
every

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2008, 02:40:02 PM »
and I like the playstation's very much

See that Chef? Huh? HUH??
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 02:54:33 PM by MushroomJunkie »

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2008, 02:52:31 PM »
The PlayStation's what?

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2008, 02:53:56 PM »
I said I like the playstation consoles very much.

« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2008, 03:29:13 PM »
I said I like the playstation consoles very much.

???

????
I'd say there's about $50,000 worth of comedy gold right there. Not counting Chef's "MushroomJinkie".
I thought the other way around.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2008, 04:38:57 PM »
I'm not going to pay $50,000 for a couple of lame posts about fanboys and their ways.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2008, 06:20:12 PM »
When did I ever allude to that?
um, you compared "hardcore" gamers to drug users. And everyone here hate's dem folk

P.S. If someone said this before I'm sorry I'm really stoned right now
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 06:22:06 PM by Shyguy92 »
"it's always the present"

« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2008, 07:39:29 PM »
From now on, I've decided that the quality of a Nintendo game is more or less in inverse proportion to how much they try to shove it in your face

I've always noticed that it is usually that way, with one or two exceptions.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2008, 07:57:43 PM »
Someone had a theory that the reason we didn't see Mario, Zelda, or Pikmin at E3 was because Nintendo wanted to avoid the hype backlash that Brawl and (to a lesser extent) Twilight Princess got, having been overexposed a bit too much before release.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2008, 09:33:37 PM »
Methinks Nintendo's actually hiding some sort of crazy-awesome crossover nerdgasmganza decades in the making that spans hundreds of companies and genres.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2008, 10:09:03 PM »
Someone had a theory that the reason we didn't see Mario, Zelda, or Pikmin at E3 was because Nintendo wanted to avoid the hype backlash that Brawl and (to a lesser extent) Twilight Princess got, having been overexposed a bit too much before release.
I'm not going to say it's impossible, but that just smacks of one of those desperate conspiracy theories people concoct (like Glorb referred to above) when they can't bear to face the facts--namely, that things are kind of going downhill at Club N.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2008, 10:10:42 PM »
But there's nothing to suggest that aside from their current output, which has no bearing on future products.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2008, 10:24:10 PM »
I have a theory that the reason we aren't getting more Mario* is the fact that Galaxy is not even a year old.

*Meaning, a real game. Sluggers is out if you want him that badly.
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2008, 03:41:37 PM »
Mario?  I can wait a while for another Mario game.  But what about a new Metroid? 

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2008, 06:23:23 PM »
I have a theory that the reason we aren't getting more Mario* is the fact that Galaxy is not even a year old.
...But was delayed along with Brawl and Metroid Prime 3 to see release at a later date. Now, obviously, that probably helped improve the game, but that doesn't mean it had any bearing on the development of games even further in the future.

As for me, I'm not really expecting more Mario or Zelda soon. It took about a year to make Phantom Hourglass and... yeah, we all know what I'm going to say here.

Print