Print

Author Topic: Best selling game of all time  (Read 12325 times)

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 08:48:24 AM »
Both Super Mario Bros and Wii Sports would still have sold tens of millions of copies if they weren't bundled.
I highly doubt that Super Mario Bros. and Wii Sports would've sold even half the amount they did now if they weren't bundled with their systems. No other game, bundled or not, has sold even close to how much they sold, besides Tetris. What makes you think these two games would still sell tens of millions when so many other great games didn't?

Wii Sports is the Super Mario Bros of our generation.
What exactly does that mean? Super Mario Bros. was the most popular, most played, and probably most talked about game when it came out. Wii Sports is not talked about much at all, and I doubt people even think about it too much. Half the people who have it probably don't play it anymore. That's a lot unlike Super Mario Bros. when it first came out.

Super Mario Bros. is a classic, and you can't compare some game like Wii Sports to it just because it outsold it. I doubt it outsold it anyway, because 40 million Wii's have not been sold so far.
Hacky, please stop teaming with the computers.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 10:03:55 AM »
I agree. There are indeed games this generation that will be considered classic, like Super Mario Galaxy, but Wii Sports is definitely not one of them. In more simplistic terms, a best-selling game doesn't make a classic game.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 10:13:28 AM »
I don't know. I didn't think that Super Mario Galaxy could be considered extremely "revolutionary" just because we like it. Yes, the whole gravity mechanism is really cool, but there's not a lot about it that doesn't seem to make it really ground-breaking. SMB introduced many new mechanisms and was a major innovation in the platformer genre. SM64 is ground-breaking, for it is the first game to truly use three dimensions in an innovative way. I consider Wii Sports revolutionary for it is the first game to feature working and fully-functional motion controls, a new play to play. Super Mario Galaxy doesn't really seem to show a lot of elements that will be incorporated into platforming games as a whole. A lot of it we have already seen before. Again, the gravity mechanic is really neat, but... it doesn't feel like that could be easily expanded to future games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 01:32:30 PM »
I don't think Wii Sports is the first game to use motion controls by a long shot.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 02:58:13 PM »
I don't know. I didn't think that Super Mario Galaxy could be considered extremely "revolutionary" just because we like it. Yes, the whole gravity mechanism is really cool, but there's not a lot about it that doesn't seem to make it really ground-breaking.
Exactly. Super Mario Bros was revolutionary because it completely flew in the face of what hardcore gamers thought a real game was. Mario Galaxy doesn't do that. Even those who still don't consider Mario a real game don't care, because they just filter him out now, and Galaxy doesn't offer any big sweeping changes to the genre. It's easy to see it as just another Mario game. But Wii Sports demands attention.

Granted, Wii Sports wasn't the first game to have motion controls, but then Super Mario Bros wasn't the first game to have Mario jumping over bad guys while progressing through a story. Likewise, if you look hard enough, you can find control pad-type things before the NES, analog sticks before the N64, 3D platformers before SM64, and patents for motion-based controllers before the Wii, but in every case, Nintendo was the one to take the idea, look at the big picture, and bring it to the masses.

Super Mario Bros. is a classic, and you can't compare some game like Wii Sports to it just because it outsold it.
I think we're using different definitions here. When I say a game will be a classic, I mean it is going to be remembered twenty years from now as being an integral piece of gaming history, not that it fulfills the current definitions of what a game should be. Real classics are the games that make their own rules. Mario Galaxy's best quality is that it's like other Mario games. It's a great game, but it doesn't move the medium forward at all.

You can't compare Wii Sports and Super Mario Bros solely because they've both sold a lot of copies, but that's certainly part of it. The actual quality of the game isn't changed, but what I'm thinking about is their impact on the gaming medium at large. Would games today have stories with a beginning, middle, and end if Donkey Kong had flopped? Would genres like sidescrolling platformers and 2-D fighters even exist if Super Mario Bros had only sold 5,000 copies?

I'm not saying I like where this is all going, but I do trust that Nintendo knows what they're doing. History shows that when Miyamoto does something completely insane because he thinks it's fun, not only does it actually end up being fun, it becomes the new definition of fun. And after having played Wii Music for over ten hours in the last five days, I think he's onto something again.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 03:04:36 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 05:58:24 PM »
I think you're all being biased because you worship Super Mario Brothers. :D

Wii Sports outsold SMB. Get over it. It doesn't mean you need to try to degrade Wii Sports. God, we're getting a whole clan of Brians...
No! I don't want that!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 07:10:16 PM »
Hey Lizard Dude! Remember what I said in the chatroom that one time?

<Lizard_Dude> "Including VGChartz software data for the week ending 27th December 2008, Wii Sports has now passed sales of Super Mario Bros (NES) at 40.24 million units, making it the best selling videogame of all time."
* TheChef can't think of a response
<+TEM> I'm thinking
<+TEM> I wish I bought some sweet Nintendo stock ten years ago
<+TEM> wait that was only 98
<+TEM> 13 years ago
<TheChef> They're certainly outdoing themselves this time
<+TEM> er, 99
<TheChef> and the majority of fans don't like it one bit
<+TEM> WHAT YEAR IS IT AGAIN?
<TheChef> 2009
<+TEM> majority of fans don't like it
<+TEM> what
<TheChef> the fact that a game like Wii Sports is making a killing
<TheChef> OK maybe not fans, but fan_boys_ rather
<TheChef> you know what I mean
<+TEM> if they don't like it why are they fans? why would you suggest the majority not liking it if it's the best selling video game of all time?
<Lizard_Dude> Uh, who doesn't like Wii Sports?
<+TEM> Wii Sports is responsible for maybe the most pooping I've done in a single hour because of video games
<TheChef> I'm talking about the people who are all "BAWW NINTENDO MAKES CASUAL CRAP AND NO HARDCORE STUFFS BAWW"
<Lizard_Dude> Wii Sports isn't what they're complaining about

Looks like I was right. Hehehehehehehehe. >:D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 07:18:44 PM by The Chef »

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 10:41:27 PM »
What do you think you're referring to here?
That was a joke.

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 11:50:01 PM »
I think you're all being biased because you worship Super Mario Brothers. :D

Actually, I barely play Super Mario Bros, and I'm not biased on it in any way. I just don't think a game like Wii Sports would be something people will remember after a long time, especially since they're already forgetting about it now.
Hacky, please stop teaming with the computers.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2009, 08:30:13 AM »
**WARNING: SHADOWBRAIN**

"Hey, remember Wii Sports? About 20 years ago, wasn't it?"

"Yeah, you pretended to play really watered-down sports, right?"

"Yep, tennis, bowling... tennis. Good times, good times."

I'll eat my shoe if I hear anybody say anything like that "after a long time". The people that game is primarily targeted towards will probably be retired or otherwise by then and I don't think they're going to wax anywhere near as nostalgic as we will about games that actually are worth remembering (I think it also needs to be kept in mind that Wii Sports, like Wii Play and, to some extent, Wii Fit, are glorified tutorials for a peripheral/system. By extent, the highest-grossing movies ever are those looping Coke and Buncha Crunch ads before the theater lights dim).

Besides, the Wii is selling so much chiefly because of artificial shortages and word-of-mouth/media coverage hype that's been mushrooming to urban legendary proportions. Far too many people buy it, play Wii Sports for a day or two, maybe pick up a Guitar Hero/Cabela's/racing game (well, maybe that's just my Wii-owning relatives), then forget about it. But by that point Nintendo's already got their money, so who cares, right?

**WARNING: SHADOWBRAIN**
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 11:16:13 AM »
People who play games remember all sorts of stuff. I hear people discussing X Atari 2600 Game where I work all the time.

Regardless of your warnings, people are still going to refute your posts.

Tennis and Bowling are fun.
That was a joke.

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2009, 11:29:11 AM »
I don't get how Wii Sports is top selling when its bundled in all countries 'cept Japan with the Wiis.

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 11:37:47 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but I think Wii Sports is the 21st century's version of PONG. Yes, it's that popular.
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 01:54:05 PM »
Regardless of your warnings, people are still going to refute your posts.

Tennis and Bowling are fun.
To the first: I know.

To the second: Something can be fun and still unfulfilling and/or unworthy of recognition.

I don't even know what the point of these kinds of discussions--primarily Not at the Dinner Table's--is anymore. Nobody's ever going to change their mind, and if they do they probably won't admit it.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 03:29:52 PM »
What, arguments? True, but if even if they don't admit it, they still changed their answer. Lol, arguing about arguing.

Print