Print

Author Topic: Battlefield Heroes  (Read 4860 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: June 27, 2009, 01:13:07 PM »
CARTOON SHOOTAH

So I'm downloading it right now. In case you're wondering, my opinion of its aesthetics (tastelessly over-the-top parody of a real-life war and massive TF2 ripoff) and playing model (everything's free, but you can pay cash to gain extra EXP if you lack the time to play want to instantly own everyone else without really trying) still stand, but, hey, it's free. I've noticed you can't have the same screen name or character name as anyone else, so pretty soon everyone's going to end up having nonsensical gibberish as their names.

Update when I get to playing.

EDIT: Actually kind of fun, though it feels kind of sparse and disjointed. For the middle-ground class, the Soldier is far too slow.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 01:34:47 PM by Glorb »
every

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 07:42:05 PM »
I briefly participated in the beta. The game at the time was a laggy piece of crap with uninteresting game play. At some point in the future if I'm bored I might give it another go to see if there were any significant improvements.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 08:25:10 PM »
Good Lord, I won't be running this thing on the computer I'm on right now... maybe my dad's later, if I have time. 
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 08:46:48 PM »
massive TF2 ripoff
Sorry Glorb, DICE had decided on that art style by January 2007, when very little was known about how TF2 was going to end up looking. When those details did come out, they almost switched to boring "realistic" graphics like 95% of shooters have because they knew ignorant whiners like you were going to say what you did, but they (smartly) kept the style.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 09:29:20 PM »
Dude, the art style had been known since around 2006. Since then, DICE wouldn't shut their traps about BH being a CARTOON SHOOTAH with CARTOON WAHRLDS populated by CARTOON CHARACTAHS, so the point is rather moot.

And now the game seems not to be working for me whenever I try and play.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 09:35:35 PM by Glorb »
every

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 09:35:52 PM »
They would have marketed it that way regardless. In a world of brown boringness, being cartoon is cool.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 10:27:41 AM »
Yes, but aping another game's extremely distinctive art style and then having a marketing campaign entirely devoted to that art style is not cool.

And for the record, neither is the fact that you have to pay cash if you intend to have any sort of visually unique character ever.
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 10:47:34 AM »
Glorb, I'm guessing you're unfamiliar with the Korean MMO style of making money, in which having the player purchase optional in-game items that have no effect on the gameplay is how the company makes fat wads of cash? It's proven to be incredibly successful for many games. The only difference here is that some of the things that can be purchased have a non-negligible effect on the gameplay: they let you skip over all that hard work of level-grinding.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 10:58:49 AM »
People describing the goods of that system always gloss over the bads. You're selectively ignoring the fact that someone who just joined could choose to instantly pour a bunch of money into high-grade equipment or higher levels far above anyone who actually worked for it, tossing any semblance of game balance out the window. And in a competetive shooter, that's [darn] near unacceptable.

But of course none of that matters now since the game refuses to work on my computer anymore.

EDIT: Not making a new post for this. Now it's saying I don't even have any account on BH. Oh joy.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 02:52:13 PM by Glorb »
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 11:12:17 AM »
This is the only game where that's a problem - at worst, other games using this model will let you purchase something that doubles your experience point gains for a few hours, which isn't enough to get far ahead unless you're capable of the impossible (like doing several raids in that time), in which case you're probably near the level cap anyway. Furthermore, these other games being RPGs with a standard MMO equipment requirement system means you can't just buy high-end equipment and be better.

At any rate, it's certainly better than the "free to play, but if you become a paid member, you get access to the other half of the game and get to laugh at the poor losers" model of games such as RunEscape and Free Realms (which does this model in addition to the Korean model).

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 07:13:48 PM »
Yes, but aping another game's extremely distinctive art style and then having a marketing campaign entirely devoted to that art style is not cool.
Now you're going back to your original misperception that they aped the style!

Plus, they aren't even that similar. They're both cell shadey, but different styles. Are you going to start attacking Wind Waker next?

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 07:29:39 PM »
The biggest similarity I see here to TF2 is class-based overexaggerated team-based warfare.

Still, it's not appealing to me in any way.
No! I don't want that!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 08:11:48 PM »
Now you're going back to your original misperception that they aped the style!

Plus, they aren't even that similar. They're both cell shadey, but different styles. Are you going to start attacking Wind Waker next?

"Going back"? What did I say that made you think I dropped that opinion? The TF2 art style was announced at E3 '06. Battlefield Heroes was announced some time after that, and one of the first things they announced was that the game had a cartoony atmosphere.

And yes, they are pretty similar. TF2 evokes more of an Incredibles style while Heroes resembles Toy Story (at least in the overall color palette), but they're both pretty Pixar-y. Everyone's got chiseled lantern jaws and moderately exaggerated features.

Besides, how many other multiplayer team-based shooters can you recall that had retro 50s/60s animation inspired visuals before TF2?
every

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 09:04:54 PM »
It's just two teams coincidentally doing similar ideas at the same time, like Okami vs. Twilight Princess.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 07:45:59 PM »
I got it back up and runing. I'll admit, the game's growing on me, although DICE must be off their gourds not to include a quick weapon switch button or voice chat (if it has something to do with being "casual" I will flip my [dukar]). I don't have a mic myself, but I can't imagine how much stress all my talkative teammates must be under when typing out their massive blocks of text.
every

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 10:19:22 PM »

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 04:24:39 AM »
Um

Uh

Is it wrong that the idea of playing in a Smooth Criminal outfit may have just won the game over for me?
No! I don't want that!

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 04:40:30 AM »
This is taking Micheal Jackson's death to a whole new level.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 09:30:36 AM »
I take it back. Battlefield Heroes isn't tasteless at all.
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 11:08:20 AM »
AEL AEL AEL
Anyway, my connection has asserted several times in the past that I will not be playing first-person shooters online, and this is no exception. Not even a Smooth Criminal outfit can change that.

Print