Print

Author Topic: Your own video game  (Read 15098 times)

« on: July 23, 2009, 01:20:07 AM »
If you could make your very own game, what kind of game would it be?  What would it be called?  What would be the plot?  What would the levels be like?  Who would be your characters?  Your enemies?  Your weapons?  Your powers?  Be as creative as you want.

Be as specific as possible, for someone important may recognize your genius!

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 01:33:58 AM »
I would launch squirrels at buildings. After successfully launching the squirrel through a window, you would take control of it and start stealing stuff. But then when you are doing that, a human would notice you, and then so the object of the game is to kill the squirrel. It would take place in early 1960's Burbank, California.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 01:43:16 AM »
Sudoku platformer or mahjong shmup.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 11:45:31 AM »
Be as specific as possible, for someone important may recognize your genius!
Are you soliciting people to come steal our ideas or what?
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 12:26:37 PM »
A second-person shooter.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 01:44:56 PM »
A co-op shooter where you have to build a house and then it gets attacked by millions of zombies. You can play as a Construction Worker (builds fastest), a Gun Dude (shoots best), a Chef (makes food and gets hungry less), or a Scientist (researches stuff and makes better weapons). You use pieces of surrounding junk to make your own house and fortify it, and every morning you get to make repairs and set up traps. It would have totally realistic destruction like that new Red Faction game.
every

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 03:36:15 PM »
Waluigi game! You run and jump and kick and punch just like Mario only you're Waluigi! Wa-Wa-Wa-Waluigi!
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 03:51:04 PM »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 04:02:27 PM »
A side-scrolling platformer-RPG that would be a cross between Ratchet and Clank and Paper Mario.  You play as a turtle that flies around the world in his bad*** airship (a turtle; imagine that!) and fights crime with a variety of weapons (some futuristic, some more medieval).  I'm thinking a toad or frog for a sidekick that pilots the airship and would maybe have to rescue the protagonist from a tight spot or two.

As you gain experience, you get stat points when you level up that you can spend on any particular stat, allowing you to influence which stats get the most points, like the Pokemon games (unlike the Pokemon games, it's a more direct influence and you wouldn't have to mess with EVs; there's also no limit to how high a stat can go, so you can make a specialized character with insanely high attack and poor defense for example).  

The sheer number and upgradeability (is that a word?  Spell Check doesn't think so) of weapons is where the Ratchet and Clank influence would be clear (and possibly in the comic mischief); there would be a lot of weapons, all able to be leveled up into deadlier forms.  I would also implement lots of different types of armor and defensive equipment with similar mechanics.  The enemies would also power up to accommodate the player's increase in power, of course, so as not to make the game too easy.

Like Super Paper Mario, however, it'd be a side-scrolling platformer-RPG as far as controls and layout go, with battles and item-collecting in real time and the ability to shift focus from gratuitous gun fighting to heavy platforming at any moment (it'd be closer to the R&C games in terms of difficulty, though - somewhere between Going Commando, which was effin' hard, and Up Your Arsenal, which was slightly on the easy side).  The story would be of middling length, with the real challenge to 100% completion coming in the form of side quests, and OH YES, there will be side quests.

Graphics would probably be cel-shaded (the characters and levels would be fairly cartoony; think the Sly Cooper games), and music would have a decidedly techno/trance feel for the most part.  

Is any of that confusing or grammatically incorrect?  Because it's hard to convey my thoughts on the matter into a systematic post.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 07:27:35 PM »
I'd have game that combines both Banjo: Nuts & Bolts and Katamari. It's a game where you can build all sorts of vehicles with all sorts of functions except the parts can be any object you find lying around the game's world.

a Chef (makes food and gets hungry less)

:D

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 12:19:14 AM »
I've been working on an RPG Maker project for the past 8 years or so. I'm really close to finishing it. While I used a lot of premade resources for it, I did set out to at least try and make the plotline as good as I could. On another note, the soundtrack to it is all made up of various songs from other video games. It's my own little personal tribute to video game music. I did a testrunn through it up to chapter 8, and it was clocked in at almost 30 hours. Take into account that I was the creator of the game, and that there's still another whole chapter, plus sidequests and postgame events, the game will likely take a good 40 hours to play through entirely. If anyone's at all interested, I even have a wiki page for it.

http://rpgmaker.wikia.com/wiki/Legend_of_Dralagenil_II

Go there and check it out.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 08:12:19 AM »
Dead or Alive: Extreme Beach Volleyball stole my first idea.

My second idea, however (among many), would be a 2D platformer with water balloons as the main weapon. Not just water balloons, though, ones full of fire, grenades, ice, spikes... elemental stuff like that, and you'd really have to use your head to get through the level because there would be lots of possibilities (use fire balloons to melt plastic blocks or turn a desert tornado into a glass spiral staircase, use water balloons to fill a spike-bottomed pool or make a paper barrier soggy enough to break though; stuff like that).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 03:28:48 PM »
A second-person shooter
Brilliant. You would assume control of a generic enemy grunt in hopes of dispatching or diverting the attention of fellow enemies long enough for "your" CPU-controlled hero to complete the mission, all the while avoiding said hero's attacks.

Go there and check it out.

I'm really diggin' this map, Foresy Guy.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 03:35:25 PM »
Brilliant. You would assume control of a generic enemy grunt in hopes of dispatching or diverting the attention of fellow enemies long enough for "your" CPU-controlled hero to complete the mission, all the while avoiding said hero's attacks.
When I think second-person shooter, I think "controlling one character but from the point of view of another" - which has already been done, sort of.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 03:38:36 PM »
Yeah, I would expect it to be from the point of view of the guy about to get/getting shot. But you're still controlling the shooter, I guess.
That was a joke.

Print