Print

Author Topic: Your own video game  (Read 15093 times)

« on: July 23, 2009, 01:20:07 AM »
If you could make your very own game, what kind of game would it be?  What would it be called?  What would be the plot?  What would the levels be like?  Who would be your characters?  Your enemies?  Your weapons?  Your powers?  Be as creative as you want.

Be as specific as possible, for someone important may recognize your genius!

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 01:33:58 AM »
I would launch squirrels at buildings. After successfully launching the squirrel through a window, you would take control of it and start stealing stuff. But then when you are doing that, a human would notice you, and then so the object of the game is to kill the squirrel. It would take place in early 1960's Burbank, California.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 01:43:16 AM »
Sudoku platformer or mahjong shmup.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 11:45:31 AM »
Be as specific as possible, for someone important may recognize your genius!
Are you soliciting people to come steal our ideas or what?
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 12:26:37 PM »
A second-person shooter.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 01:44:56 PM »
A co-op shooter where you have to build a house and then it gets attacked by millions of zombies. You can play as a Construction Worker (builds fastest), a Gun Dude (shoots best), a Chef (makes food and gets hungry less), or a Scientist (researches stuff and makes better weapons). You use pieces of surrounding junk to make your own house and fortify it, and every morning you get to make repairs and set up traps. It would have totally realistic destruction like that new Red Faction game.
every

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 03:36:15 PM »
Waluigi game! You run and jump and kick and punch just like Mario only you're Waluigi! Wa-Wa-Wa-Waluigi!
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

CrossEyed7

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 03:51:04 PM »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 04:02:27 PM »
A side-scrolling platformer-RPG that would be a cross between Ratchet and Clank and Paper Mario.  You play as a turtle that flies around the world in his bad*** airship (a turtle; imagine that!) and fights crime with a variety of weapons (some futuristic, some more medieval).  I'm thinking a toad or frog for a sidekick that pilots the airship and would maybe have to rescue the protagonist from a tight spot or two.

As you gain experience, you get stat points when you level up that you can spend on any particular stat, allowing you to influence which stats get the most points, like the Pokemon games (unlike the Pokemon games, it's a more direct influence and you wouldn't have to mess with EVs; there's also no limit to how high a stat can go, so you can make a specialized character with insanely high attack and poor defense for example).  

The sheer number and upgradeability (is that a word?  Spell Check doesn't think so) of weapons is where the Ratchet and Clank influence would be clear (and possibly in the comic mischief); there would be a lot of weapons, all able to be leveled up into deadlier forms.  I would also implement lots of different types of armor and defensive equipment with similar mechanics.  The enemies would also power up to accommodate the player's increase in power, of course, so as not to make the game too easy.

Like Super Paper Mario, however, it'd be a side-scrolling platformer-RPG as far as controls and layout go, with battles and item-collecting in real time and the ability to shift focus from gratuitous gun fighting to heavy platforming at any moment (it'd be closer to the R&C games in terms of difficulty, though - somewhere between Going Commando, which was effin' hard, and Up Your Arsenal, which was slightly on the easy side).  The story would be of middling length, with the real challenge to 100% completion coming in the form of side quests, and OH YES, there will be side quests.

Graphics would probably be cel-shaded (the characters and levels would be fairly cartoony; think the Sly Cooper games), and music would have a decidedly techno/trance feel for the most part.  

Is any of that confusing or grammatically incorrect?  Because it's hard to convey my thoughts on the matter into a systematic post.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 07:27:35 PM »
I'd have game that combines both Banjo: Nuts & Bolts and Katamari. It's a game where you can build all sorts of vehicles with all sorts of functions except the parts can be any object you find lying around the game's world.

a Chef (makes food and gets hungry less)

:D

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 12:19:14 AM »
I've been working on an RPG Maker project for the past 8 years or so. I'm really close to finishing it. While I used a lot of premade resources for it, I did set out to at least try and make the plotline as good as I could. On another note, the soundtrack to it is all made up of various songs from other video games. It's my own little personal tribute to video game music. I did a testrunn through it up to chapter 8, and it was clocked in at almost 30 hours. Take into account that I was the creator of the game, and that there's still another whole chapter, plus sidequests and postgame events, the game will likely take a good 40 hours to play through entirely. If anyone's at all interested, I even have a wiki page for it.

http://rpgmaker.wikia.com/wiki/Legend_of_Dralagenil_II

Go there and check it out.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 08:12:19 AM »
Dead or Alive: Extreme Beach Volleyball stole my first idea.

My second idea, however (among many), would be a 2D platformer with water balloons as the main weapon. Not just water balloons, though, ones full of fire, grenades, ice, spikes... elemental stuff like that, and you'd really have to use your head to get through the level because there would be lots of possibilities (use fire balloons to melt plastic blocks or turn a desert tornado into a glass spiral staircase, use water balloons to fill a spike-bottomed pool or make a paper barrier soggy enough to break though; stuff like that).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 03:28:48 PM »
A second-person shooter
Brilliant. You would assume control of a generic enemy grunt in hopes of dispatching or diverting the attention of fellow enemies long enough for "your" CPU-controlled hero to complete the mission, all the while avoiding said hero's attacks.

Go there and check it out.

I'm really diggin' this map, Foresy Guy.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 03:35:25 PM »
Brilliant. You would assume control of a generic enemy grunt in hopes of dispatching or diverting the attention of fellow enemies long enough for "your" CPU-controlled hero to complete the mission, all the while avoiding said hero's attacks.
When I think second-person shooter, I think "controlling one character but from the point of view of another" - which has already been done, sort of.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 03:38:36 PM »
Yeah, I would expect it to be from the point of view of the guy about to get/getting shot. But you're still controlling the shooter, I guess.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 07:29:17 PM »
I also had this other idea for a Bowser game where your goal is to arrange the enemies and traps in a way that the CPU-controlled Mario loses. It's similar to the above-mentioned SPS idea.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 07:43:58 PM »
A Mario-themed tower defense game, then. I'm surprised one hasn't been announced for WiiWare or DSiWare yet.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 10:02:55 PM »
I remember an article on some site musing about a second-person (FPS) game. The closest I've ever seen to something like that is the battle with Krayyk (or whatever--the crab guy) in Phantom Hourglass or Clairvoyance in Psychonauts.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 10:09:43 PM »
When I think second-person shooter, I think "controlling one character but from the point of view of another" - which has already been done, sort of.
There's also that one boss in Phantom Hourglass where you can't see the boss but the other screen is from the boss's POV. I don't recall there being any plot justification for that, but it was pretty cool.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 10:21:22 PM »
I can't help but wonder if Weegee is being sarcastic or not. I like my map. I made it with crummy painting tools in Photoshop, because when my friend testplayed the game, he said it was confusing to get around since there's so many different areas. That's the actual in-game map you view on the menu. I'm not an artist and never claimed to be one.
= = = = = = =

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 11:17:42 PM »
I'll meet you halfway: The artistry is indeed possibly less-than-professional, although the layout and areas are creative and intruiging.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2009, 12:52:12 AM »
I'd also like to point this out because I know eventually someone here will notice it and bust my chops over it.
On that map, one of the areas is called the "Barons of King". I'm well aware that I misspelled it, as I made that map like 5 years ago and had found out that was incorrect since then. In-game the correct version "Barrens of King" is used. I just never got around to fixing the map, since I forgot about it until now.
= = = = = = =

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2009, 01:00:19 AM »
A Team Fortress 2-esque Super Smash Brothers Brawl!

Wario would be the Heavy (because he's fat and eats stuff).

Yoshi would be the Pyro (because he's sort of mute and can breathe fire).

Kirby would be the Spy (because he can don disguises).

Snake would be the Soldier (because he can shoot rockets).

Peach would be the Medic (because she can heal herself with her Final Smash).

Sonic would be the Scout (because he's fast).

Link would be the Sniper (because he has a bow and arrow).

Pikachu would be the Engineer (because he's an "electrician" and is very short).

Wolf would be the Demoman (because he has an eyepatch and uses smartbombs).

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2009, 06:43:07 AM »
Dude, your version of the KirbySpy sounds more like Alex Mercer than anything.
every

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 11:05:14 AM »
I've always found Snake as the Spy better, with Samus Soldier.

...also, even though he's not in Brawl, Dr. Mario Medic. C'mooooooon.
No! I don't want that!

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 01:51:51 PM »
Sorry for the month-long bump, but I felt this was necessary. Many topics are created just like this one, but then it dies out and another topic just like it replaces it. After a while, this can get somewhat redundant. That is why I've taken the liberty of bumping this topic.

Anyway, I thought of this game called "The Tale of Shonen". Yeah, cliche title, I know. I was at a loss for ideas when I came up with it. Well, back to the game. It's basically one of the most comical RPGs sense EarthBound. It stars this dude named Shonen who lives in a different galaxy/universe than ours. In his world, what is different time periods here are just different regions of the planet. Y'know, the dystopia, the medieval kingdom, the modern downtown square, etc. This random guy named Toma assaults his friend, who proceeds to randomly spout out cliche plot events due to brain damage from Toma's attack (Toma hit him in the head with a hammer repeatedly, his survival was beyond a miracle,). Shonen's friend discovers that they are in an RPG after random cliches that he mentioned earlier begin happening nearby and that Shonen randomly can perform magic spells, so he must be the main hero, and that the only way to be free of the curse of having the horrible occupation of "Terrible Amateur RPG Main Protagonist" is to defeat some lame typical RPG Villain. So, Shonen goes on to do this, but over time learns of Toma's conquest and sees what he does to the land, so the game becomes less about Shonen trying to be free from his generic hero status, and more about him trying to punish Toma for what terrible things he is causing during his reign. Of course, you get more party members, learn magic, and fight a group of 5 people known as "The Big Bad Bunch" who try to be a band of evil villains but usually fail due to due their own incompetence as bosses. For weapons...swords, staffs, and more obligatory cliche RPG weapons. The enemies are based off of their own environment and time period, and are largely unoriginal on purpose. The music is made up of some RPG Maker 2003 songs. As in, the ones that came with the program. Or whatever. Of course, all I really have is a concept, but I hope that later on I can make this a reality, although I'll probably realize how terrible this is then.

I really like your project, Forest Guy. Are those mountains at the top supposed to be Yoshi's Island homages, or is that just a coincidence?
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 12:03:10 PM »
I'd make this RPG where you play as a rapper who gets sent to medieval times to fulfill his destiny and start a peasant uprising. The battles would consist of improvised rap battles between the player and the enemy where the player has to use a mic to spit procedurally-generated rhymes as dictated by the game. As the main character gains levels, you gain more complexity levels for your rhymes that can be switched on the fly; you start off with easy, relatively hackneyed rhymes and subject matter, and then can move up to more obtuse and complex lyrics. Experience points are accrued faster for harder rhymes, but are more difficult to pull off (sort of like the custom difficulty levels in TWEWY).

Eventually, other musicians join your party. Your DJ lays down beats to give your lyrics more structure, and a coin is tossed at the beginning of each battle to determine who selects the BPM (beats per minute) of the instrumentals. A slower beat means that you get better bonuses for accuracy, while a faster beat gives bonuses for complexity. A guitarist, bassist, and live drummer can further augment your group's various abilities.

Boss battles would utilize prescripted rhymes for the boss; each boss would be voiced by a famous rapper or hip-hop personalty. For example, Rakim might challenge the main guy to a rap battle, Z-Trip might play a DJ who forces the player to rhyme over his beats, Ryu and Tak of Styles of Beyond would be an evil two-headed rap demon, and Tay Zonday would be the most powerful being in extistance and be a bonus boss. Other quests would include things like demonstrating to an old man that his preconceived notions about hip-hop are wrong (rap only about positive subjects for the duration of your song), or helping a kid come up with new rhymes, or preforming for a peasant block party.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 05:49:53 PM »
That's actually a brilliant idea, Glorb.

Anyone care to wager how long it'll be before EA decides to put out a Rock Band-based RPG?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 06:36:02 PM »
14000 years.
That was a joke.

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2009, 06:42:38 PM »
Medieval time-travel aspect aside, that sounds like a surefire hit, Glorb.

By the way, since when does Tay Zonday rap?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2009, 06:44:26 PM »
(For anyone who didn't notice, Glorb's idea is largely a ripoff of BrĆ¼tal Legend.)

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2009, 09:42:03 PM »
In my game you would fly on a kite through the sky. The environments would range from small village to loose forest. You'd carpet bomb everything you see by hand. Whoever destroys the most stuff wins.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2009, 01:53:51 PM »
(For anyone who didn't notice, Glorb's idea is largely a ripoff of BrĆ¼tal Legend.)

Except for the game genre, music genre, tone, control input, and entire gameplay system, yeah, it's a very large ripoff.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2009, 02:02:30 PM »
I had a couple game ideas as a kid that have, shall we say, been "taken" over. One was "SimFish", where you'd, like, build your own reef and fill it with all kinds of undersea life--I saw some DS game like "My Aquarium" or something like that at Game Crazy the other day that was basically that (though I knew the concept had already been done).

One idea I came up with, though, was going to basically be a 2-D platformer/racing game. Another was a more complex, full-length game built around the concept of those "Purple Pipe Puzzles" (as I like to call them) in Wario Land 4.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2009, 02:31:20 PM »
I used to have a computer program where you put together an aquarium in pretend-3D and the fish lived in real time. Ate up a lot of the processor, though, especially on a computer back then. For a while, my mom was always worried that Age of Empires would do the same thing when she played it, since it's "real-time strategy".

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 02:50:42 PM »
Except for the game genre, music genre, tone, control input, and entire gameplay system, yeah, it's a very large ripoff.
And yet the plot (someone involved with music gets sent back to medieval times to fulfill his destiny and start a peasant uprising) is almost identical, which is just enough for a lawsuit nowadays.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 03:12:19 PM »
I threw that in there when it realized it needed a plot. I actually thought it sounded more like a Red Faction ripoff (subtract the time travel and music, replace medieval peasants with miners and it sounds pretty similar).
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2009, 04:26:29 PM »
Maybe you could change the plot so he gets sent to the future instead...?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2009, 09:20:06 PM »
The post-apocalyptic future, where technology has been destroyed and civilization is back to a medieval level!
That was a joke.

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2009, 09:30:26 PM »
That's actually pretty intense.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2009, 11:29:17 PM »
It's actually a ripoff of NausicaƤ and stuff.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2009, 11:35:52 PM »
Just enough for a lawsuit nowa-wait, scratch that. No one has cornered the post-apocalyptic futures market yet.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2009, 12:58:45 AM »
Um, are you sure? Do you pay attention to any fiction?
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2009, 01:19:13 AM »
I'm almost certain there's a misunderstanding here, though I don't know who's misunderstanding who. I'm trying to say that it's been a common plot device in sci-fi for a long time now and it's a bit late for any lawsuit due to copyright infringement, short of outright plagiarism.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2009, 08:21:12 AM »
NausicaƤ
I haven't watched--let alone learned how to pronounce--that movie yet...

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2009, 07:09:52 PM »
The movie is great, but the manga is better.
The umlaut doesn't affect pronunciation, really.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2009, 09:10:39 PM »
So it's pronounced "NAH-sic-aah", then?

Also, I didn't know it was based on a manga (or is it vice-versa)...

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2009, 11:36:30 PM »
Correct.
Yes, Miyazaki started writing the manga before he made the movie, but he didn't finish the manga until 1994.
That was a joke.

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2009, 04:13:49 PM »
Here are some games I'd like to see:

1. Super Mario 64 for 2 players: Players alternate turns (whenever someone gets a star or dies). In addition, there are some areas that can be played together (Bowser battles and slides come to mind; the two players could race each other on the slides for turns much like the Mario Bros minigame in SMB3). I actually proposed this idea way back in 1997 when I first got SM64.

2. Mario is Missing Without Geography: The game would be in the style of SMW and would have the premise that Bowser kidnapped Mario. Luigi would be player one's character and player two would have Peach. Yoshi would be available from eggs found in boxes much like in SMW.

3. SimSchool. It would be a lot like SimCity except you have to run a school system. You could choose between public and private, pick an area to live in to choose your population, make decisions regarding teachers based on performance, and choose your administrators. I came up with this idea in fifth grade, when I wasn't exactly a fan of the school I was at.

4. Earthbound Advance. Basically, bring the old game to GBA.

5. Super Mario GBA Advance. See above.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2009, 04:30:54 PM »
3. SimSchool.
This is one I'm surprised was never made. It's actually a really good idea.
4. Earthbound Advance. Basically, bring the old game to GBA.
MOTHER 1 & 2. Japan-only, but there's a translation patch in progress.
5. Super Mario GBA Advance. See above.
Classic NES Series: Super Mario Bros. fits this, unless you wanted enhanced graphics. Also, "GBA Advance" is redundant.

« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2009, 04:37:29 PM »
3. SimSchool. It would be a lot like SimCity except you have to run a school system. You could choose between public and private, pick an area to live in to choose your population, make decisions regarding teachers based on performance, and choose your administrators. I came up with this idea in fifth grade, when I wasn't exactly a fan of the school I was at.
Doesn't sound half bad. Considering all the other Sim games at the time, I wouldn't have been surprised if they went in that direction. Of course you can start disasters like... er, I better not touch that. Maybe have the chemistry room blow up or a teacher fall asleep. And I'm betting the school basketball mascot will be a llama.

I did briefly imagine a SimAnt 64, but having an ant's enlarged face on the intro screen like Super Mario 64 was too scary.

I also imagined a game where you designed a movie, designed the box for the VHS tape, and then had it evaluated by an audience. Closest thing I can think to that is Lionhead's The Movies.

Back in the day I figured that if I didn't see a game at a store, then it didn't exist. So I'm surprised that many Sim games like SimGolf and SimMars were made. And you barely see any reviews for them these days.

... There needs to be a Sim-"Mad Scientist" game. You create creatures from various objects (animal parts, household objects, whatever), put in any one of several brains, and watch it do its stuff. Like Spore but creepier.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 04:49:37 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2009, 05:36:57 PM »
I made a typo there with "Super Mario GBA Advance"--I meant it to say RPG, not GBA. Sorry for the confusion.

Actually, the Classic NES Series was redundant in of itself because they already had SMB Deluxe for GBC. I've got SMB Deluxe so I never got the Classic NES Series game when it came out and wondered why they would remake SMB1 without enhanced graphics when the other games basically got their SMAS graphics and sound re-used.

Don't forget "teacher strike" under the disasters menu for SimSchool. It could be a lot like the rioters in SC2K. In addition to chemistry room fire, how about home ec dryer fire? We had that happen when I was in high school--the entire school got evacuated on a day when we had a snow delay and it was about 15 degrees out (and no, we couldn't go and get our jackets). The morale of the students would be affected (think SimTower here--students could turn pink or red on the map if their stress level/morale was bad).

And yes, a llama would have to be the default mascot. It just wouldn't be a Sim game without llamas. Perhaps the students could also have the art of "reticulating splines" in the curriculum.

SimAnt 64 would have been interesting. I've got it for the computer although I did hear there was an SNES version. SimAnt would have been a good GBA title and SimAnt 64, well, that would have been pretty cool, especially if you got to actually play as the ant. How about SimAnt with an RPG style battle system?

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2009, 07:57:01 PM »
A completely new Mario 3D platformer with ultra-realistic graphics and no new characters that look like they could have come out of a 6-year-old's TV show.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 02:35:57 PM by jdaster64 »
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2009, 09:04:59 PM »
A completely new Mario 3D platformer with ultra-realistic graphics and no characters that look like they could have come out of a 6-year-old's TV show.

Wait, does that mean we get to see a computer-animated Bob Hoskins?

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2009, 05:16:34 PM »
no characters that look like they could have come out of a 6-year-old's TV show.

WE HATE OUR LIVES

« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2009, 06:56:15 PM »
Doesn't sound half bad. Considering all the other Sim games at the time, I wouldn't have been surprised if they went in that direction. Of course you can start disasters like... er, I better not touch that. Maybe have the chemistry room blow up or a teacher fall asleep. And I'm betting the school basketball mascot will be a llama.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's a game called School Tycoon which I used to own, and yeah it's pretty much how you described it, however, it lacks certain features of Sims games that it should have. And it does have a disaster thing though.

« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2009, 08:12:06 PM »
It doesn't surprise me that they made a Tycoon game about schools. They seemed to make one of those about everything from zoos to malls. I never played a tycoon game but have always heard that they are inferior to the Sims games (I own nearly every classic Sims game--SimLife, SimEarth, SimCity, SimCity 2000, SimAnt, SimTower, SimFarm, and The Sims; all of these games are very well done and I'm almost afraid to get something non-Maxis as a result).

CrossEyed7

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2009, 08:24:33 PM »
RollerCoaster Tycoon, Railroad Tycoon, Transport Tycoon, and Zoo Tycoon are good. Everything else that I can think of is pretty meh. However, what many people don't realize is that Tycoon isn't a trademarked thingy like Sim. RCT and TT are Chris Sawyer, RT is Sid Meier, ZT is Microsoft and Blue Fang, and everything else comes from somewhere different. No actual connection between any of them.

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2009, 11:40:24 AM »
I would create a side-scrolling game where I go out to save the world from an evil corporation, hell-bent on taking over the world, by going out an facing off hoards and hoards of enemies using only my surroundings, my insane jumping skills, and my trusty U.S.M.C. knife.  In this game I would travel all around the world and buy health, increases in stamina, strength, speed, etc., and new moves from the local people there (Kind of like the stores from River City Ransom.).  How do you earn money?  Well, enemies drop things when you kill them.  These things are either cash or health packs that restore a little health when grabbed.  Every level is ended with a boss fight.  After the fight, you watch a quick cut-scene to advance the story.  Then you are taken to the stores where you can buy the things that I mentioned earlier before you move on to the next level.  All of these levels lead up to the final level: inside the corporation's H.Q.!  at the end of this very hard level you meet the C.E.O. of the evil corporation who reveals himself to be the last person you would ever expect: your BROTHER (who was mentioned in one of the earlier cut-scenes where you flashed back to your childhood)!  An epic fight ensues.  After that, a cut-scene of your brother apologizing for all he has done as he dies, and then an epilogue, you are considered the greatest hero ever, but you still weep over how you had to kill your own brother.  The end.  *credits roll*
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 11:43:00 AM by Shroomy95 »
1-UP!

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2009, 01:35:40 PM »
Tycoon isn't a trademarked thingy like Sim.

Seriously? I lost.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2009, 02:21:22 PM »
I don't know if I lost, but that's certainly, well, interesting. You'd think they (whoever they would be, in this case) would trademark that...

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2009, 11:35:57 AM »
Being the Crash aficionado that I am, I was playing Crash 2 earlier for the heck of it, and it hit me that I would love to see a Crash Bandicoot RPG (based primarily on the first three games, of course).

The overworld would probably be similar to SMRPG or M&L:SS, to allow for the incorporation of platform segments as well as typical RPG battles; Crash would be able to jump, spin, slide, and belly flop even on the main map.  Crash would start out with a basic spin attack, and get more moves, such as the slide and belly flop (which would, in addition, be usable on the overworld as well when he obtains them), as he progresses.  Gems would be currency, with colored gems worth more than the standard clear variety.  Items would be things like Wumpa Fruits for health restoration and crystals for MP/Special Attack restoration.  Certain elements of Crash games would be useful as more offensive items.  The Aku Aku mask, for example, would allow Crash to take a hit without taking any damage, or maybe reduced damage, when used; TNT crates would be thrown at enemies.

Gear would be character-specific, like the equipment in Earthbound; Coco would have stat-boosting over-alls where Crash has his trademark blue pants; while Crash might have his Yo-yo, Coco would carry her laptop.  Things like that.

Party member options are a bit scarce, but Coco, at least, is a given (she might be the Jeff Andonuts to Crash's Ness).  Crash would perhaps befriend Polar at some point and be able to ride him to move around the overworld faster (and maybe summon him in battle), with the added benefit of letting the player jump farther (with a running start?).  Overworld areas would also contain a set number of crates; when Crash breaks all of them, he'll get a bonus of gems or items, and it would count toward overall game completion percentage.

The plot could be anything, but given the nature of the series, Cortex is guaranteed to be the villain, probably accompanied by his usual lackeys such as N. Gin, Tiny Tiger, and Ripper Roo.  Lesser enemies would be wild animals and Cortex's evil mutants; I'm thinking ones similar to the foes in Crash 2, which require certain types of attacks to defeat (for example, the enemy might have spikes protruding from its sides, necessitating a jump attack instead of a spin).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Print