Print

Author Topic: Your own video game  (Read 15004 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 07:29:17 PM »
I also had this other idea for a Bowser game where your goal is to arrange the enemies and traps in a way that the CPU-controlled Mario loses. It's similar to the above-mentioned SPS idea.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 07:43:58 PM »
A Mario-themed tower defense game, then. I'm surprised one hasn't been announced for WiiWare or DSiWare yet.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 10:02:55 PM »
I remember an article on some site musing about a second-person (FPS) game. The closest I've ever seen to something like that is the battle with Krayyk (or whatever--the crab guy) in Phantom Hourglass or Clairvoyance in Psychonauts.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 10:09:43 PM »
When I think second-person shooter, I think "controlling one character but from the point of view of another" - which has already been done, sort of.
There's also that one boss in Phantom Hourglass where you can't see the boss but the other screen is from the boss's POV. I don't recall there being any plot justification for that, but it was pretty cool.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 10:21:22 PM »
I can't help but wonder if Weegee is being sarcastic or not. I like my map. I made it with crummy painting tools in Photoshop, because when my friend testplayed the game, he said it was confusing to get around since there's so many different areas. That's the actual in-game map you view on the menu. I'm not an artist and never claimed to be one.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 11:17:42 PM »
I'll meet you halfway: The artistry is indeed possibly less-than-professional, although the layout and areas are creative and intruiging.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2009, 12:52:12 AM »
I'd also like to point this out because I know eventually someone here will notice it and bust my chops over it.
On that map, one of the areas is called the "Barons of King". I'm well aware that I misspelled it, as I made that map like 5 years ago and had found out that was incorrect since then. In-game the correct version "Barrens of King" is used. I just never got around to fixing the map, since I forgot about it until now.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2009, 01:00:19 AM »
A Team Fortress 2-esque Super Smash Brothers Brawl!

Wario would be the Heavy (because he's fat and eats stuff).

Yoshi would be the Pyro (because he's sort of mute and can breathe fire).

Kirby would be the Spy (because he can don disguises).

Snake would be the Soldier (because he can shoot rockets).

Peach would be the Medic (because she can heal herself with her Final Smash).

Sonic would be the Scout (because he's fast).

Link would be the Sniper (because he has a bow and arrow).

Pikachu would be the Engineer (because he's an "electrician" and is very short).

Wolf would be the Demoman (because he has an eyepatch and uses smartbombs).

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2009, 06:43:07 AM »
Dude, your version of the KirbySpy sounds more like Alex Mercer than anything.
every

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 11:05:14 AM »
I've always found Snake as the Spy better, with Samus Soldier.

...also, even though he's not in Brawl, Dr. Mario Medic. C'mooooooon.
No! I don't want that!

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 01:51:51 PM »
Sorry for the month-long bump, but I felt this was necessary. Many topics are created just like this one, but then it dies out and another topic just like it replaces it. After a while, this can get somewhat redundant. That is why I've taken the liberty of bumping this topic.

Anyway, I thought of this game called "The Tale of Shonen". Yeah, cliche title, I know. I was at a loss for ideas when I came up with it. Well, back to the game. It's basically one of the most comical RPGs sense EarthBound. It stars this dude named Shonen who lives in a different galaxy/universe than ours. In his world, what is different time periods here are just different regions of the planet. Y'know, the dystopia, the medieval kingdom, the modern downtown square, etc. This random guy named Toma assaults his friend, who proceeds to randomly spout out cliche plot events due to brain damage from Toma's attack (Toma hit him in the head with a hammer repeatedly, his survival was beyond a miracle,). Shonen's friend discovers that they are in an RPG after random cliches that he mentioned earlier begin happening nearby and that Shonen randomly can perform magic spells, so he must be the main hero, and that the only way to be free of the curse of having the horrible occupation of "Terrible Amateur RPG Main Protagonist" is to defeat some lame typical RPG Villain. So, Shonen goes on to do this, but over time learns of Toma's conquest and sees what he does to the land, so the game becomes less about Shonen trying to be free from his generic hero status, and more about him trying to punish Toma for what terrible things he is causing during his reign. Of course, you get more party members, learn magic, and fight a group of 5 people known as "The Big Bad Bunch" who try to be a band of evil villains but usually fail due to due their own incompetence as bosses. For weapons...swords, staffs, and more obligatory cliche RPG weapons. The enemies are based off of their own environment and time period, and are largely unoriginal on purpose. The music is made up of some RPG Maker 2003 songs. As in, the ones that came with the program. Or whatever. Of course, all I really have is a concept, but I hope that later on I can make this a reality, although I'll probably realize how terrible this is then.

I really like your project, Forest Guy. Are those mountains at the top supposed to be Yoshi's Island homages, or is that just a coincidence?
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 12:03:10 PM »
I'd make this RPG where you play as a rapper who gets sent to medieval times to fulfill his destiny and start a peasant uprising. The battles would consist of improvised rap battles between the player and the enemy where the player has to use a mic to spit procedurally-generated rhymes as dictated by the game. As the main character gains levels, you gain more complexity levels for your rhymes that can be switched on the fly; you start off with easy, relatively hackneyed rhymes and subject matter, and then can move up to more obtuse and complex lyrics. Experience points are accrued faster for harder rhymes, but are more difficult to pull off (sort of like the custom difficulty levels in TWEWY).

Eventually, other musicians join your party. Your DJ lays down beats to give your lyrics more structure, and a coin is tossed at the beginning of each battle to determine who selects the BPM (beats per minute) of the instrumentals. A slower beat means that you get better bonuses for accuracy, while a faster beat gives bonuses for complexity. A guitarist, bassist, and live drummer can further augment your group's various abilities.

Boss battles would utilize prescripted rhymes for the boss; each boss would be voiced by a famous rapper or hip-hop personalty. For example, Rakim might challenge the main guy to a rap battle, Z-Trip might play a DJ who forces the player to rhyme over his beats, Ryu and Tak of Styles of Beyond would be an evil two-headed rap demon, and Tay Zonday would be the most powerful being in extistance and be a bonus boss. Other quests would include things like demonstrating to an old man that his preconceived notions about hip-hop are wrong (rap only about positive subjects for the duration of your song), or helping a kid come up with new rhymes, or preforming for a peasant block party.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 05:49:53 PM »
That's actually a brilliant idea, Glorb.

Anyone care to wager how long it'll be before EA decides to put out a Rock Band-based RPG?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 06:36:02 PM »
14000 years.
That was a joke.

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2009, 06:42:38 PM »
Medieval time-travel aspect aside, that sounds like a surefire hit, Glorb.

By the way, since when does Tay Zonday rap?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print