Print

Author Topic: Why Pokémon Sucks (And What Won't Be Done To Fix It)  (Read 64120 times)

Jman

• Score
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2010, 10:58:35 AM »
Electrode, Diglett, Nidoran, Mankey
Venusaur, Rattata, Fearow, Pidgey
Seaking, Jolteon, Dragonite, Gastly
Ponyta, Vaporeon, Polywrath, Butterfree!

Yes, that was from memory..
* Toad blushes[/size]

My wife and I still play. I just got Soul Silver, and she might get Heart Gold. We are so close to completeing the PkeDex in the Diamond/Pearl games (Just over 100 left!! I've never been so close, ever))

I managed to get about 275 (more or less) in Platinum before Soul Silver came out.  My one true Pokemon gaming buddy has 403 in his Diamond Pokedex. 
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2010, 11:00:19 AM »
I do like that pretty much the only Pokemon you can't get in HG/SS besides event-only
'mons are the Regis and a couple of the Sinnoh Starters.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2010, 03:57:08 PM »
It's awesome that an anti-Pokemon thread has been overtaken to discuss achievements in said series. Aside from completing the regional Dex in Sapphire, I've never come close to catching 'em all.

I do like that pretty much the only Pokemon you can't get in HG/SS besides event-only 'mons are the Regis and a couple of the Sinnoh Starters.

Better yet, most missing entries can be filled without player-to-player trading, by means of the Pal Park.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2010, 04:02:09 PM »
Even then, it's obvious that Game Freak has lessened the emphasis on/need for the Pal Park in the new games, probably due to the DSi's lack of a GBA slot.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2010, 04:12:32 PM »
Weegee, your mistake was in thinking this was an anti-Pokémon thread to start. It was a thread about things the series does wrong - way wrong, in many cases - and some ways to fix them.

And so many Pokémon being available in a single game is a good thing, but it still needs to be all of them available in one game (or pair of games, more likely, because trading and money). Otherwise Turtlekid will complain about something he brings upon himself.

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2010, 04:18:30 PM »
Yeah, I figured you'd call me out on that. I merely couldn't be bothered to type out, "a thread which brings up criticisms regarding the Pokemon series' style of gameplay and offers remedies for those aforementioned issues".

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2010, 05:28:53 PM »
My favorite part about the whiny fans is when most of them make suggestions that go completely against the point of these games. Like a single player 3D RPG that lets you travel all regions and capture multiples of every single Pokemon. Or when they want to throw in political warfare or murder or some other evil element to make the series feel mature.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2010, 06:46:10 PM »
Pokémon games are already single-player RPGs aside from trading and battles anyway, and the games could work in 3D as long as they still kept the main-series concept of the player controlling a trainer (giving orders and using items) rather than the Pokémon.
Having all regions would be unnecessary if you had a region large and varied enough that it could feasibly contain over five hundred kinds of Pokémon (counting fifth-gen). This includes legendaries, even the gods introduced in Sinnoh - who's to say that something that's revered in one region can't be relatively mundane in another? (Cows are a good real-world example of this.)
My suggestion for randomized legendaries through special dungeons could theoretically allow for multiples of legendaries, though it could possibly be set up so it'd just be the ones where there could be more than one in existence without screwing up the narrative, such as Manaphy or Deoxys.
While those sorts of ideas for plot points probably wouldn't work in a Pokémon game, there's nothing wrong with the idea of a more mature plot, if done the way Pixar movies often have mature plots while still being suitable for younger audiences.

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2010, 08:12:07 PM »
You're confusing the right definition of mature with the wrong definition that has proliferated through these children.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2010, 08:32:12 PM »
Indeed, several Legendary Pokemon have already been alluded to being just one of an entire species. Aside from ancient, mythical 'Mons like Arceus and Celebi, a considerable number of them could be demoted to semi-Legendary status with the likes of Rotom and Heatran.

It's disheartening to see the series become progressively more childish with every new instalment. While Team Rocket was a Marowak-killing, Slowpoke-poaching criminal powerhouse with realistic motives, Team Galactic was an incredulous sci-fi troupe which ultimately reproached its evil ways in a cheeseball conclusion suitable for a Disney flick. Similarly, as of HG/SS, the Game Corner's slot machines have been removed, and the building's sign now reads, "A safe and sound playground!" Lastly, the perverted old man who once peered through the Celadon Gym's windows and commented, "This gym is great! It's full of women!" now rather says, "It's full of strong trainers!"

Pitiful, isn't it?

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2010, 09:43:02 PM »
You seem to ignore that a large part of Pokemon's audience is kids.

Besides, its a mini-game you wouldn't have played in the first place. Get over it.

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2010, 09:50:53 PM »
You seem to ignore that a large part of Pokemon's audience is kids.

I'm well aware of that, but Game Freak has no reason to be toning the plot's edge down further every time.

Besides, its a mini-game you wouldn't have played in the first place. Get over it.

It's not the minigame itself; it's the statement its puts across by replacing the slot machines. Game Freak is making itself into society's *****.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2010, 10:46:16 PM »
Dude, Team Galactic's head almost destroyed the universe in Platinum. And he didn't just stand there in a building and relent on his plans when you beat him. You had to chase him into another dimension to take him down.

And the choice would have been editing the game or not getting it released (or not getting it released with a rating that actually fits the game; I don't know how the EU's laws there work). Huge difference between not wanting to fight the law (because no matter how popular Pokémon is, the law would certainly win) and "making itself into society's *****."

(For the record, the Japanese versions of the remakes included wine glasses on tables in one location. Those were edited for the US version, probably because what the ESRB defines as "Alcohol References" would've bumped the game up to a T rating.)

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2010, 06:35:20 PM »
I hate Tv Tropes and its userbase as well.

Seriously, though. I know people have opinions, but this topic seems to scream troll in my face for some reason.
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2010, 06:38:02 PM »
Warp's gonna go bat[dukar] on you for accusing him of trolling.

Print