Print

Author Topic: Console sales for 2002...  (Read 1502 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: October 17, 2002, 01:25:43 PM »
Games console sales hit 41.9M Units
10.17.2002 @ 09:23 AM

Strategy Analytics, the global research and consulting company, today released its latest global forecasts for advanced games consoles. The report, released to subscribers to the Strategy Analytics Broadband Device Strategies service, predicts global shipments of 41.9 million units in 2002, an increase of 84 percent over the 2001 level. Sony's PlayStation 2 (PS2) console is expected to account for 63 percent of sales, followed by Nintendo's GameCube with 21 percent and Microsoft's XBox with 16 percent.

The research highlights the domination of the Sony system. By the end of this year, 72 percent of global cumulative shipments will be PS2 systems, compared to 16 percent GameCube and 12 percent XBox.

This report determines that the games console market is entering a critical three-month period which could determine success or failure for both GameCube and XBox. Several factors lead to the conclusion that Nintendo will probably exit the console market since the survival threshold for any game platform is now in the region of 15-20 million systems deployed. This continues to rise as games development costs increase. Furthermore, in spite of Xbox's slow start, Microsoft will continue to commit the funds necessary to evolve their Xbox platform into a full-fledged broadband home entertainment system.

"This is a race for second place," says David Mercer, Vice President, Broadband Practice at Strategy Analytics. "The question now is whether the market can sustain three players in the longer term."
--- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Note: This quote from the article "Nintendo will probably exit the console market since the survival threshold for any game platform is now in the region of 15-20 million systems deployed." may eventually become true if Nintendo doesn't do something to keep the sales at a steady pace with Xbox and PS2...

Nintendo is in a bit of trouble right now...becuase many gamers are still uncertain about the future direction the company will take with videogames.

Xbox has been selling at a steady rapid pace since it's launch. Though it's nowhere as near the success of Sony's STUPID PS2, it's still a good start for Microsoft - considering this is their very first videogame console...

People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2002, 10:35:30 PM »
I don't understand why people didn't just stick with Nintendo, good old Nintendo, who gave them endless hours of fun before PlayStation came along.
You know, what really burns me up is how Sony left Nintendo after they had collaborated to make a 32-bit add-on to the SNES which was called PlayStation. Arrgh
I'm going to be very disappointed if Nintendo gets beat out...
But look! They've got Namco, they're working with Square again... If only Rare hadn't turned to the Dark Side...
It would be a pitiful disgrace if we actually had to play Mario, Zelda, Starfox, F-Zero, the multitude of titles Nintendo has, on other systems. Unthinkable...

None shall dispute my word!
Dedo jxucc tajfiko mo neht!

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 10/17/2002 9:39:21 PM
That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2002, 10:57:52 AM »
Sony is NOT losing support, the PS2 is still selling like wildfire and is actually getting a bunch of new games this holiday season! Good job Sony!

I hope Microsoft quits production of the Xbox soon, because it was a bad timing for them to enter the console market with the tight competition from Sony. Sales of the Xbox over in Japan are basically non-existant! If Microsoft fails to gain strong sales of the Xbox in Japan (and Europe), then I'm pretty sure the Xbox won't be around for too much longer...

Nintendo, on the bright side of things, is having strong sales of GameCube units in Japan as well as in the U.S. Super Mario Sunshine was the killer app the 'Cube needed to boost sales, and it worked perfectly! Now I hope The Legend of Zelda and Metroid Prime games will do the same to boost sales even more...

Edited by - Mario Maniac on 10/21/2002 10:03:11 AM
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2002, 10:35:27 PM »
Hear, hear!
That was a joke.

Print