Print

Author Topic: Why call it Game Boy?  (Read 5229 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: March 25, 2003, 12:15:02 PM »
I think Game Boy is a silly name to call a gaming system. It kind of gives the impression that it's a system designed for children, which is NOT true at all! I think Nintendo should rename their next handheld system...

Maybe call it "Pocket-N"

=============================================

People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don''t like Nintendo obviously don''t like video games.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 03:34:22 PM »
I remember telling all my mates in primary school that there was a new, improved Gameboy called "Gamegirl" to see if they would believe me. They did! They all flocked to the nearest toys'R'us to buy it. Boy, did I get beatings when they found out...
I like the name, personally. It's catchy and I think the "boy" is not meant to symbolise the target age of the handheld but is more an indication of its small size. Anyway, names don't matter (I think that "x-box" is a good console name but I wouldn't be seen dead with that doorstop).  
An animator once saw a street bum, "Mario" Pedianni, and wanted to use his likeness in a cartoon, offering him a percentage of all future royalties or a bottle of cheap scotch. Pedianni took the scotch. Nothing''s stupider than a skid row plumber.

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 03:34:32 PM »
I remember telling all my mates in primary school that there was a new, improved Gameboy called "Gamegirl" to see if they would believe me. They did! They all flocked to the nearest toys'R'us to buy it. Boy, did I get beatings when they found out...
I like the name, personally. It's catchy and I think the "boy" is not meant to symbolise the target age of the handheld but is more an indication of its small size. Anyway, names don't matter (I think that "x-box" is a good console name but I wouldn't be seen dead with that doorstop).  
An animator once saw a street bum, "Mario" Pedianni, and wanted to use his likeness in a cartoon, offering him a percentage of all future royalties or a bottle of cheap scotch. Pedianni took the scotch. Nothing''s stupider than a skid row plumber.

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2003, 03:41:14 PM »
I think Nintendo just couldn't come up with a better name. They could have added a clock fceature and called the Super Game & Watch though.

Scratch here to reveal prize!

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 06:22:11 PM »
Gameboy is cool.  They probably wouldn't change it now, though.

Pocket-N actually sounds cool, but sound to much like the Nokia N-Gage.
 n/a

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 06:43:22 PM »
you'd think, that with all of its incarnations, they would call it a game man.
But the target customers probably were kids. on top of that, it's the smaller "Kid brother" to nintendo's consoles.

The world would be a much cleaner place if people would eat their own trash.
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2003, 11:06:13 PM »
Geez guys, can't you tell what a snappy name that is? Like they're even going to change it now...
And Mario Maniac, what's your problem with the name anyway? Don't you know that the Game Boy is the highest selling system of all time? People obviously don't overanalyze the name like you are.

I fear the monkey in your soul.
That was a joke.

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2003, 05:03:00 PM »
I thought there WAS a Game Girl. I remember seeing commercials for it... And Game Boy Pocket commercials, too!

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2003, 07:54:39 PM »
I saw it when it came out a few years ago.  Wasn't it pink?
Yoshi likes to dance in his backwards saddle!

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2003, 10:03:16 AM »
Game Boy is politicaly incorect. It might make some girsl think that it's only for boys. They could call it came person, but that doesn't sound good. Game child could be a little better. But I'm for poket-N. That's a cool name!!!!!

Play my Demo!
Play my Demo!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2003, 11:36:58 PM »
You guys are insane. The name doesn't tell anyone that it's "for" someone. It's not politically incorrect, and plenty of girls have Game Boys. You guys are just being hypersensitive and this is ridiculous.

That was a joke.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2003, 09:07:02 PM »
Good lord.
Have you seen the rumors that Sony is thinking of releasing a handheld called "Play Boy"?
I can't stand it.
Not only is it a ripoff of Game Boy, but it sounds incredibly stupid as well!

That was a joke.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2003, 10:53:19 AM »
Ha ha! I could just imagine that! (Although Hugh Hefner would sue)

Actually, I like to call it Game Girl, since, well, I'm a girl and my brother thinks he's too *good* for Nintendo. (lousy PS2-only convert)

Actually, I just call it GB, GB color or GBA. (Although, I only play GBA since it can play all the other games too--and in color.) Initials are just easier.

The 1964th person
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2003, 10:59:47 AM »
I'm a girl, and honestly I really don't care what they name the system.  As long as it has quality games *hint*Mario*hint* I'm happy.

Although I DO like the name for the GCN. It's catchy, original, and fits. (Nintendo 128 would just sound lame)

Whatever. That's just me.

The 1964th person
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2003, 12:28:51 AM »
I agree.

That was a joke.

Print