Print

Author Topic: Super Mario on DS: Probable Idea?  (Read 5001 times)

« on: February 08, 2004, 12:39:50 PM »
Do any of you people believe that a Super Mario game would fit on the Nintendo DS?

I mean that could Nintendo do a Super Mario game for their new console?

If you think so, explian how...
How would two screens help in any sort of Super Mario game?

I think another Super Mario RPG is fit for the Nintendo DS...
On one screen, you'd be playing the game, and the next screen is for status of your battles, characters and ennemies...

What's your ideas?

I am a pure Super Mario lover!!
...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even drawn the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!
I am a pure Super Mario lover!! ...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even draw the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 12:58:51 PM »
About all I can think of is a Mario 64 type collection game with hints and maps for what you're trying to collect at the moment displayed on the other screen, along with health and coin count and such.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 05:09:02 PM »
I dont see how any game could use two screens. Seems like too much to pay attention to.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 09:26:10 PM »
I suppose making a Mario 64 game could be a good idea. You could have directly behind Mario and then a zoomed out angle, or maybe have one screen be a pause menu type thing.

Or maybe a side scroller Mario game in which one view shows the area where Mario is, and then another shows the screen a little further ahead than Mario.

Hey, they seem a little kooky but give it a chance. We don't know much about this console yet. WHo knows, maybe it'll have better graphics or something even better...

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 10:47:33 PM »
How about a 3D Mario game where each screen shows a different 2D perspective?  The top shows the traditional side view found in 2D Mario games, and the bottom shows a top-down view as found in 2D Zelda games.  Then it's a 3D game that plays like a classic 2D Mario sidescroller!  Just a thought.

This is not a signature.

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 02:00:19 PM »
what the heck is a DS?

Edited by - Lizard Dude on 2/10/2004 2:36:58 PM

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 07:47:13 PM »
I could imagine several RPGs that could easily make use of the dual-screened technology, including a sequel to Mario and Luigi.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 04:53:20 PM »
Or possibly a Mario Kart game in which it shows the regular behind your kart view, and then in front of your kart looking back like in Super Mario Kart.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 06:43:33 PM »
Nintendo made several LCD  "Multi Screen" games including characters like Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, etc.  The originals are rare now, but some programmers have made PC versions.  Check them out at  http://madrigal.retrogames.com although if you want to download them you might have to use the Italian mirror.  I downloaded and played Mario Bros.  On this game the screens are side by side, but other games have them over/under as I have heard will be the formate of the DS.  Since the only game for the DS Nintendo has mentioned is tennis, I have a feeling that the DS "might" have 2 player one console games.  The second screen could also be good for game text that will not cover up the action on the other screen.  Since the DS will have two ARM processors like the GBA's ARM it should be easy to program.  The programmer can treat each ARM and video out individually so that one can be set to video (mode 3-5) and the other to text or backgrounds (maps).  It would also be easy to reprogram existing or indevelopment GBA games for the DS.  For example, games like Sword of Mana have text modes layered over video modes.  It would be easy to seperate the two.  
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 07:02:00 AM »
I think the early 'multi-screened' games you're talking about which Nintendo developed are some special multi-player type Game & Watches which Nintendo released way back during the mid-eighties...

I am a pure Super Mario lover!! ...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2004, 07:09:26 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that you don't have to use both screens, but considering Mario is a Nintendo Franchise, they would probably incorporate it somehow.
 n/a

Spiky Blue Shell

• Bane of Mario Kart
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2004, 07:18:42 PM »
The only thing that I can think of right now is one screen that is an above-head view, and the other screen that has a 2-D, side-scrolling view like the older Mario games (kind of like the camera angles of Zelda II, but at the same time).

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2004, 11:55:14 AM »
I like the idea of having one screen for gameplay, and the second screen displaying status information (health, items, etc.)

First screen:
=============================================
Health: 90

Items:
Fire Flower (x2)
Super Mushroom (x4)
Starman (x3)

Second screen:

Mario moves around the level in World 1-5. He jumps over a Goomba and hits a ?-Block containing 10 Coins. Mario then runs over to a Warp Pipe, enters it, and emerges in an underground tunnle.

See my point? Put the status information on the separate screen, so it does not interfere with the gameplay.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2004, 05:39:31 PM »
I like the start screen to have character status. It seems like a waste of screens to add a second one just for stats. That would seem too distracting to have a screen that you only look at to check what you have, which I would probably pause to check anyways, to avoid danger.
Let me away from this boulder!

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2004, 06:56:55 PM »
How about a Mario game in which one screen shows the overworld, but say Mario enters a pipe to descend into the underground region of a level, then you would look at the other screen which would display the underground area where Mario is, but as you progress through there, you can see the area directly above there on the other screen and see the overworld while underground at the same time.
Sounds weird, but it could be cool.

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2004, 07:21:14 PM »
Or, a two player race, like You vs. BOO. Luigi would be on top. And Mario or whoever would be on the second screen
TMK/Fungi Forums-Maniac since 2002.

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2004, 07:21:20 PM »
Or, a two player race, like You vs. BOO. Luigi would be on top. And Mario or whoever would be on the second screen

It''s-a me, Wario. And I''ve come to take a bite out of Mario''s fame!!!
TMK/Fungi Forums-Maniac since 2002.

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2004, 06:07:37 PM »
What about a Mario Party for DS?

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2004, 07:57:02 PM »
That might be cool...

Or maybe even a Super Smash Bros...

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2004, 10:56:41 AM »
Since the DS is capable of producing Nintendo 64-like 3D graphics, we might see a few Nintendo 64 ports on it (like the Super NES Mario games on Game Boy Advance).

Here's a few games I would like to see on the DS:

N64 PORTS:
Super Mario 64
Paper Mario
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mario Party series
Super Smash Bros.

NEW GAMES:
A new 3D Mario game
A new 3D Zelda game
A new 3D Metroid game

============================================
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2004, 01:07:29 PM »
I can see Super Mario 64 on the DS, but no more than that. I don't want another Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time... I have like 4 from the original version plus bonus discs...

Now, I'd like to see a completely new Super Smash Bros. for DS. That would be splendid.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2004, 01:44:15 PM »
I want a new Mario 2d game.  It could easily have a 3d overworld like MarioRPG or Mario & Luigi, but I want 2d platform levels like SMB3 and SMW.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2004, 08:55:38 AM »
Wow! I never actually thought that most of our speculations are actually gonna come true!!

Print