Print

Author Topic: Best GCN platform games?  (Read 4833 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: November 14, 2004, 07:04:25 PM »
What do you think are the best/must-have GameCube platform games?  Why?

Which are the worst?  Why?

I put comments on the games I have or have played:

Beyond Good & Evil
Billy Hatcher & the Giant Egg (To slow in the demo.  Does it get better?)
Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath Of Cortex (Traded it after the fist few levels.)
Dr. Muto (Should I get this?)
I-Ninja
Looney Tunes: Back In Action
MegaMan Anniversary Collection (I wish I could change the buttons.)
Pac-Man World 2
Pitfall: The Lost Expedition (Should I get this?)
Prince of Persia (MY brother borrowed it before I could play it.)
Rayman 3 Hoodlum Havoc (Played several levels, but put it down when I got PM2.)
Sonic Heroes (Have it, but haven't played it.)
Sonic Adventure DX Director's Cut
Sonic Mega Collection (Had it.  Didn't care for it.  Traded it.)
Sphinx and the Crused Mummy
Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly (I liked the original PlayStation Spyro better.)
Spyro a Hero's Tail
Star Fox Adventures (Started it on my old dark TV, but couldn't see what was happening.  I should play it again.)
Super Mario Sunshine (My favorite GCN platformer.)
Tak and the Power of JuJu
Tak 2: The Staff of Dreams (Should I get this?)
Taz
Ty The Tasmanian Tiger (I loved this game.)
Ty The Tasmanian Tiger 2
Viewtiful Joe
Vexx
Wario World (Played it.  Beat it.  Okay, but not Mario caliber.)
The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker (not a platformer in the traditional sense)

I made this list, but have not played all the games on it.  Therefor, some may not be considered platformers.  I may have also left several off.  If so please let me know.

My favorites on the above list are Super Mario sunshine, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, and Rayman 3.

Edited by - Luigison on 11/14/2004 5:06:03 PM
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 09:24:19 PM »
Am I the only person at a Mario forum that likes platform games? </sarcasm>
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 10:26:01 PM »
Star Fox Adventures isn't a platformer.
That was a joke.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 11:01:21 PM »
Viewtiful Joe is a must-buy -- one of the most stylistically cool and fun games out there for any system. Raw 2D platform/beat-em-up action.

I can't understand why you didn't like Sonic Mega Collection, but to each his own. You're probably just more of a Mario-style platformer.

Definitely give Sonic Heroes a try since you haven't played it. It's about on par with Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, although of the three (I own and have beaten all three) I think Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut is the best (it also includes all 12 Sonic Game Gear Games, some of which only previously came out in Japan).

LD's Recommendation: Get Viewtiful Joe. Try Sonic Heroes. If you think Heroes is worthy, then also pick up Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut. Try to get Prince of Persia back, too, because everyone says that game is brilliant (except two people, my friend and Deezer, who say it is boring). I wouldn't worry to much about the others on the list.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 12:56:30 AM »
I-Ninja is good for its varied game play (examples are Monkey Ball and Teleroboxer inspired levels), but it wasn't a game I was able to get into easily.  Worth the current price at least.  The intro's great.

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 06:32:48 PM »
D'oh, I missed I-Ninja. Also, if you don't have Pac-Man Vs. and find the Pac-Man World 2 that contains it, get that if you want.

(I think I played two levels of PW2, but Pac-Man Vs. is 4-player genius.)

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 07:25:25 PM »
I debated over putting StarFox on the list.  My thought went something like this:  If I don't put Star Fox on the list Chupperson will complain that it is missing the best GCN game (reguardless of genre), but if I left it off he would say...

I will get PoP back when I visit for Christmas.  My Pop is for PS2.  That may be why I didn't play it before his borrowed it.  My PS2 is currently being used as a DVD player at school.

I thought the Sonic games were okay, but I prefer the Mario styled platformers.  Sonic runs to fast and misses stuff.  I would rather take my time with Mario and explore.

I had the V. Joe demo and thought it was okay, but my brother loved it.  I gave him the demo and planned on either getting him a couple of GCN games or a GBA and some GBA games for Christmas.  I am giving him a GBAsp, Mario & Luigi, and one more game (I will make another post about it).

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 11:07:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure Viewtiful Joe is the best GCN platformer I've played. Because that's just what it is, a solid 2D platformer with tons of cool stuff.

The fast pace riding on a horse bets a slow boat anyday.
That was a joke.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 07:27:36 AM »
I LOVED the Sonic Genesis games, so Sonic Mega Collection was right up my alley. I don't have anything to say about Viewtiful Joe that CW hasn't already. Super Mario Sunshine was fun but was a little too short and to similar to SM64.

Time slowed and Reality bent.
But on and on the Eggman went.

Sqrt2

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 07:51:20 AM »
I prefer Super Mario Sunshine as it has challenged my (admittedly weak) platforming skills to the max.

Nothing is impossible. My boss told me so.
AA fanboy and proud!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 06:28:30 PM »
I liked Super Mario Sunshine the best, but you should know the only other games I have for the GCN are SSBM, MG:TT, and MK:DD.  ARGH!  I must have Sonic Mega Collection! Or Paper Mario 2.

Enjoy life.  There''s plenty of time to be dead.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 08:26:16 PM »
I liked Super Mario Sunshine too, and not just becuase it was surprisingly challenging (those crazy blue coins...), but becuase I enjoyed the versatility of the water pump.

EDIT: On a side note, I've beaten it twice (120 shines, yeah!). I think I beat SM64 7 times. I loved that game.

Edited by - Suffix on 11/19/2004 6:40:12 PM

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 08:32:59 PM »
Super Mario Sunshine was crazily hard, and as of this day i still am nowhere near 120 shines.  It was a good game, but it could've been better.  Lost magic in some places fairly quickly, similar to sm64, which was an original game.  SMS also was pretty simplistic in design, and although it was vacation-based, mario games without snow levels, forest, cave, etc. don't work as well.

3. Vertigo - U2

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 10:52:55 PM »
I have 118 shines.

Are there any platform games for the GCN coming out soon?

What else is missing from my list?

(Is Rachet 2 or Sly 2 worth bringing my PS2 home from school?)

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 02:52:16 PM »
I got a poster for Viewtiful Joe 2 in my Gamepro about 2 weeks ago.

Time slowed and Reality bent.
But on and on the Eggman went.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2004, 08:43:05 PM »
 I just noticed Luigison's explanation for not putting StarFox Adventures on the list... I thought that was a very good game, and resembled a platformer, but without the ability to control jumps, you can't really call it a platformer.

Print