Print

Author Topic: Blu-ray, HD-DVD: What do you think?  (Read 2585 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: December 19, 2005, 08:02:29 PM »
What do you guys think about this Blu-ray Vs. HD-DVD nonsense?

Is Sony being too optimistic about their Blu-ray format? Yes the PS3 ia using it, but what if the format fails? Many of you may be saying: "how could Blu-ray fail if PS3 uses it?" PS3 is using Blu-ray primarily for games. If the format fails to catch on outside of the gaming industry, then Sony is stuck with a useless product.

Blu-ray has many more supporters than HD-DVD, but that could all change once those companies realize how expensive the technology is. HD-DVD is cheaper to produce, since it uses similar manufactuing process as normal DVD. Blu-ray discs are thinner than DVD and HD-DVD, and require new production techniques.

Microsoft is supporting HD-DVD, and they are supposedly working on an HD-DVD Xbox 360. HP has recently announced their support for HD-DVD.

Should we worry about which format wins? Or should we just stick with standard DVD like Nintendo has done?
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 08:39:15 PM »
You make too many topics that somehow relate to the competitor game consoles.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 09:50:39 PM »
Yes, and most people here aren't knowledgable/interested enough to care at all.
That was a joke.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 11:44:18 PM »
Nothing wrong with talking about non-Nintendo consoles.

Hmm, well, if Blu-ray fails at least PS3 games will still work on PS3, so I don't really care. I thought it was announced that there will be no HD-DVD Xbox 360... but maybe I'm thinking about some sort of other HD. I'm on slow internet over Christmas so this stuff is hard to check.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 11:47:59 PM »
LD, shouldn't you be bust changing someone's name back to Bird Person?!?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 11:22:57 AM »
Blu-ray is awesome.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 05:37:38 PM »
I'm not worrying until DVD becomes obselete and I'm forced to buy whatever new format arrives to watch movies and such.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 07:54:52 PM »
There is absolutely no way PS3 will fail. Sony has such a huge market and loyal fan base. PlayStation practically pwns the videogame industry. Xbox 360 launch was unimpressive, and Sony will easily trump what the Xbox 360 has done so far.

Trust me.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 09:59:59 PM »
I still don't understand why you obviously like Sony more than Nintendo, and keep posting about it with that username.
Many analysts project the fall of Sony due to many other factors besides PlayStation console sales.
What does your post even have to do with the topic of this thread?
As I said, people say Sony will fail, and Microsoft is obviously not doing too hot. My prediction is that they'll both fail in the long run.
That was a joke.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 10:03:35 PM »
Who knows?

The crazy dude at Game Stop would disagree!
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 10:04:21 PM »
Sony does seem stuck at a dead end, what with developers having difficulty using the dev kits for PS3, and the fact that their projected price is supposedly higher than it's competition. I say Sony is getting too cocky, and it's gonna come back to bite them where it hurts.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 09:17:01 AM »
I never supported Sony, i am just saying what is obvious. Sony has the gaming industry on a leash, and despite their poor success in other departments, PlayStation is what keeps them alive.

If PS3 is over $500 like CNN  says, then I guarantee we will see a repeat of 3DO and Neo Geo failures.

Print