Poll

Which of these systems should've been released here?

Atari Cosmo (holographic portable Atari 2600)
0 (0%)
PlayStation Pocket (tiny black-&-white psuedo-PlayStation)
0 (0%)
SNES CD drive (later became...the PlayStation!)
4 (21.1%)
N64 DD drive (added extra effects to games; Japan only)
14 (73.7%)
Atari Jaguar 2 (um, an Atari Jaguar successor)
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Print

Author Topic: Best Never-Released System  (Read 9171 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: February 13, 2006, 01:43:49 PM »
Sadly, thse 5 systems were either never released at all, or, in the case of the N64 CD, were available only in Japan for a very short time. Which one do you think should've been released, if only for the sake of curiosity? Yeah, it's true, most of 'em were probably never released for a reason, but the SNES and N64 CD drives should've been released.
every

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 04:18:51 PM »
Uhh there was no such thing as an N64 CD drive.  There was an N64 DD (disk drive), but this was certainly not a CD.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 06:30:58 PM »
Nope, there was a plan to release a true CD drive in Japan for the N64. Maybe I should've reworded the phrase: "meant to be released in Japan, but was never released at all".
every

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 07:57:42 PM »
Proof?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 09:13:35 AM »
There was to be a cool Ocarina of Time thing for the N64 DD.  I would've loved to have seen that.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 09:43:02 PM »
The dungeons for that project got released as Ocarina of Time: Master Quest on the Wind Waker pre-order disc here. The overworld stuff has not seen the light of day, though.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 04:27:19 AM »
Wow, there was overworld stuff?  That would have been interesting to play.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 09:23:19 AM »
Yeah, that would be cool. But the N64 CD drive was actually planned, but Nintendo thought it would be too expensive. So they lowered the funcionality a bit and made it into a hard-disk drive that was essentially a big memory card, but even that was only released in Japan, and it didm't last very long.
As for the SNES CD drive, Nintendo actually chose not to go with Sony for the add-on, but instead got Phillips to make the craptastical CDi, which actually warped the SNES' plastic parts with its sheer amount of suck. Of course, the "Nintendo PlayStation" was a really cool idea (a dedicated CD-based 32-bit system) so Sony manufactured it as a stand-alone product, the PlayStation. Rumor has it that Sony chose the wierd X, Circle, Square and Triangle buttons over the more conventional A, B, X and Y buttons to further set it apart from the SNES.
every

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 11:07:47 AM »
Don't forget about the SNES ND (Nintendo Disk). It would sell for $300, and its CPU had 21.477 Mhz (wow!). A Mario game was announced for the system.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 11:33:14 AM »
The N64DD wasn't a hard disk, it was more of a floppy disk.
You still haven't proven your N64CD claim.
The SNES CD and SNES ND are the same thing.
Nintendo didn't "get" Phillips to make the CDi.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 11:37:02 AM »
pwn'd.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 02:39:05 PM »
No, not pwned.

1. The N64 CD WAS a CD drive THAT WAS NEVER RELEASED ANYWHERE (must I stress that again?), not even Japan, or Canada, or Mars, nowhere.
2. I cannot prove it literally, as I don't own schematics or anything. Look it up on Google (but actually try).
3. Yes, they are, but I didn't say that.
4. Nintendo did request to Phillips to release the CDi, and I shouldn't even have to prove that to you.

What does trying to "prove" this (factual) stuff wrong have to with anything?
every

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 09:48:55 AM »
You know, I have a magazine about the DD or whatever. I would scan it, but I think it's against the law to post copyrighted material.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2006, 09:22:36 AM »
No, not pwned.

1. The N64 CD WAS a CD drive THAT WAS NEVER RELEASED ANYWHERE (must I stress that again?), not even Japan, or Canada, or Mars, nowhere.
2. I cannot prove it literally, as I don't own schematics or anything. Look it up on Google (but actually try).
3. Yes, they are, but I didn't say that.
4. Nintendo did request to Phillips to release the CDi, and I shouldn't even have to prove that to you.

What does trying to "prove" this (factual) stuff wrong have to with anything?

I suppose that MB would like you to give evidance. Perhaps it YOU showled the website. Don't make him search (very hardly) on Google, as you suggested.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2006, 09:34:43 AM »
I do have an old 1999 issue of GamePro that has an article on this, but I have no scanner, so I can't upload it.
every

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2006, 11:18:06 AM »
1/2. It's nowhere to be found on Google, which I why I asked you to prove your claim to begin with.  Yes, I did try.  Did you?
3. That response was to cantthinkofaname.
4. Yes you do, because no source I know of makes that claim either.  This claim logically doesn't even make sense.  The format used on the CDi was developed by Philips and Sony.  The CDi came out in 1991, the same year as the US SNES release.  At this point, Nintendo wouldn't encourage a competitor to release a console.  Furthermore, the only reason Nintendo allowed their games to release on CDi was an agreement they had over the SNES CD.
So far, none of your answers have been "factual," and misinformation is not appreciated.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2006, 01:12:38 PM »
You know, this is turning into a flame war, and that's not good. All I did was list the stinking thing on there; the purpose of this thread was to ask what kind never-released system you wanted to be released, not a blow-by blow 250%-factual historical chronology of the N64 CD's development. For all I know, Nintendo might've just barely thought up the idea, and then the idea was leaked and became a huge rumor. If I have somehow offended you, Megabyte, I am most sorry, but seriously, this is getting out of hand! It's true that a few facts have been accidentally (not mallicously or purposely or as part of a conspiracy to overthrow the government) distorded by accident on my part, but the absolute facts were not the point of this thread in the first place. I can't get complete and true information on a product that was never even developed! And now this topic is probably going to get closed because of this little argument.
every

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2006, 01:53:25 PM »
Umm...this is not a flame war at ALL. MB's just using logic and intelligence; I haven't seen any insulting at all. You can have an argument/debate without it being a flame war. There's nothing wrong with the former.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2006, 03:43:19 PM »
It's turning into a flame war, I said. And yes, I now know that may have been a little extreme. But still, the whole point of this thread wasn't a super-accurate history lesson. If I had made up all of the coices, that would've been bad, but I didn't.
every

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2006, 04:53:55 PM »
Well you're saying that there's a CD drive for the N64 but you have no proof to back up your claim. Megabyte is just disagreeing with you but then you are just arguing back and again without and proof to back you up.

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2006, 05:44:41 PM »
I voted for the 64DD, but I would've voted for the Famicom Disk System if that choice were up.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2006, 08:36:03 AM »
The FDS was released in Japan, and it was actually pretty popular there, as far as I could tell from the articles I read.
every

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2006, 11:20:02 PM »
The FDS was released in Japan,
So was the 64DD, and that's up on your list (thought it was changed from your imaginary system).

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2006, 09:48:40 PM »
Oh, BTW, I did find the EGM article, and it didn't actually say that an N64CD was under development, it simply said that the expansion port could allow for one in the future if they so chose.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2006, 03:03:48 PM »
It's called the N64DD, for Dynamic Disk, which I just found out. And why is this arguement still going? I thought I said: It never was released, nor was it developed, or even truly officially announced. It was simply a rumor, and I want to know if anyone wanted it to be released. That's all. Now, can we please get back on topic?
every

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2006, 04:37:44 PM »
Actually it started as "Dynamic Drive," though eventually it was just a generic "DD," which could be looked at kinda like the Nintendo DS, where DS has multiple meanings.

I thought I said: It never was released, nor was it developed, or even truly officially announced. It was simply a rumor, and I want to know if anyone wanted it to be released.

Well the problem is, that's not what you said.  You said,

in the case of the N64 CD, were available only in Japan for a very short time.
there was a plan to release a true CD drive in Japan for the N64. Maybe I should've reworded the phrase: "meant to be released in Japan, but was never released at all".
the N64 CD drive was actually planned, but Nintendo thought it would be too expensive. So they lowered the funcionality a bit and made it into a hard-disk drive that was essentially a big memory card, but even that was only released in Japan, and it didm't last very long.

The only reason this "argument" is still going on is because you keep trying to change your argument to make yourself right.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2006, 09:09:59 PM »
Again: Pwn'd.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2006, 09:45:43 AM »
I think there's been some confusion:

N64 DD drive: Never ever ever ever ever released
N64 CD drive: Released only in Japan in 1999
This topic: Now way off-topic
Me: Annoyed
every

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2006, 04:23:22 PM »
1. The N64 CD WAS a CD drive THAT WAS NEVER RELEASED ANYWHERE (must I stress that...)

I think this speaks for itself.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2006, 04:54:02 PM »
N64 DD drive: Never ever ever ever ever released

Yes, there has been.  You've gotten it backwards.

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2006, 11:14:29 AM »
Edit: Never mind, I was three pages late. Either way, I have to go with the N64 DD since it was going to have Earthbound 64 on it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 11:16:27 AM by Poop Dude »
Professional Paisano here

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2006, 07:53:42 AM »
Thank you so much for putting this back on topic, Poop Dude!
every

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2006, 12:21:35 PM »
You're just saying that because you don't want to get pwned by MEGAߥTE again.

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2006, 01:08:45 PM »
So let's get it off-topic again! I just want to ask, how do you make that funny-looking Y in MegaBytes name?

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2006, 02:28:19 PM »
You make it by pressing Alt and 0165 Like this ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥, woah that looks like a fence.

Back to the topic though, Vid is correct.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2006, 05:21:05 PM »
What do you mean he's correct? MB threw this topic so far off it's practically in another language! It has nothing to do with me being pwned. By the way, I am physically incapable of being pwned.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2006, 05:26:56 PM »
Glorb needs to stop pretending he's right because he's wrong. MB is correct and Glorb is not. The end. Glorb fails.
That was a joke.

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2006, 06:07:59 PM »

By the way, I am physically incapable of being pwned.

Glorb needs to stop pretending he's right because he's wrong. MB is correct and Glorb is not. The end. Glorb fails.

PWNED!!!!!

Also, The Y in Megabyte's name isn't working for me.

Print