Poll

Do you think the Nintendo Wii be a sucess?

Yep. It will be the best system ever.
32 (51.6%)
It will be better than average, and you plan on buying it.
26 (41.9%)
Ehh... It will just sell as much as the Gamecube.
2 (3.2%)
Not really, I think Wii won't quite measure up to an Xbox.
1 (1.6%)
Nope, none or barely any Wii's will be sold when it comes out.
1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Print

Author Topic: Will Wii Make it?  (Read 24115 times)

« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2006, 06:18:03 PM »
i agree all other third party sytem will rott!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 02:37:47 PM by Sapphira »
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2006, 09:45:46 PM »
is it completely backwards compatible?
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2006, 09:55:50 PM »

Not only backwards, but also upside down.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2006, 12:36:35 AM »
Actually, I think two Wiimotes will be included with each system since Nintendo wants to emphasize the "We" aspect of the system. The classic controller will still probably be sold seperately though, hopefully not $35 like the Wavebirds were.
Hah! That's a great idea...
And yes, technically Wii will be completely backward compatible, with the Virtual Console. It was mentioned in #tmk that when you play VC games you will use a special controller to make gameplay seem more natural, not the Wiimote. This isn't news, I'm sure... you probably already know. It's a shame, but programming old games to work with the Wiimote would be difficult and risky. Here's what the one at e3 looked like.

And if you take a look at it, you'll see that it's perfect for use with the NES, SNES, N64, GC, and any other consoles Wii will emulate. I know I'll own four of those in no time.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2006, 06:10:16 AM »
Great. More stuff to save up for...

I originally voted that it would be better than average and I would by one, but I have changed my vote. I only picked the better than average choice because of what other consoles have brought us (NES= SMB, SNES= new technologies, N64= 3-D gaming, etc.) After reviewing past posts and thinking, I would change my vote to that it will be the best console ever (and I will buy it). As The Chef said, this is the closest to virtual reality in any home console before it, and if BP is right about the second optional controller for older games, then this system will pwn and own the competition.

I also second my opinion with an issue of Gamepro magazine, the one with a SMB-ish scene on the cover. Inside is an article where they mention the thee next-gen consoles. In the end, they gave awards to the consoles. If I can remember from memory...X-BOX 360= Best online service; PS3= Best graphics (competition starts here), Best playability/control; Wii: Best price/affordability, Best games, and I forget the third best. The point? They gave more awards to the Wii, which could mean they think it is the best, and these people are generally neutral in console wars. They gave what they thought about the next-gen consoles, and if there awards were well-placed, and they mean which one is the best by the amount of awards, the it's 3. 360, 2. PS3, 1. Wii. They could also mean which one is the best by what the awards said, but I don't think it would change the results.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2006, 07:46:22 AM »
You don't have to listen to what the game reviewers say, just formulate your own opinion.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2006, 01:34:02 PM »
And if you take a look at it, you'll see that it's perfect for use with the NES, SNES, N64, GC, and any other consoles Wii will emulate. I know I'll own four of those in no time.

It does not look perfect for N64 games.  I do not want to have to use a joystick to simulate the four c-buttons.  Maybe you'll have the option to use x, y, select and R2 as the four c-buttons, but in that case the button layout is all wrong.

« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2006, 08:07:39 PM »
You won't use that controller with GCN games, since the GCN controllers already plug directly into the Wii. And it does not look good for N64 games.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2006, 02:48:25 AM »
Great. More stuff to save up for...
Muhahaha. Well, if you want to save money and play video games at the same time, you're best off a Nintendo fan. The VC controller can't possibly be so expensive as to make one cry. When it comes to graphics... well, I thought you couldn't improve SSBM's. And now look at SSBB. that trailer made me DIZZY!!!!! Playing it will be overwhelmingly awesome. When I'm playing SSBB with my friends (I will have 4 Wiimotes as well as VC controllers as soon as I can get them) I'll be in heaven. I'm getting tingly inside...! Remember back when I said "I hope that the Revolution will play DVDs!!!!" Well I don't CARE anymore!!!!!! I'll probably never use that feature when I'm playing SSBB, SMG, and TOO MUCH MOOOOORE!!!! @_@ Good thing that in the Wii's prime moments I will have a job.
I have calm.

It does not look perfect for N64 games.  I do not want to have to use a joystick to simulate the four c-buttons.  Maybe you'll have the option to use x, y, select and R2 as the four c-buttons, but in that case the button layout is all wrong.
If not, forget about putting your N64 in the closet, I guess. Nintendo will likely give you an option of what to do with the extra buttons (think GB Player) or make game-specific controls.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2006, 03:47:38 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDObvdC23qw

Looks and sounds like he's using the right analog stick as C (which would be good for Mario 64, but bad for other games).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 03:49:16 PM by Lizard Dude »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2006, 04:04:03 PM »
I wonder what would attach into that slot on the back of the controller.......

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2006, 04:44:35 PM »
So does Nintendo. It probably won't be important for a while. but maybe we'll end up using it someday.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2006, 10:56:01 PM »
I remember seeing a video that showed some of the games downloaded for that particular Wii which included SM64 and others.  I also saw a sega system with sonic as a choice.  How would this controller fit segas 6-button style?
"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
"I obstruct"

« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2006, 02:42:45 AM »
L and R replacing two of the buttons, I guess (like SNES versions of games on both systems usually did).

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2006, 08:36:16 AM »
Didn't the Genesis only have 3 face buttons?

Print