Print

Author Topic: Super Paper Mario - GG style  (Read 25558 times)

« on: July 18, 2007, 02:42:25 PM »
(I had to split the darn thing into parts... stupid 20000 character limit...)

Prologue: A Hero Torn from His World

It was just another peaceful day in the Mushroom Kingdom. Everyone was going about their daily business and not worrying about a thing. Bowser, the Koopa King, hadn’t tried to kidnap Princess Peach for quite some time, so there was really nothing much to worry about anyway. Since there hadn’t been any princess-nappings in a while, the heroes of the Mushroom Kingdom, Mario and Luigi, had some pleasant leisure time.

At the Mario Bros’ humble abode, Mario and Luigi had just finished breakfast. Luigi yawned a mighty yawn. “Man,” he said. “It sure is peaceful, huh, bro?”

“Mm-hmm,” muttered Mario, who was still a little sleepy.

“Maybe a little too peaceful,” Luigi continued. “I kind of wish something exciting would happen, you know?”

“Like Peach getting kidnapped, maybe?” Mario asked jokingly.

“Mario, don’t say that! It’ll happen if you ask for it!”

“Mama mia, I’m just kidding, Weegi!” Mario laughed. “So, what kind of excitement did you have in mind?”

Luigi shrugged. “I didn’t really think about the actual event, I just wanted something to happen.” He thought about it, then said,” Hey, how about we go see the Princess?”

“Sure thing!” Mario exclaimed. “Maybe something exciting’ll happen at Mushroom Castle, and we can have some of Peach’s yummy cake while we’re at it.” So they headed for Princess Peach’s castle. However, they didn’t get very far before a Toad, aptly named Toad, ran up to them in a panic. “It’s horrible!” he screamed. “Just plain awful!”
“What’s the matter, Toad?” Mario asked the distraught Mushroom person. “Toadsworth tell one of his grody old man jokes again?”

“W-worse than that!” Toad shrieked. “Mushroom Castle... RAIDED! Princess Peach... KIDNAPPED!” He burst into tears.

Mario stood there with his mouth open, while Luigi glared at him. “I told you,” Luigi said sternly. “I told you! I TOLD YOU! See what happens when you mention princess-nappings?!! IT HAPPENS!”

“Relax, Weegi, we’ll get her back,” Mario said. “We just gotta go to Bowser’s castle, kick his butt and rescue Peach. No big deal.”

“Eh, you’re right, let’s go.”

How very wrong they were.

-----------------------------------

Bowser’s castle was a formidable fortress made entirely of brimstone, which, given that the castle was on a rock platform above an active volcano, was a given. Of course, that made it smell bad, but the few mages that served Bowser were able to keep the smell away with perfume spells. Bowser himself was just as formidable as his castle. He was a tall, muscular man with brilliant red hair and blond bangs styled at an angle to look like horns. He wore spiked bracelets for no reason other than to strike fear into people. All in all, he was quite intimidating. Not to mention he had hordes of followers behind him.

That particular day, Bowser was about to initiate his plan to kidnap Princess Peach... again. This time, he had carefully analyzed every step and mini-step of his plan to make sure there was no way he could fail. Of course, by “analyze”, I mean he had Kamek look through it and thoroughly dissed every suggestion the wizard made. Anyway, Bowser’s forces were just about to head out as Bowser gave them the usual “we’re gonna get the Princess” speech.

“Alright, minions, listen up!” Bowser shouted. “Today’s the day we finally win! We’ll storm Peach’s castle and kidnap her. Then we’ll take over the world!”

All the minions cheered. “Bowser, Bowser, woo!” ”We will rule!” “Hail Bowser!” ”We’re under attack!”

“Ha ha, ‘we’re under attack’, you jokers are so funny,” Bowser chuckled to himself. Then he noticed two minions who looked like they didn’t belong. They had mustaches. “Hey, who are those two hairy guys in the back?!!” he shouted. “We shave around here, minions!” He stomped his way to the mustache men, the crowd of minions parting to make room for their king. The identity of the mustache men was soon revealed: Mario and Luigi.

“WHAT?!! Mario and Luigi?!! How the crap did you guys get in here?!!” Bowser shouted in rage.

“Not to make you seem more stupid than you already are,” Mario said. “You left the front gate wide open.”

Bowser was furious at this. “AUGH, those IDIOTS!!!” he shouted. He stomped the floor so hard, it might have split open had it not had reinforced steel beams to keep such an incident from occurring. “HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD THEM?!! IF YOU’RE THE LAST ONE IN, LOCK THE GATE!!! IT’S FREAKIN’ COMMON SENSE!”

“Quiet, Bowser!” said Luigi. “We know you have Princess Peach! Now where’d you put her?”

Bowser stared at the Mario Bros, confused. “But, we don’t have her, at least not yet. We were only just about to initiate our atta—”

“MARIO! LUIGI! HELP!”

Everyone heard a pure, feminine voice calling out to the Mario Bros, but they couldn’t see the person the voice belonged to. Suddenly, Princess Peach appeared before them, trapped in some sort of rainbow-colored cage floating in midair. Her floating prison moved over and someone else appeared where it had been. It was a man, a tall man wearing a top hat and a billowing sunset-colored cape and holding a diamond-tipped staff. The man had dark blue hair that matched his left eye, but his right eye glowed a brilliant red. The man spoke. “Your princess has been taken... by Count Bleck!”

“Whaddaya think you’re—” Bowser shouted at him, but stopped. “Wait, by who?”

The man bowed, as if this were some high-class dinner event. “By me,” he said. “Count Bleck! The executor of the Dark Prognosticus... is Count Bleck! The fine fellow prophesied to come to this dimension... is also Count Bleck!”

Bowser scoffed at him. “I’ll tell you who doesn’t make any sense... Count Bleck.” His minions would have laughed if this weren’t such a serious situation.

Mario decided that it was time to take some action, so he jumped up to attack, as he usually did. But as he landed, his boots didn’t connect with squishy top hat. They met something that felt like a combination of a wicker basket and an iron gate. He bounced off it, not harming Count Bleck at all.

“Mario, he’s got a barrier!” Luigi shouted to his brother.

“Yeah,” Mario said. “I kinda got that part.”

“You call that an attack?” Count Bleck scoffed. “Count Bleck will show you how this sort of thing is done.” He swung his staff in Mario’s direction. At first, nothing happened. Then a purple cloud appeared around Mario, draining him of energy and knocking him out.

“Big bro!” Luigi cried.

The count stared at Mario. “This man deserves ridicule. Weaklings cannot face Count Bleck.”

By now, Bowser was getting pretty angry. No one was allowed to pummel Mario but himself. So he decided to do something about Count Bleck. “Hey, here’s an idea,” he said threateningly. “You let the princess go and get the heck out of here... or ELSE!” His many minions closed in on Count Bleck to prove Bowser’s point.

“Your princess shall not be returned... by Count Bleck,” Count Bleck said calmly. “She is key to fulfilling the prophecy that will destroy all worlds.”

“Destroy... all worlds?!!”

“Yes, all worlds,” the count continued, as if it wasn’t any more important than a fly on someone’s nose. “In fact, Bowser, fierce king of the Koopas... Count Bleck takes you too!” He threw his staff into the air and it levitated, spinning madly. As it spun, a purple cloud formed in the hallway, just like the one that knocked Mario on his back. The cloud quickly swallowed Bowser, Luigi, Peach and all of Bowser’s minions with no trouble at all. Afterwards, Count Bleck disappeared, leaving Mario alone in the castle.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 02:44:37 PM by GiftedGirl »
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 02:44:35 PM »
(prologue pt2)

“Oh... ooohh... where am I?”

“Bleh heh heh heh! Glad to see you’re finally awake, Princess!”

Princess Peach slowly opened her eyes. She was unmistakably at a wedding. She was the bride... and LBowser was the groom! Just what the crap was going on?

At that moment, Nastasia, a woman with cat eye glasses and magenta-colored hair wrapped neatly in a bun appeared in the room. “Yeah, Count Bleck, all preparations are complete now,” she said to Count Bleck, who was hovering above a white altar between Peach and Bowser.

“Excellent,” the count said. “Then it shall be begun... by Count Bleck!” Wedding bells chimed as Count Bleck began. “Bowser, fearsome and ferocious King of the Koopas, will you take Peach to be your lawfully wedded wife ‘til your games be over?”

“Uh, let me think,” Bowser said. “HECK YEAH!”

Count Bleck then turned to Peach. “Princess Peach,” he continued. “Fair and noble princess of the Mushroom Kingdom, will you take Bowser to be your lawfully wedded husband ‘til your games be over?”

“Now, wait a minute!” Peach shouted. “Just what exactly is going on here?!!”

“Why, isn’t it obvious?” Count Bleck exclaimed. “This is your wedding day, Princess!”

“Oh,” she said. “But why am I marrying Bowser?”

Bowser chuckled. “Hey, no gripes on this side of the altar, man!” he said proudly. “I don’t get the details, but the count here went through a lot of trouble putting this together. Just relax, Princess. We’ll get married, we’ll be in love, it’ll be AWESOME!”

“No!” Peach yelled in disgust. “And just who picked out this awful dress?!! I wouldn’t be caught dead on the streets of Rogueport in this thing!” Suddenly, she felt as if her mind was being squeezed. She dropped to her knees, overwhelmed by the energy clutching her. Nastasia was doing some kind of mind control on the princess.

“Sorry, but being rude to the esteemed count is kinda frowned on around here.” Nastasia said. “Just be cooperative and say ‘I do’, ‘k?”

“Uhh... nuh... no...” These words shocked Bowser. How could she not want to marry him? He’s BOWSER, for cryin’ out loud!

“My, you’re a fighter, huh?” Nastasia said. “Sorry, but no one withstands my super hypnosis. ‘I do.’ Say it now, ‘k?” She tightened her mental grip on the Princess.

“Oh... oooooohhhhh.... aah...

.......I.....I...do...

That was the trigger. As soon as Peach said “I do”, strange dark energy seeped out of the altar between her and Bowser. Slowly, a black heart pulsating with evil energy pushed its way through the altar.

Meanwhile, in amongst the group of Bowser’s minions who were watching the precession, Luigi came out of being knocked out cold. “What’s going on here?” he asked. “Hey, why is Peach in a bridal gown???” He noticed the Chaos Heart. Okay, Luigi, he thought. Now’s your chance to prove yourself! He jumped up the steps leading to the altar.

“HALT!” he shouted at Count Bleck and Nastasia.

“And just who are you? ...asked Count Bleck.”

“Oh no, I don’t give my name to scoundrels!” Luigi shouted. “Now Luigi will punish you for your badness! Here I go!”

Nastasia was freaking out. “Yeah, I’m gonna need you to stop this, ‘k? If you interrupt this now—” But it was too late. Luigi jumped up, bounced off of Bowser’s head, off the Chaos Heart and landed at Peach’s side.

“Here’s where Luigi rescues the princess!” he exclaimed. “Wait... what’s going on?!!” The Chaos Heart had started going crazy and the whole room was shaking. A blinding light shone from the Heart’s center, then... everyone and everything disappeared. Count Bleck and Nastasia had managed to avoid the damage the Heart caused.

“Yeah, so, you’re alright, Count?” Nastasia asked.

“Yes,” he said. “I’m perfectly fine. And the Chaos Heart has been unleashed, just as the Dark Prognosticus predicted! Excellent! ...exclaimed Count Bleck.”

“Yeah, ‘k, so this means you can turn another page of dark prophecies...”

Count Bleck spread his arms wide and took control of the Chaos Heart. “Open your mouth, darkness!” he commanded. “Consume all worlds as told in the Dark Prognosticus! Bleh heh heh heh! BLEH HEH HEH HEH! BLECK!”

-----------------------------------------

“..........................ario.................Mario................”

Mario woke up to see that everyone had disappeared. The only one left in Bowser’s castle besides himself was a strange fairy thing floating in front of him. It had white eyes, white hair and rainbow wings with a dress to match. “Are you awake?” the fairy said. Judging by its voice, it was clearly female.

“Yeah, I guess so,” Mario groaned. “What—I mean, who are you, anyway?”

“Sorry,” the fairy said. “My name is Tippi. I am what is known as a Pixl, a sort of fairy. Mario, I came to find you...”

Mario stared at Tippi. “What do you mean you came to find me? Wait a minute... you’re with that guy who kidnapped Princess Peach, aren’t you?”

“I am no enemy,” Tippi said sincerely. “You met Count Bleck and he captured a princess and an evil king, right?”

“Yes, that’s exactly what happened!” Mario exclaimed. “How do you know these things?”

Tippi didn’t seem to hear that last bit. “Then that means that Count Bleck is even now beginning to form the Void... We haven’t much time. You must come with me. Yes, if your friends are to be saved, you must come.” Her wings glowed as Mario felt some sort of benevolent energy start to swallow up his feet. “Let us go...” And with that, she teleported them both to another world.

----------------------------------------

At the top of a beautiful white tower, an elderly man with a mustache down to his feet and a brilliant blue robe was waiting for someone. He didn’t have to wait long, though, for at that moment, a white glowing object about the size of an average man appeared before him. When the light subsided, the elderly man saw Tippi and Mario. “Oh ho!” the man exclaimed. “Well, well, well... Back so soon, Tippi?” He gazed at Mario with a look that clearly said he was impressed. “And what is this? Red shirt, blue overalls and a magnificent ‘stache! Incredible! Tippi, you’ve truly outdone yourself.”

Tippi nodded. “He matches the description of the hero in the Light Prognosticus perfectly. His name is Mario...”

Mario stared at the older man and exclaimed, “I know you! You’re Dumbledore! I thought Snape killed you! I can’t believe you’re still alive! Can you tell me some things about the new Harry Potter book coming out?”

The man chuckled. “I welcome you, Mario. This is the town of Flipside. You have come far from the Mushroom Kingdom of your dimension. Of course, our fair Flipside is in no dimension at all, but rather between dimensions! I am called Merlon. I am a descendant of the Tribe of the Ancients that built this town. I study ancient texts to forestall the end of all worlds.”

“So... no Dumbledore?”

“No, no Dumbledore. Though some people say I bear a certain likeness to his more recent movie actor.”

“Oh,” Mario said. “So what’s this about the end of all worlds?”

Merlon looked shocked. “You mean Tippi hasn’t told you yet?”

“No, she hasn’t.”

“Well then, Mario,” Merlon replied. “The answer hangs above you.”

They all looked up. There was a gathering cloud of darkness in the sky. “Do you see the gathering cloud of darkness in the sky?” asked Merlon.

“Yes,” replied Mario. He would have added something like, What am I, blind? Of course I see it! It’s kinda hard to miss. But since Mario was a polite man, he kept those comments to himself.

“It is a hole in the very dimensional fabric of space! Such a phenomenon,” Merlon continued. “Is it near or far? No one knows. It may appear small, but it will only grow as time goes on. It is the Void. In the end, it will swallow all existence, all dimensions, all worlds... This void was created by our enemy, Count Bleck, who wields the Dark Prognosticus.”

A fair and beautiful princess... A furious monster king...” Tippi said, as if reciting from a play script. “The union of these two will call forth the Chaos Heart, the consumer of worlds, and the Chaos Heart will ravage in the sky, and so bring forth the Void.

“Oh my.” Mario was at a loss for words.

“Yes,” said Merlon. “The passage Tippi just quoted is from the Light Prognosticus of my ancestors. The book also says this: The Void will swallow all... Naught can stop it... unless the one protected by darkness is destroyed. The hero with the power of the eight Pure Hearts will rise to the task... So it is written.” Merlon held up a glowing red heart that was pulsating with positive energy. “This is one of the eight Pure Hearts,” he said with pride. “You are surely the hero spoken of in the Light Prognosticus. You are the only one who can stop Count Bleck and save all worlds! Mario! Take this and save all worlds from destruction!”

“Sure thing, Merlon!” Mario replied. “I can’t just let all the worlds be destroyed when I know there’s something I can do about it!”

“Excellent!” Merlon exclaimed. “You are truly the hero spoken of in the Light Prognosticus! My eyes never deceive! So, Mario, our brave hero...” he cleared his throat. “Take this!” He thrust the Pure Heart into Mario’s arms. “Now, great hero Mario, your first task awaits. You must take this Pure Heart and place it in the Heart Pillar in this town. Tippi will lead you there. Return to me when your task is done.”

“This way, Mario...” Tippi led him to an elevator at the far left of the tower’s roof. He followed her and entered the elevator, which lead to the main floor of Flipside, where there was a shop and a fortune-telling house. Tippi beckoned him to another elevator and he followed. The second elevator led them to an upper level.

“The Heart Pillar is this way...” Tippi told Mario. But he didn’t need to be told where it was. He could see it with his own eyes. It was a tall, white pillar that was a little red at the bottom. It also had a heart-shape indention that matched the Pure Heart he had in his possession. He got close to the pillar and placed the Pure Heart in the indention. As soon as it was placed, immense waves of energy blew off of it, so immense that it almost knocked Mario on his overall-covered backside.

As soon as it had started, the energy coming off the pillar subsided. “Well done...” Tippi praised him.

“Thank you, Tippi.” Mario replied.

“Now let’s return to Merlon...” she said. And so they did.

The moment they returned to the top of the Flipside Tower, they noticed something that wasn’t there before: a bright red door. “Ah,” Merlon greeted them. “The two of you return!”

“Yeah,” Mario replied. “We’re back.” He smiled a pleasant smile.

“Anyway, this dimensional door that just appeared...” he motioned toward the red door. “This will lead you to the next Pure Heart.” He turned to Tippi. “Tippi, you must use your power to help Mario find the Pure Heart and return here.”

“Of course...”

”And Mario,” he turned back to Mario. “I have something to give you which will aid in your travels.” He handed Mario something that looked like a clay sculpture of a Warp Pipe.

“Uh, thank you,” Mario said. “But why are you giving me a pipe?”

Merlon chuckled. “With this pipe, you can return to Flipside from anywhere in the universe! Use it when you feel you must return in a hurry.” As Mario put the pipe in his pocket, Merlon continued. “The Light Prognosticus details that the hero will meet a ‘dimensional governor’, and from him, the hero will learn a dimensional technique. I am almost certain that this refers to my friend, Bestovius, the Flip Wizard. Now go forth through this door and seek Bestovius!”

So Mario went forth through the door, which is pretty strange as there was no one to go first, second and third through the door.

----------------------------------------

“BLEH HEH HEH HEH! BLECK! The Void has been ripped in the dimensional fabric!”

In a dark and dreary castle, Count Bleck and his minions were having a little meeting about what was going to happen. Nastasia, as always, was right beside him. Across from them were O’Chunks, a burly muscle-bound man with shaggy auburn hair and an even shaggier beard; and Dimentio, a strange jester-like man wearing a cape and cap that shared a purple-n-yellow color scheme and having his face painted white on his right and black on his left, hair dyed to match, and an seemingly eternal smile.

“Yes, Count Bleck is pleased,” he continued. “All has gone as foretold in the Dark Prognosticus. Now it’s just a matter of time until all worlds meet their demise! Bleck!”

“Wow, that’s just super, Count!” O’Chunks said(who, by the way, didn’t really sound like himself, as if someone had taken out his vocal cords and switched them with that of a ten-year-old girl). “First you’ll erase all these naughty worlds, then you’re gonna build a perfect world without war and all that other icky stuff!”

“Yes, yes, no one likes the icky stuff...” Dimentio said(who, by the way, sounded like David Bowie. Just thought you should know.). “Yesss, a perfect world... sounds magical... Ah ha ha! I can hardly stand the wait!

“SORRY I’M LATE!” Suddenly, a man dropped in... literally. It was... another O’Chunks. The second O’Chunks noticed the first O’Chunks and his jaw dropped. “What in blazin’ bog rats?” he asked(sounding more like he should). “How’d I beat meself ‘ere? What’s goin’ on?!!”

Mimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimi... Oh, O’Chunks, you big silly!” the first O’Chunks said. “Didja oversleep or something?” “O’Chunks” then turned into an exact replica of Count Bleck. “I guess it’s hard to be on time when you’ve got muscles instead of brains!”

“‘EY! Yeh can’t fool me wit’ that crazy shape-shiftin’ hooliganry! It’s Mimi, innit?!!” O’Chunks looked at Mimi with anger in his eyes. “Show a little respect for the count! Yeh can’t go a’borrowin’ ‘is face, lass!”

Count Bleck, however, wasn’t upset. “Bleh heh heh heh... How delightful, Mimi. Almost as dapper... as Count Bleck!”

Mimi responded by turning into Princess Peach. “Aw, golly, thanks, Count! With you around, it’s nothing but big smiles all the time! Hanging out with the count! That’s my idea of a perfect world!” She blushed after saying this.

Dimentio rolled his eyes. “And here I thought Mimi’s ideal world was a gem-filled pool with hunky lifeguards...”

Mimi transformed into Bowser in rage. “HEY! DIMENTIO! HAVE YOU BEEN READING MY DIARY?!!” she screamed. “... I mean... um... never mind.”

“Bleh heh heh heh... Well, different strokes for different minions,” Count Bleck said. “After these rotten worlds are ended, Count Bleck will make all your dreams come true! But for that to happen, we must follow the instructions of the Dark Prognosticus.”

“Yeah, about that,” Nastasia told the count. “Just an FYI? I’ve got an important memo for your inbox. Apparently there’s been some unapproved interdimensional activity lately. Yeah. I’m thinking it’s the hero of prophecy. We’re gonna need an action plan for this guy.”

“A dimensional interloper! And possibly the hero?!! You are sure of it, Nastasia?” Count Bleck pondered for a bit. “Interesting, mused Count Bleck. We must put an end to this nuisance.”

“Count Bleck!” O’Chunks shouted. “Lemme get this right in me brain. The ‘ero Nastasia’s goin’ on ‘bout... he yer enemy? Then yeh gotta cut me loose on ‘im! Yeh gotta! I’ll give ‘im a taste of O’Chunks!”

“Very well, O’Chunks,” Count Bleck told him. “I leave the hero chunking to you. Do not fail Count Bleck.”

O’Chunks grinned broadly. “Yeh can count on me, Count!” he said. “I’ll rain down on ‘im like a fat thunderstorm! I swear it!” Then he turned to Dimentio and Mimi. “Mimi! Dimentio! Yeh should tag along! Yeh could witness a proper chunkin’!” He jumped down to a lower level and headed out.

“Mmm... I do enjoy a good chunking,” Dimentio said coolly. “Well, then... I believe I’ll head out as well.” With that, he disappeared.

“Bleh heh heh heh... So hero... you would defy Count Bleck? Then hurry, for your world’s end draws near... BLEH HEH HEH HEH BLECK!”

-----------------------------------------

I was debating whether or not to put this here, but here it is. Yay. *clap clap clap* Okay, you people at the art museum, expect character sheets as soon as I get off my fat, lazy butt and finish the darn things. I’m a bum! Yay! Anyway, some things I should point out:

-All the characters are humans. Well, not quite. They’ll all be human-like. Floro Sapiens will still be plant based, Cragnons will still be rock people who worship Big Rock Who Watches, Squirps will still be an alien(my own generic alien species, Kindreds), etc, etc.
-If you want to know/even care, Tippi is a chibi. More specifically, my version of chibi, which have their hands not attached to their bodies and no whites/pupils in their eyes. I don’t even think they have toes. Ack.

And... that’s it. Stay tuned for chapter 1: Lineland!

Disclaimer: Characters and plot belong to Nintendo, humanized versions of characters belong to Jess aka GiftedGirl
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 02:41:42 PM »
Wow. It's, like, huge. And really good. And...huge. Did you say there's a 20,000 character limit?
every

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 10:29:46 AM »
Apparently there is. Ah well.

By the way, thanks! And sorry it's so big. ^^;

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 12:28:07 PM »
Now, I give you... the first part of chapter one! And please, people, someone say what you think of this. I worked hard on this.

On the other side of the red door was something Mario could not believe. It was a beautiful, grassy road with strange, polygonal trees and beautiful flowers. There were birds flitting peacefully from tree to tree. It was hard to believe that such a beautiful place could be accessed from a door at the top of a tower.

“Okay,” Tippi said. “I think we should find Bestovius now...”

Mario grinned. “Okay, let’s go.”

“By the way, you can use my power if you need help. I can see into the spirits of people and creatures... and also reveal hidden objects,” Tippi told him.

Mario headed off, taking care to jump over the first Goomba he saw, with Tippi closely following him. He jumped up and hit a block containing a Mushroom. He ate the Mushroom. He needed that. Soon, they came to a door that was barricaded on all sides by unbreakable blocks. To a doofus, it would seem impossible to get over. But Mario was no doofus. He found a block near the barricade, jumped on the block and used it to gain clearance over the barricade. Now there was only one problem: how to get to the door. Oh well, we’ll worry about that one later.

Soon, they came to a house. “This has to be Bestovius’s house,” Mario said. “It’s the only house here!” They went inside to find... nothing. No appliances, no furniture... nobody. “Helloooooo! Anyone home?” Mario called out, expecting that Bestovius(or whoever lived there) was hiding behind a section of wallpaper or something. “No one’s home,” he finally said.

“This is not an empty house,” Tippi muttered. “There’s something here, I can feel it...” She slowly closed her eyes. When she opened them, a beam of rainbow-colored light shot out of them and shone onto the wall. She looked around with her eye beams and saw a hidden door. When the beams dissipated, the door was still there. “Okay, let’s go in.”

“Wow, that’s really cool!” Mario exclaimed.

“Really?”

”Yeah.”

They went through the door. In the next room were things one would expect to find in someone’s house: a table, vases with flowers in them and a person. The person, however, was not what you’d expect. He was wearing one of the strangest hats you’ve ever seen, accompanied by glasses that made you think of Elton John, a red-and-yellow cloak thing and a mustache fuller than Mario’s own lip fuzz. He was also standing in a big pink cloud. Gotta be Bestovius, Mario thought.

“Hmmmmmmmmmmm? What is this meager mustache that stands before me?” the strange man, apparently Bestovius, said. “And how does it have the audacity to address my multi-colored glory? How did these flimsy whiskers detect my secret door...?” He then noticed what Mario was wearing. “Wait right there! Red shirt, conspicuous white gloves, jaunty cap... Hah!” he shouted. “You are garbed in the cloth of the hero of prophecy! You must be the great HERO...”

Mario smiled.

“...impersonator!”

Mario fell over.

“What a costume!” he chuckled. “You look like you leaped out of the pages of the Prognosticus!”

“But I always wear this...”

Tippi shook her head in disbelief. “This is Mario,” she told Bestovius. “He’s dressed like this because he is the hero. Merlon told us to find you...”

“Merlon?!!” Bestovius exclaimed. “Only his full-bodied beard rivals my hairy magnificence...” He thought for a bit. “Well, if Merlon believes you to be the hero, then you probably are. I think...”

“Yes, I am,” Mario reassured him.

Bestovius cleared his throat. “Well, then. As the ancient prophecy foretells, I, Bestovius, will bestow upon you the ancient secrets of dimensional flipping... for a nominal fee of 10000 coins!”

“WHAT?!!” Mario shouted. “10000 coins, you can’t be serious! No one has that much money!”

Tippi was also upset about this. “That’s preposterous! You can’t charge to teach the hero of the prophecy!”

“Why not?” Bestovius asked. “Even the great and splendiferous Bestovius has certain... expenditures.” He coughed. “Why should the hero get the world delivered to him on a well-garnished platter? These heroes think they can get away with shaking people down for free skills. A mere 10000 coins should be nothing for a hero of the universe. What do you say?”

Mario only had one thing to say to him. “No way, you greedy jerk.”

“I see,” Bestovius muttered. “So be it. I will settle for just taking all the coins in your pocket. Do we have a deal?”

“Oh all right,” Mario said. All the coins in his pocket didn’t sound half as bad as 10000 coins. He fished around in his right pocket(he never put anything useful in his left pocket) and pulled out 5 gold coins. He handed them to Bestovius, who snatched them away jealously.

“Scintillating! Let us begin!” After he had pocketed the coins, Bestovius moved closer to Mario. He raised his hands in the air and began to say the ancient incantation.

Flimmidy flammidy flooom!

Diggidy daggidy dooom!

Zibbidy zabbidy zooom!

SHABOOOM!

FLIPPOW!

With those words, rainbow-colored lights twirled and danced around Mario, finally absorbing themselves into his body. It felt kind of nice.

“There!” Bestovius exclaimed. “I, Bestovius, have granted you the ability to flip between dimensions. If you concentrate hard enough, you can slip between the very fabric of space and flip between 2D and 3D! Mind blowing, isn’t it?”

”Yeah, it’s totally awesome!” Mario said.

“You can use this ability to find hidden items and secret paths,” Bestovius continued. “But be careful. If you use your new ability for too long... to be blunt, you’ll get hurt.”

“Okay, I got it. Flip to find secrets, but if I flip for too long, I’ll get hurt. Thanks for the tip.” Mario turned to leave... but then he decided to test out his new ability. He closed his eyes and concentrated very hard on switching dimensions... then suddenly, he was seeing things in a way he hadn’t seen them before. He noticed that Bestovius was flatter than he had first seen him. He also saw three things lying on the floor; a block with a flame on it, a can full of some sort of milkshake-like mushroom juice and a shell similar to the ones Bowser’s forces would use in battle. Assuming that Bestovius wouldn’t have left them there if he didn’t want Mario to take them(and he assumed correctly), he picked them up and put them in his pocket. Then he and Tippi exited Bestovius’s house and went along their merry way.

Eventually, Mario and Tippi had returned to the barricaded door. “Okay,” Mario said. “How are we supposed to get around this thing?”

“Why don’t you try flipping? That might get us somewhere,” Tippi suggested.

“Good idea!” Mario replied. “Why didn’t I think of that?” So he flipped. He then saw that the barricade had three pieces: a pillar of blocks on the far left, a matching pillar on the far right and a floating bar of blocks up above. Mario walked through the huge gap the flip had revealed and entered the door.

On the other side, there was more grass and trees like before. One of the few differences was that there was a Koopa wearing sunglasses and spiked bracelets... and it was heading straight for Mario and Tippi. Acting more out of habit than thought, Mario jumped on the Koopa. Tonk! Plonk! He knocked the Koopa into its shell and kicked it forward. It struck the many enemies in its path, clearing the way for Mario to continue. Eventually, he came to some pipes. Nothing he hadn’t dealt with before, but these were some pretty tall pipes. Mario couldn’t jump over them. Luigi, maybe, but not Mario. So he decided to flip around them. It worked. Plus, he got a nice Mushroom out of it, which was nice. He then jumped over a Goomba and a small bottomless pit. Another pit was ahead, but it was much wider and could not be crossed by just jumping. So Mario flipped, hiked over a couple of hills in the background and went through the door on the other side... after stomping an errant Squig, of course.

The next area had some hills. Some very big hills. Again, Mario couldn’t jump over them, so he flipped past them. The first one was fine, but behind the second one was... a MOB of Squiglets!!! Crap, though Mario. How am I gonna get past all these Squiglets? Then he remembered the items he had found at Bestovius’s house, one of which was the flame block he was currently digging out of his pocket. Unlike most men would do, he read the instructions on the back of it:

Fire Burst

Shake vigorously

Throw at enemies

Get out of the way

Mario shook the Fire Burst, as it was called, and threw it at the mass of Squiglets. A gigantic fireball rose from the spot where the Fire Burst had landed. The smell of bacon hung in the air around that spot for days. He passed the fried Squiglets and went through the next door.

In the next area were a couple of Piranha Plants and a block. Mario jumped over the Piranha Plants and hit the block. Inside the block had been a shining star, a Mega Star, which bounced away after being released from the block. Knowing what Stars in blocks were usually capable of, Mario grabbed it. As soon as he did, he felt a familiar surge of energy through his body. He became invincible, while being supersized. It was similar to the Mega Mushroom from one of his previous adventures.

Some things never change.

With the power of the Mega Star, Mario rampaged through the remainder of the area, stomping Goombas, Koopas, Squiglets and Squigs along the way as the Mega Star’s power dissipated, which was expected since it’s not fair to be invincible forever.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 07:29:24 PM by GiftedGirl »

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 01:46:26 PM »
Very good so far. I like the humorous touches ("I know you! You’re Dumbledore!" XD).
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 10:24:20 AM »
Thank you! *hugs you* My human version of Merlon looks like Sir Michael Gambon, so I had to stick the Dumbledore joke in there. XD

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 11:56:26 AM »
You're welcome. ^_^

Hey, if you ever feel that a hug wasn't enough, and wonder how else you could possibly thank me, you could always reply to my Super Paper Mario-related fanfic. *looks away and whistles* What? I didn't say anything!
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 07:52:20 PM »
It's okay, I know what you mean. ;)

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 08:19:34 PM »
A BUMP WITH A PURPOSE.

So, since I haven't gotten chapter 1-2 ready yet but I have some character sheets up, I thought I'd post those instead. Here's twelve of my character design sheets for my version of SPM:

Mario
Peach
Bowser
Luigi
Count Bleck
Tippi
Merlon
Nastasia
Dimentio
O'Chunks
Mimi
Bestovius and Watchitt

I'm almost done with chapter 1-2, don't worry. ;) It'll be on as soon as I'm done, just keep your pants on.

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 04:15:14 PM »
It looks like everyones in a Paper Mario mood. :)

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 03:49:31 PM »
A-yep. :D

Okay, the rest of the character sheets then I won't post here until I've got 1-2 done.

Fracktail
Merlumina
Merlee/Merluvlee
Francis
Squirps
Mr L
Brobot
Cragnons
Flint Cragley
Floro Sapiens
King Croacus
King Sammer
Sammer Guys
Queen Jaydes
Luvbi
Grambi
Bonechill
Super Dimentio

Crap, I almost forgot! I did the Pixls, too. Here they are.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 06:59:33 PM by GiftedGirl »

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 04:20:28 PM »
I like your Mr. L, but Mr. L is my favorite SPM character anyway...

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 06:09:16 PM »
Wow, nice character art! It's good to have the art so we can picture the characters. And speaking of which, I really need to do some artwork for my Super Paper Mario fanfic. Every time I try to do it, I find myself...not doing it. XP

I think Bonechill is my favorite. He looks like some evil dracula dark knight...thing.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 06:12:13 PM by Reading »

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 07:27:57 PM »
Thanx! :D I tried to base Bonechill off of the Devil's son from Ghost Rider.

I'm now making Fungi Forums-usable preview images for the chapter sections. I'm gonna add 1-1's image right now!

Print