Print

Author Topic: Too old for certain Japanese manga or anime?  (Read 10711 times)

« on: August 07, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
See I ask this because I'm 18 and I'm kinda concerned about going to a book store and buy this manga called Dragon Drive.. I have been really into this series since I was 16, and I have been buying the manga up till volume 6. I just want to go buy Vol. 7 for my enjoyment but it would be kinda awkward to go into a Barnes & Noble to buy something that looks like its for kids. What I'm really worried about is for some employee to question, talk smack, and embarrass me (This wouldn't be the first time). I could lie and say its for my little brother, though.

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 03:27:26 PM »
If you like it, get it. Some clerk tried to smack talk me when I bought a toy Mach 5. I just said he was jealous that his car wasn't as cool as Speed Racer's.
No! I don't want that!

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 03:56:43 PM »
You could hide in a cardboard box. Alternatively, you could buy it online.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 04:07:16 PM »
A few years back when I was about 19, I went to McDonald's and got a Happy Meal just for the Neopets toy. I told them it was for my nephew who was waiting outside. Jerk didn't put the toy in the bag. I gave them a good talking-to for that.

But seriously, don't be afraid to raise heck if you need to.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 04:28:50 PM »
It's none of his/her business what kind of manga you're into.  Buy the book and if he/she has a problem with it, then tough darts.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 05:04:28 PM »
Say you're buying it for your super-hawt supermodel girlfriend who's waiting outside in your Porsche 911.
every

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 05:06:01 PM »
Report him to the Better Business Bureau.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 07:49:38 PM »
If you like it, get it. Some clerk tried to smack talk me when I bought a toy Mach 5. I just said he was jealous that his car wasn't as cool as Speed Racer's.
Niiiice!
I get that too when I'm buying something. If they make fun of what you're buying; walk away from the register, and ask someone else to see the register. If the manager does squat, leave and never go back. There's always other stores and the internet! :)
Falcon....PAUNNNNCH!!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 08:01:49 PM »
16, 18, not much difference.

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 09:33:44 PM »
If you like it, get it. If the employee gives you trouble, you could do something like this:

I remember the day I got M&L: SS when the clerk told me "Aren't you too old for Mario games?" -- I essentially replied "Wait! I guess so!" and got the game at the Target across the street.)
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 10:59:55 PM »
It's none of their business what you buy. That's actually rude for any employee to do that to a customer. That could make a store lose business. If they start talking about you, you could report it to the manager, that the employees are making a potential customer feel uncomfortable (although I don't know if you'd like to take such drastic measures).
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 11:13:16 PM »
I've never been held up like this. In fact, when I got Partners in Time, with the babies on the box, the man said, "Oh, I hear that one's pretty good." I guess if I'd gotten "The one with the Baby Mario and Luigi?" I could say, "With Baby Mario and Luigi... BEATING. UP. ALIENS."

But I guess the ultimate response would be "You kidding? Mario's been around longer than my older sister."
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 04:27:19 PM »
Nobody is too old for certain Japanese manga/anime...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 06:52:17 PM »
Hardy Har Har. Will that stereotype ever cease?

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 09:24:17 PM »
It's been my experience that you're truly never too old for any kind of book/TV show/movie/game/etc. I myself have never been put down in public for buying media that is considered "childish", though two instances of attepmting to use a large amount of coinage to pay for such things caused a bit of a hassle for the cashiers, so sorry.
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

Print