Poll

Which was better?

Super Nintendo Entertainment System
18 (81.8%)
Sega Genesis
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Print

Author Topic: Super Nintendo vs. Sega  (Read 22595 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: January 17, 2010, 10:32:44 AM »
When I was a kid, I once saw my older brother come home with a broken nose. He had gotten into a fight over this very subject. He was seventeen at the time.

Let's see some noses get broken!
every

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 11:04:15 AM »
Super Nintendo.  Sega didn't stand a chance with that weird blue hedgehog.  Good thing they came up with Shadow later.

In all seriousness, though, the SNES had a lot of great games (SMW, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Yoshi's Island, etc.).  I've just never really gotten into Sega.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 12:18:31 PM »
We've got some fierce competition here, folks! There's no telling which console shall emerge victorious.

I've never touched a Sega console; their lack of iconic, exclusive series limit their appeal.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 12:20:38 PM »
I was a Nintendo fanboy during those years, so I got used to saying Super Nintendo. I couldn't really back it up because a blue hedgehog really did sound cooler than Mario or Donkey Kong. One time I went to my aunt's house and they had a Sega Genesis, and of course the kids were playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2, so I watched it and it looked pretty cool. When it was my turn I played as Tails, but I was always left 20 screens behind by the more experienced player playing as Sonic. I remember thinking the only thing I liked about that game was Tails. I looked at the other Sega games they had lying around, but they all looked pretty lame in comparison to Sonic.

In retrospect I can say I'm glad I went with the Super Nintendo. Maybe I'm just not used to Sega's library, but there seems to be a serious lack of good games on that system. Aside from the Sonic series I also liked Ecco the Dolphin and Comix Zone, and I'm sure there were some ports, but that's about it. Oh yeah, and as a kid if I did go with Sega, I would have snatched up every peripheral they announced. Imagine me with a Sega CD and 32X all hooked up to the same console. Would have made the AVGN video more relatable anyway (but it still would have been as funny).

With Super Nintendo I got to experience games like SMW2: Yoshi's Island and Super Metroid and Uniracers and the Donkey Kong Country series. I was introduced to RPGs with Super Mario RPG. Super Smash Bros. on N64 made me aware to give EarthBound a try. Only through emulation years later did I experience many other great games like Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana. And I also had one of those Super Game Boys which made playing Game Boys much more enjoyable (since I was getting tired of watching Mario on a small lime-yellow screen).

There's also the nostalgia factor of it having so many great games during one of those golden ages of 2D gaming and having the best controller I ever used. And according to Wikipedia the system was designed so that instead of becoming obsolete in a few years, games could use special chips put inside the cartridges to get an extra boost of whatever and stay ahead of the game, such as Super FX being put to use in titles like Star Fox and Yoshi's Island. Great move.

*looks up at Weegee's post, then the poll* Yeah. Though to be fair if I had sworn off Sega entirely, I would have never played Ecco the Dolphin which I called one of my favorite games of all time. Strangely, as soon as Sega got out of the console game and there was the announcement of Sega games on Nintendo consoles, I felt relief that the console wars were over, as if previously I had some desire to play Sega games but couldn't because it wouldn't be "right" to the side I belonged to. And now it was gone, I was free to experience what I had been missing all these years. So I snatched up Sonic Mega Collection and it was bliss, although most of the time I was only playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2 with it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 12:23:58 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 12:24:42 PM »
What a bunch of fanboys.
every

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 01:59:28 PM »
Glorb, you're not funny.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 08:10:13 PM »
I like the sound of the Genesis sound chip a lot more than SNES.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 09:02:20 PM »
Thing is, that's all the sounds Genesis could ever make. SNES could play whatever sounds you programmed. And SNES honestly sounds a lot better, although I do dig that Yamaha YM2612 sound.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 09:06:30 PM »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 09:11:54 PM »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 09:23:38 PM »
Chup posted pretty much exactly what I was going to say regarding sound.

While it's true that the Genesis does have the problem of just not having any iconic games that you can't now play on other systems, so does the SNES, and it's completely irrelevant to whether or not it was better than the Super Nintendo back when they were current-gen anyway.

(It wasn't, though.)

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 10:00:41 PM »
Sega Genesis was for all the cool kids.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 10:12:29 PM »

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 10:55:49 PM »
There's a difference between sounding cooler and sounding better.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 11:05:40 PM »
I totally agree about Genesis sounding cool. I think it has some of the coolest sounds ever. But it still can only make those sounds. And you could never have something sound as good as the Chrono Trigger soundtrack on it.
That was a joke.

Print