David Lee Roth
3 (100%)
Sammy Hagar
0 (0%)
Gary Cherone
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Print

Author Topic: Luigison's Dual #2: Van Halen  (Read 1918 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: July 25, 2010, 10:18:30 AM »
While working a 12 hour night shift in a QC/R&D lab I was asked this question and simply answered, "Roth."  Later I realized that the lady was asking as a conversation starter to pass the lonely, but hectic night.  I should have explained my answer, but wasn't even sure why I'd pick Diamond Dave.  Maybe it was because I'd seen him (minus Van Halen) in concert.  Maybe it was because Hagar was pop at the time.  Or, maybe I was going with the answer I thought she would give since she was a few years older than me. 

Regardless, the first Van Halen album I ever owned was OU812* and that was a copy.  I played a little of "Black And Blue" on guitar from that album.  I'd also attempted to play "Spanish Fly" from Van Halen II. 

My favorite Hagar song is "Right Now" from For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge*, but that was probably more for the video than the vocals.  Still, I could argue that Hagar is a better singer, but Roth has more of a rock voice and energy.  It's hard for me to pick a favorite Roth song, but I think he was at his best as a singer on his solo Eat 'Em and Smile* album.

*insert stupid album name joke here
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 01:28:35 PM »
David Lee Roth. Not that I know a whole lot about Van Halen, but yeah, David Lee Roth.
every

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 04:19:03 PM »
My vote goes to whoever sang lead vocals on "Eruption". His voice sounds just like a guitar; it's uncanny.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 03:26:35 PM »
Roth, even though it's the lesser of three evils. Van Halen is the the band that kicked off years of tasteless guitar playing and tight pants.

Print