Print

Author Topic: Super Mario All-Stars: SMB2 Roulette question  (Read 6872 times)

« on: January 23, 2012, 12:23:05 AM »
So I've been playing SMB2 recently for a future LP-ish Youtube series, and I remembered offhand that once quite awhile back, during the end-of-level roulette, I somehow got a bonus "3 coins service" after a losing roll.  I can't recall what I rolled other than that it was a non-winner, and I haven't ever seen this happen since.  Has anyone else ever seen this happen, and would you happen to know how it's caused?
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 04:49:40 AM »
You probably got two cherries.  If I remember correctly, one cherry is worth 1-up, two cherries is worth two 1-ups, and all three cherries is worth five 1-ups.  In real slot machines cherries also often give some kind of bonus such as an extra/free play or coins/tokens. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 08:16:09 AM »
No, I've been playing it the last couple of days, and gotten every possible winning combination several times (barring triple 7's, because that third's impossible to hit, but I know from experience that doesn't make it happen), and I haven't seen it.  This happened way back when, when I wasn't able to win the slots 50+% of the time.

EDIT: Hmm, it worked when I got cherry-seven-seven, but it only worked once in this video: http://youtu.be/67NZdLZ4PlU
I swear it was a losing one the first time I got this, but I think it may have had the seven-seven ending as well.

A cool easter egg, nonetheless, I suppose.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:25:08 PM by jdaster64 »
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 08:23:44 PM »
Same thing happened to me, but in the NES version. I'd like to know where that unused jingle listed in the SNESmusic set is actually used, if, at all.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 10:42:05 PM »
Do you have a link to that "unused jingle"?

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 03:46:04 PM »
I do not.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 10:45:38 AM »
Are you referring to this?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmQxtfz_FlE" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmQxtfz_FlE</a>

It is listed as belonging to SMB2, but, as far as I know, you only hear it in SMB3 when you play the Mario Bros. battle game in multiplayer.

Print