Print

Author Topic: Your "Pet Peeves"  (Read 53426 times)

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2008, 02:41:19 PM »
The only think I know about Ben 10 is that every time I see it on, I expect the grandfather to say something like
"I hear its amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari Kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2008, 02:47:09 PM »
Maybe Chowder's funny, maybe it isn't. The bizarre art direction, intermittent food-based stop-motion segments, and living fart cloud makes me flip over to Spongebob without fail.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2008, 02:55:56 PM »
The only think I know about Ben 10 is that every time I see it on, I expect the grandfather to say something like
"I hear its amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari Kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"

My brother and I joke about the grandfather and Campbell every time that show is on. That is Ben 10's only redeeming value; the fact that the voice of Colonel Campbell is also the voice of Grandpa Max makes watching it a little less painful.

I know deep down that Chowder is at least trying to be funny. There are several parts of certain episodes that can really make me laugh. The voice of Master Shake from Aqua Teen voices the elephant dude, so that's definitely a plus. Who knows? In a couple of years, it could be the funniest cartoon on Cartoon Network (then again, it could just get worse).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:00:56 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #138 on: August 08, 2008, 03:37:55 PM »
My biggest pet peeve... MICROSOFT WORD SPELLCHECKER. I mean, it does have its good points(like when I was completely unable to spell the word "necessary" and related words), but all those red-n-green squiggly lines are so annoying and distracting. It looks like a bunch of tiny Marios and Luigis died all over the page. And the spellchecker always expects me to write in a formal style. Sorry, I DON'T WRITE FORMALLY. I AM NOT A FORMAL PERSON. I will say "gonna", "gotta", "kinda", "wanna", "shoulda", "woulda", "coulda" and "hafta" IF I WANT TO. And don't get me started on the fights I have with it over my middle name(Renae, spelled exactly like that)!

Other pet peeves I have are...

~ The freecreditreport.com commercials. I mean, who would bother writing a song about their bad credit and the effects thereof? That is, if they didn't actually have something better to do? I guess bad credit means you're legally banned from having anything better to do than make crappy songs.
~ People who try to change your very "self" by using a prestigious position they have to influence your beliefs. I have experienced this first-hand. My biology teacher told me that even though I have incredible artistic talent, I shouldn't "set my hopes too high" and at best settle for being a graphic designer. See?! Trying to crush my hopes and dreams of comic book/cartoon fame!!! In this same manner, I feel very, very sorry for those kids who have been kept from certain kid-friendly videogames because their parents/legal guardians have religious beliefs that contradict with certain aspects of those videogames and are trying to force this onto the kids by reprimanding them for even being somewhat interested in said videogames. THAT'S JUST WRONG.
~ Labels. I mean labels for people, not for products. Labels for products can be very useful, such as "keep out of reach of children" or "caution: product may contain peanuts". Thanks for the warning. I hate peanuts. But I digress. Just because someone acts or looks a certain way or likes a certain thing, that doesn't lump them into one generic category. The only label I will ever have is "Jess" or one of my many online screennames.
~ Religious nutcases. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind people with different beliefs than me. I actually like that people believe in different things. Makes life more interesting, neh? But then there's the complete jerkwads who think that their beliefs are the ultimate truth and poop on anyone who says or even thinks otherwise. See "people changing your 'self'" above.
~ Jerkwads. Need I say more?
~ All the products based on currently popular TV shows/games/movies/books/etc. Example: "OMG WOW! New NATIONAL TREASURE Riley's Cologne! Smell just like Riley Poole from National Treasure! Act now and you can get a copy of the cipher on the back of the Declaration of Independence!" See? Dumbest thing ever. Exceptions to this pet peeve include: Pokemon Pop-Tarts. Pokemon cereal. THOSE WERE SO AWESOME. 8D
~ The Geico caveman commercials. I totally prefer the gecko.
~ Chatspeak. I don't mind people using it, it's just that its liek rly hrd 2 reed omg lol.

And that concludes today's lesson on "How to Totally Tick Jess Off". See you next week! :D
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #139 on: August 08, 2008, 03:57:44 PM »
The freecreditreport.com commercials. I mean, who would bother writing a song about their bad credit and the effects thereof? That is, if they didn't actually have something better to do? I guess bad credit means you're legally banned from having anything better to do than make crappy songs.
QFT (but, if it's stuck in your head, that's the point)

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2008, 04:13:16 PM »
I thought the pirate commercial was funny.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2008, 04:20:24 PM »
Yeah, but "so you won't end up selling fish to tourists in t-shirts" is one of the most embarassing song lines ever. As if wearing a t-shirt is the most defining characteristic of tourists. Aside from eating fish. That's a big one.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2008, 06:50:02 PM »
...Did GiftedGirl just post?

« Reply #143 on: August 08, 2008, 08:56:19 PM »
...Did GiftedGirl just post?

Yes, I did. I've finally come out of my hole-in-the-ground! Maybe I won't be such a lurker anymore. Maybe. Possibly.
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #144 on: August 08, 2008, 11:36:01 PM »
Were have you been all this time?
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #145 on: August 09, 2008, 01:38:37 AM »
I will say "wanna" IF I WANT TO.
Okay then.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #146 on: August 09, 2008, 12:15:09 PM »
Were have you been all this time?

my hole-in-the-ground!

And thus the mystery of GiftedGirl's disappearance is solved.

Next week's episode: Mothman vs. Jersey Devil cagematch!!!!1
every

« Reply #147 on: August 09, 2008, 09:24:20 PM »
Maybe Chowder's funny, maybe it isn't. The bizarre art direction, intermittent food-based stop-motion segments, and living fart cloud makes me flip over to Spongebob without fail.

Sometimes I feel that some people are just too blinded by their nostalgia to realize how average the shows they enjoyed really were (not taking a shot at you specifically, it's just that messages such as those are often used to bring down more recent cartoons).
I really like Chowder, Flapjack, and George of the Jungle (though I admit Chowder's pet Kimchi was a pretty cheap idea, but he's seldom used).

I like how George isn't as idiotic as he was in the original cartoon, but the plain character designs (specifically Ape's) bothered me at first since I'm a cartoonist myself and the idea of watching something so unappealing upset me, so I looked at the show in a negative light whenever I watched it. But, watching it now, without thinking about the character designs and having more of an open mind, I can say that I enjoy it. It isn't the best show in the world, but it's made me laugh. It is not as terrible as people are making it out to be (in fact, it isn't terrible at all).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 09:28:10 PM by PaperMario »

« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2008, 01:03:39 AM »
Sometimes I feel that some people are just too blinded by their nostalgia to realize how average the shows they enjoyed really were (not taking a shot at you specifically, it's just that messages such as those are often used to bring down more recent cartoons).

No, it's just that Chowder, Flapjack and George of the Jungle are not funny. I recently watched an old episode of Anamaniacs and compared it with a new episode of George of the Jungle. Guess what? I still laughed at Anamaniacs and groaned at GOTJ's extremely poor attempts at trying to be funny.

I also watched a new episode of Flapjack today at about 7:00 PM or so and the episode was about the blue guy and how his beard is fake (or something like that). I was really disappointed because I saw so many opportunities for the show to really hit home in the funny department, but instead they insisted on cutting to another scene just when things were about to get good. They did this about 5 times or so and I finally realized that the cartoons of today have lots of opportunities, but no one on their writing staff knows how to cash in on them. I'll admit I laughed at the scene where the pirates and their beards all got into a fight, but that was this episode's only saving grace.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 01:19:52 AM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #149 on: August 10, 2008, 06:04:06 AM »
No, it's just that Chowder, Flapjack and George of the Jungle are not funny.

All differences in our opinions about Ben 10 aside, +1.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Print